Muscle Soreness Help

Options
So, I worked my legs hard (for me, apparently) on Saturday. Yesterday, I was sore, but by the end of the day, I could barely sit or walk down the stairs because of muscle soreness. This morning, it's even worse, and I'm 2 lbs heavier on the scale than I was yesterday. I get that there is fluid retention and that there is no way to gain a true 2 lbs in a day if I maintain a deficit. I popped an Aleve this morning. What else should I do for the muscle soreness so I can get on with exercising and life? Also, how long does it take the water retention to go away? The scales have been stubborn in going down this week.

Please, be gentle. New to working out. I am just doing weight-bearing, floor exercises these days. Squats, lunges, dumb bells for my arms, etc. You get the idea.

Replies

• packer43064
    packer43064 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you have never done an exercise or doing it differently it will cause DOMS.

Delayed Onset Mucle Sorness. It will last a few days and can be pretty rough. After a week or two your body will get used to lunges, dumbell training, etc and the DOMS won't even be there unless you are adding new exercises or adding significant weight.

So all in all...wait. lol. We all have been there.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Stretch, hot bath, and patience. As previous person said.....wait it out. I stretch a lot and try to walk more. Moving helps me.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling helps :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Movement is the best thing. Even just walking. Epsom salt bath does wonders too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Over done it, all been there! Hitting muscles to hard before you have woken them up. I find a gentle cycle can help after legs day
  • l1k4
    l1k4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is from fluid retention. Move more, stretch and roll if you can. Use a tennis ball if no foam roller is handy. Rest and recover.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    AveyHam wrote: »
    Foam rolling helps :)

What is "foam rolling?" My quads, both the top and sides of them, are killing me. They keep locking up when I walk. Hopefully, that will stop after today.

I really appreciate all the advice. I'm going to go have a hot soak when the kids nap. I went for a walk this morning, which helped a little. Decided to rest today and work my core today with my workout. Going to do some stretches and read up on foam rolling.

You guys are so helpful!
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/what-is-a-foam-roller-how-do-i-use-it-and-why-does-it-hurt

I don't know about hot soaks lol but ice baths help with muscle recovery
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It happens when you do something your muscles are not used too. It will pass with time. The extra water retention should pass fairly quickly.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    if i'm really really really sore, i try to eat a lot more things that have vitamin c. and unless it's already brutally sunny, i might take a d pill as well. the c may be placebo thinking by me, but i think i've seen reports that vitamin d is one of the few things people almost agree about.

stretch if you can (gently). even if it only has temporary effect on the pain, it seems to help preserve flexibility after you're better as well. my chiro gave me a long excited talk once about stretching during a healing phase to 'train' the repaired muscle fibres about the direction you want them to lie in and prevent adhesions, trigger points, etc etc. could be he was full of *kitten*, but my experience since then kind of suggests he isn't.

and for cramps, i check my magnesium/potassium foods. midnight cramps SSSSSSSUCK. especially in something like an adductor or glute.

• Justforme160yee
    Justforme160yee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So, I worked my legs hard (for me, apparently) on Saturday. Yesterday, I was sore, but by the end of the day, I could barely sit or walk down the stairs because of muscle soreness. This morning, it's even worse, and I'm 2 lbs heavier on the scale than I was yesterday. I get that there is fluid retention and that there is no way to gain a true 2 lbs in a day if I maintain a deficit. I popped an Aleve this morning. What else should I do for the muscle soreness so I can get on with exercising and life? Also, how long does it take the water retention to go away? The scales have been stubborn in going down this week.

Please, be gentle. New to working out. I am just doing weight-bearing, floor exercises these days. Squats, lunges, dumb bells for my arms, etc. You get the idea.

I'm in the same boat. I could hardly walk down the stairs or sit on the toilet lol .. Still day 4 still have some soreness. But, little better and better everyday. Lol keep with it, I still did light cardio and worked my arms... :) good luck!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    That's me. Lol I mowed grass, went for a walk, and worked my core today. Legs are feeling better, thankfully. Still sore, but useful and tolerable. Nothing like what I felt last night and this morning.