The Odd Body Shapes

Options

Replies

• SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i ONLY get fat around my thighs and behind, it looks ridiculous. id have the upper body of an anorexic (anorexic with boobs though lol) and STILL have a fat butt. so people would look at my waist or arms and say "wow youre already skinny enough!", well sorry, it seems i need to get super skinny in my upper body first before any weight comes off my butt.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Leslie. I'm 5'6 and weigh 113lbs. I have a large rib cage that makes me look fat compared to all my friends who are the same exact height and weight as me. I don't know what to do. I work out about 4 times a week and I eat mostly healthy, I'm a vegetarian. Does anyone know how I can make myself look leaner? Clothes, workouts, eating choices?
    Me
    I I I
    VVV

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo2-3_zps8b83ce8a.jpg.html

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo1_zpsd4c34748.jpg.html

I look like this if I suck in my stomach
    I I I
    VVV
    http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo3_zps62dcc724.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I wish i looked like this
    I I I
    VVV
    http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo5_zps8176d094.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo4-2_zps7f0e6bca.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Hi Leslie.

If you are 5'6 and 113 lbs that technically declares you underweight. In your pictures you look extremely underweight. If you want to look like your 'want' photos you will have to gain weight (At least 10 lbs!) and do strength training to tone.

your ribcage wont shrink, no matter how much weight you lose. i agree, you already look too skinny and losing more is not going to make anything better. do a lot of strength training to build some muscle and try to accept your rib cage (its not THAT big btw).
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You should see me!
    I feel like I should be in one of those freak circuses!.... You know " Roll up ..roll up, come and see this woman.......!"
    I have an altered body shape that is grotesque ...hope weight lifting and swimming and a calorie deficit will do something!

I take corticosteroids! ....my face is becoming more moon shaped as the days go high dose steroids go on! I have neck fat, that looks like cervical spine curvature! My torso looks like a massive potato....my abdominal fat is all around my lower abdomen and hips! My legs are thin 'ish.........I do look like a spud on legs!
    And ....then God blessed me with massive boobs!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Leslie. I'm 5'6 and weigh 113lbs. I have a large rib cage that makes me look fat compared to all my friends who are the same exact height and weight as me. I don't know what to do. I work out about 4 times a week and I eat mostly healthy, I'm a vegetarian. Does anyone know how I can make myself look leaner? Clothes, workouts, eating choices?
    Me
    I I I
    VVV

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo2-3_zps8b83ce8a.jpg.html

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo1_zpsd4c34748.jpg.html

I look like this if I suck in my stomach
    I I I
    VVV
    http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo3_zps62dcc724.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I wish i looked like this
    I I I
    VVV
    http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo5_zps8176d094.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/lesliemedina100/media/photo4-2_zps7f0e6bca.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I agree with the other ladies. I have a large ribcage too but it doesn't stick out as much as it used to because I built some abs.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Skinny arms and legs and a chubby tummy? Sign me up. It's called "being sedentary." Try moving more throughout the day. 5 minutes of stair walking every couple of hours.

Also work on loosening up your hip flexors and hamstrings and engaging your glutes. Don't tuck your butt. My tummy flattened dramatically when I got loose enough to actually stand up straight and work the right muscles for a good posture.

http://www.katysays.com/mind-your-pelvis/

No, it's not necessarily related to being sedentary. There's also a hormonal component, which is why you see more women start towards an apple pattern of weight gain/distribution in perimenopause, menopause and post menopause. Apple shapes are more common in men at all ages.

^ I totally agree. Being sedentary does not give your body an apple shape.

Sitting on your butt all day gives you biomechanical issues that tend to lead to an apple shape.

And, Katysays.com has found that men seem to be more likely to "tuck" which is one of these biomechanical issues:

http://www.katysays.com/hamstrings/

I'm pretty sedentary and Have a fairly strong hourglass figure(I got all the butt and "chest") also have them thunder thighs... You're sounding a bit spammy and not really making a very good case for yourself..
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can have my butt and boobs, I hate them and they never seem to get any smaller!!!!

