Vegeterians/Vegans

Options
Katt91
Katt91 Posts: 5
Hello :)
Just wondering if there are any vegeterians, vegans or pescaterians on the forums?
If yes, please share how do you deliver the necessary nutrients to your body but still limit the calories?

I am a vegeterian myself, and I always struggle to provide my organism with proteins - but I TRY to remember about eating more soy products, beans or nuts.

Any tips from fellow non-meat eaters? ;)

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Just off to bed now but please feel free to look at my food diary and friend me if you want! :bigsmile:
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    oo ooo oo! I'm a vegan! Here I am!
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As far as nutrition and weight loss, I find it easier without animal products. I'll add you, and you can see my food diary. I usually go over with protein (I used to track on SparkPeople and it was the case there as well).
  • Katt91
    Options
    Hiya!

Just off to bed now but please feel free to look at my food diary and friend me if you want! :bigsmile:

I noticed you eat a lot of fruits and vegatables - something I struggle with usually :D
  • CuddleBloom
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, And I kinda struggle with the protein too. If you aren't a vegan, maybe you could try shakes? It's been suggested to me, and I've been thinking about trying it. I've been told it beats canned beans any day! Hehe.
  • Katt91
    Options
    As far as nutrition and weight loss, I find it easier without animal products. I'll add you, and you can see my food diary. I usually go over with protein (I used to track on SparkPeople and it was the case there as well).

Vegan?
    WOW, I tried many times to be vegan but failed each time :( and my wallet suffered too :D

thanks, I will 'study' your food diary and take notes :D
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian here. I've had to up my protein intake since I started serious weight training. My key protein sources are tofu, hemp protein powder (makes brilliant pancakes) and, occasionally, eggs.

Edit: also chickpeas, other pulses and occasionally Quorn.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    hmmm... if you don't eat a lot of soy, beans, nuts, fruits or vegetables, what do you normally eat?

You can get some great meal and snack ideas/recipes in the 28 day meal plan plublished here: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/vegbootcamp

each meal averages 16 g protein and each snack about 6.5 g protein.

As I write this, I'm eating curried lentils for dinner tonight with steamed broccoli and squash: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10689?section

easy and delicious!
  • kelsiehoagland
    kelsiehoagland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can go ahead and check out my food diary :) I'm a vegan. I load up on beans and veggies and fruits. Also, take a multivitamin.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I made the switch from vegetarian to vegan about three weeks ago and I haven't had any issues getting my protein. First of all, I don't think you need to have quite as much protein as MFP recommends. But also, keep in mind that vegetables, fruits, grains and beans all have protein. If you are eating lots of healthy whole foods in a plant-based diet, you won't have to worry about nutrients. Feel free to check out my food diary.

Watch the movie "Forks Over Knives". It's available for pre-order on DVD at www.forksoverknives.com
    It is a real eye-opener.
  • dcfreshstart
    dcfreshstart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quorn products are great and a nice alternative to soy for vegetarian protein. I also boost my protein with wonderslim shakes. Just add a packet of the choco mint to my morning coffee!
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm mostly vegetarian. I eat a piece of meat maybe once every 2 months.

When I began looking at my nutrient charts, I realized I was probably never going to meet requirements on some of the stuff, especially iron, without help. And I've been slightly anemic at some past blood draws. So, I began taking a simple one-a-day Whole Foods adult multivitamin with 100% iron supplementation every morning and now I meet most of my needs for vitamins and minerals.

Otherwise, I try to eat at least one or two pieces of fruit a day not only for vitamins, but to cut cravings for refined sugar and for dietary fiber and I try to pick up some steamed or roasted veggies as part of my lunch.