We are never happy with what we've got are we x
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS (and a bunch of other metabolic disorders) and have had the apple shape since puberty. My arms and legs are very slender, and of course as I've been losing weight, I've lost the most from those locations. I'm probably 20 lbs away from having a thigh gap and a 45 inch waist, haha. I am sick of trying to dress myself with a waist that is bigger than my hips and the same size as my bust! Let's not even talk about how hard it is to find plus size bras for a B cup!

I have relied on maternity pants for years so I'm not swimming in my clothing, and that is coming in helpful when it comes to extending my wardrobe for weight loss. I don't think I'll have to buy new pants (for the most part) for quite some time yet. I can tell that my belly fat is going to be slow to get rid of, but as I am running out of the other places to lose from there wont be much choice left!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

We are never happy with what we've got are we x

QFT
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Skinny arms and legs and a chubby tummy? Sign me up. It's called "being sedentary." Try moving more throughout the day. 5 minutes of stair walking every couple of hours.

Also work on loosening up your hip flexors and hamstrings and engaging your glutes. Don't tuck your butt. My tummy flattened dramatically when I got loose enough to actually stand up straight and work the right muscles for a good posture.

No, it's not necessarily related to being sedentary. There's also a hormonal component, which is why you see more women start towards an apple pattern of weight gain/distribution in perimenopause, menopause and post menopause. Apple shapes are more common in men at all ages.

Sitting on your butt all day gives you biomechanical issues that tend to lead to an apple shape.

And, Katysays.com has found that men seem to be more likely to "tuck" which is one of these biomechanical issues:

Posture can exaggerate or minimize the protrusion of your abdomen. It doesn't change where your weight is distributed.

While weight distribution defines the "apple shape" I can tell you that I remain an apple shape when thin. Another poster mentioned this as well. It's not just about fat.

Looking pregnant or having a pot belly, even while at a normal weight, indicates a tight psoas (and tight hip flexors and hamstrings, and the lack of gluteal engagement).

Everything about the OPs description (lack of a butt, her other problem) indicates a tight psoas as well. I'm not an expert, but I'd certainly suggest that more movement throughout the day and loosening up these tight muscles won't hurt the situation.

Posture is important but not really related to "apple shape" if genetics influence core adiposity (OP mentioned being fat without significant load on legs or arms) - that's hormonal. The belly forward or anterior pelvic tilt (why can't Katy use the words?) is a significant modern issue in sedentary people.

Resolving it Is not about walking more or being more active - it is necessary to actively strengthening the weak hip extensor and abdominal muscles (planks, hip thrusts, OHP, various leg raises, etc....)and stretching the tight hip flexor and back muscles (cobra, lunges, hip flexor strech, etc...) to address specific weaknesses and issues.

I think Katy uses the term "butt tuck" because she works with people and when she says "pelvic tilt," their automatic reaction is to tuck more.

Resolving it does take active effort. One of the things that I was advised, however, by a sports medicine doctor, was to be active throughout the day. You need motion in order to move blood and other fluids through those tissues and keep them pliant.

However, way to avoid tight hip flexors in the first place and the best way we can keep them healthy is by being less sedentary. A smarter man than me (Dan John) pointed out that, given the way our bodies adapt sooo specifically to load and intensity - it's easy to see what will happen if you work out HARD 6 hours a week and sit on your butt for the other 162 hours.

The parking in the furthest space and the stair walking and the extra lap around the floor that health practitioners keeps harping about really are keys to fitness.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I'm pretty sedentary and Have a fairly strong hourglass figure(I got all the butt and "chest") also have them thunder thighs... You're sounding a bit spammy and not really making a very good case for yourself..

LOL. Then you've been blessed with a more flexible psoas or do something regularly to stretch it out.

Have you read the links? It's just a Biomechanist handing out free information (and practical advice, such as stretches) over the internet. Nothing spam about that.

I'm an apple. I've always been an apple and will always be an apple. However, getting myself aligned has made me a sexier apple.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

LOL. Then you've been blessed with a more flexible psoas or do something regularly to stretch it out.

Have you read the links? It's just a Biomechanist handing out free information (and practical advice, such as stretches) over the internet. Nothing spam about that.

I'm an apple. I've always been an apple and will always be an apple. However, getting myself aligned has made me a sexier apple.

So your conclusion is that all apple shaped women have tight psoas muscles? That does not compute.
  • phelan999
    phelan999 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I saw a show on Discovery channel about Hashimoto's Disease, which is an autoimmune disease affecting the thyroid gland. Pale, puffy face and thin legs were symptoms. OP, have you ever had your thyroid checked?
  • likitisplit
    Options

So your conclusion is that all apple shaped women have tight psoas muscles? That does not compute.

Not at all. I think some women with a tight psoas muscle assume that they are "apples" when they are more hour glass shaped because of that fact that their stomachs are distended. On the flip side - I, myself, am an "apple" whether or not my psoas (etc) are working correctly. It's not just weight distribution but where my obliques attach.

I spent a lot of time assuming that my figure flaws were the result of "genetics" rather than understanding and fixing what was off balance. I'll never be an hourglass or a pear, but I look a lot more balanced when my body is aligned.

Also, look at all these people who get a nice round butt from doing squats. What other muscle develops that quickly? I certainly don't get biceps or quads like that. I'd suggest that much of the time it's because people learn to activate their glutes correctly and this pulls the pelvis into alignment.
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Also, look at all these people who get a nice round butt from doing squats. What other muscle develops that quickly? I certainly don't get biceps or quads like that. I'd suggest that much of the time it's because people learn to activate their glutes correctly and this pulls the pelvis into alignment.

lol, I definitely do squats but you can only build something with what you have - ain't getting a Nicki Minaj booty from squats, just isn't gonna happen haha. If this is all genetics btw - my mom has no *kitten*, no chest, and she's been rake thin her whole life and I have absolutely ZERO body type comparison with her.
  • KaitJennifer
    KaitJennifer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Girl I am the exact same way!! I have a normal B cup chest, I have nice legs with no cellulite and they look toned, and all the weight is in my stomach and face! It is honestly so frustrating
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Skinny arms and legs and a chubby tummy? Sign me up. It's called "being sedentary."

^^ This was me to the t. No more. :noway:
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Update: I got to my goal, and then due to illness surpassed it and ended up underweight at 118/lbs. My body shape? Arms and legs were still thin, but my face had become a skeletor bobble head thing. What was interesting is my stomach and ribs. I was still very wide around. My ribs were very wide set so I still had this massive wide upper body if you looked at me dead on, but rail thin from the side. I developed an almost upside down triangle as my shape. Or a big rectangle. My hips and stomach didn't curve in at all on the sides. It jusy went straight down. When I gained weight again, I gained in my face and stomach as previous. Still not in the breast or butt area at all. Also not really evenly around my body again. Body shapes are weird lol.
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight in my abdomen. I always said that I look like an egg with toothpicks sticking out of it. lol
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    justsalad wrote: »
    ...and one very odd location that I won't disclose. (which by the way... I have no clue how to lose, seems to be the only place that stays fat. You can't do any type of exercise for that area...ladies, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!)

You're talking about your mons pubis, aren't you? AKA - FUPA. Why can't you mention your mons pubis? I mean, I can mention your mons pubis and neither the ground has opened up and swallowed me nor the heavens parted and a bolt of lightning hit me. :smile:

As I mentioned in another thread about FUPAs, both men and women will end up with additional fat accumulation there as the mons pubis is composed of adipose and loves to increase in size with fat gains, just like anywhere else. A lot of women who get abdominoplasty will complain of having a 'fat vulva' afterwards when the tummy tuck exacerbates its fatty appearance against the now-taunt(er) skin of the lower abdominal musculature. For most people, the area will eventually lose the fat it gained with fat loss, too. If you are one of the unlucky ones who do not for some reason then you'll need a bit of liposuction to reduce the amount of adipose present in it.

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

That's all I do is sit on my butt all day (not exaggerating: I average under 2K steps a day) and I am very decidedly pear-shaped in my sites of fat accumulation: below the waist and above the knee, upper arms, face/neck.

I was pear-shaped before I got fat (thin arms, small bust, short narrow waist, wide hips, "thunder thighs" w/slim calves), I am pear-shaped in my fatness. That, to me, makes sense. It doesn't make sense that I'd get increased fat storage in areas that I have little subcutaneous fat preferentially over the areas where I do just because I am sitting in a chair/couch/seat. Not in amounts that would fundamentally change how I structurally store excess calories.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!