As for calorie restriction, I stay under what MFP suggests for me 95% of the time and I've lost 20lb (22 if you count the 2 I lost the week prior to joining). I am not going to be a 1000-calorie-a-day eater. I like food too much! My plan from the beginning was to aim for what would give me the greatest chance of lifelong weight loss and to me, I believe that is slow, steady loss and not alot of restriction. So, I aim to lose 1lb a week and I'm a little ahead without trying right now. In terms of raw intake, I usually eat around 2000 calories/day. I take some off with exercise and end up around my goal of 1810. Some days I come in way below that. Sometimes I go to a picnic or drink too much and blow the roof off of it. But day to day, I'm almost religious about staying under at least slightly.
  • winterjade
    winterjade Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am also Vegan,

I just started back on FP, but there are lots of great vegan foods/recipes....if I am looking for something different I just google different ingredients and usually find some awesome healthy ideas! But be choosy as there are lots of unhealthy vegan items too!

Nice to see oter Vegan on the forum :)
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan or vegetarian (although sometimes I eat tempeh instead of chicken in my stir-fries, if I'm cooking for a vegetarian friend), but since I've been keeping my food diary on here I've noticed how much protein whole grains contain. Switching to whole wheat bread and brown rice should help a lot. And if you're not vegan, you could always stick an egg in your brown rice for fried rice.

Nut butters help too, I make my own walnut butter for sandwiches.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm a lacto vegetarian and I don't want to be. I try to go vegan but end up eating a bunch of cheese at the end of day 1. I do a lot better eating small amounts of dairy but eating mostly vegan.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I noticed you eat a lot of fruits and vegatables - something I struggle with usually :D

It's second nature to me, really! All of my recipes contain a shedload of veg too, so even when it looks like I've not eaten many veggies, I will definitely have had them! I probably don't eat as much fruit as I should though. I've been vegetarian for most of my life, was hardcore vegan for around two years, then went back to vegetarian. Now I sometimes eat shellfish too (so pescatarian then!), although the majority of my diet is veggie. My partner is the same - has been veggie since he was 17 - and is always delighted to eat what I eat!

Sorry for being in such a hurry last night when I posted, I was completely worn out but really wanted to respond to your post!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I like to say i am vegetarian but as i eat the occasional fish dish i suppose i am really a pescatarian.

We eat alot of tofu, beans and pulses in our house, luckily my children love all of those otherwise we might be struggling for protein. Also i love eggs and we eat quorn products but even with all this i have noticed that my protein rarely gets very close to being the amount MFP suggests.

Trying to get into the habit of adding a handful of lentils to soup when i make it and maybe some chickpeas to a salad. Nice to see there are lots of vegetarians on here :-)
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and have been for years. I find I eat the limit of calories and carbohydrates, but struggle to get near the protein or fibre levels recommended. It doesn't help that i don't like quorn or tofu.
    MFP has been really helpful to try and counteract that... but I still find it difficult.
  • seeladyliv
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian!
    have you ever tried any of the Boca, morningstar, or lightlife products? I'm sure a lot of people can give you great recipes to cook tofu or mushrooms or something. But if you are too busy to cook, these products make it easy to always meet your protein intake. You can also try eating greek yogurt or cottage cheese (if you eat dairy) they both have a lot of protein and taste pretty good when you mix in some fruit. I just started eating fish this year (needed to up my protein when I started training for a marathon), because it has a high protein count and so low in fat. You can do a lot of easy meals with tuna or salmon (if you eat fish).

good luck!
  • stephnsuarez
    stephnsuarez Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    VEGAN :D Haha, honestly I adjusted my protein goals here because I usually get around 40-50 a day and my doctor said it is perfectly fine, but only because I really load up on fruits and on dark leafy greens and grains like quinoa which are full of amino acids. I also load up on nuts! Beans reallyyy mess with my stomach so I only have those about 4 times a week. I've been working out 6 days a week now for an hour, so I'm thinking of investing in some hemp protein powder to make some almond milk shakes post workout because I do think if you are active as I am you do need to up the protein a few grams.

Also should mention that I eat completely clean, NOTHING processed, which means no boca burgers, no tofu, etc. I think if you have the money for it that's awesome I guess but I personally am a college student and buying only nuts, fruits, veggies, grains, and dried beans (more work, but so much cheaper) realllllly is so incredibly cheap when you think about it because it's all you're buying. I only splurge on random things like raw cacao, stevia, raw tahini, spirulina, etc but these are one-time buys and they last forever. :)