Can I still get a good bum when pregnant

Options
I've been told whilst pregnant, it's very hard to gain muscle. I wanted to train my bum again, so that when I've had my baby I would of hopefully achieved a good bum. Is they any point in doing bum exercises now, will it not make any difference?

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I can't see the harm in trying, you might gain strength and burn more calories during the day if nothing else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by burn, what were you doing before getting pregnant (basically, you don't add on new strenuous activity if you weren't doing it), and most of all, talk to your doctor!!!

Also, this is not a debate thread, as everyone should say defer to your doctor.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a pregnant woman with a nice behind. Ever. They all end up with preggo donkey dunkabutt until after baby is born.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My butt got hyooooge when pregnant.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I have never seen a pregnant woman with a nice behind. Ever. They all end up with preggo donkey dunkabutt until after baby is born.

Haha really mine was pretty awesome. ;)

But ya definitely don't start anything new.. talk to your doctor first obviously. I did a lot of bodyweight and band stuff.. hip thrusts, pull throughs, fire hydrants, goblet squats, abductions, x-band walks etc.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It depends on your previous exercise level. I have never been pregnant, but I have friends who are heavy lifters/crossfitters who continued to train as normal up until a week before their respective babies were born.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a point to doing bum exercises now. You may not achieve the aesthetic you are looking for, but strengthening your glutes does wonders for your pelvic floor. Your pelvic floor takes a pretty severe beating during pregnancy. That's why women's butts tend to pancake either during or post pregnancy. You are going to feel so much better if you choose to workout during your pregnancy. Discuss anything you plan on doing with your provider:-) Here is a pregnancy Pilates video I did throughout my pregnancy. Hope you get cleared for exercise and hope you enjoy!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7X73qN-b0
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My butt when from small to non existent while pregnant. I wasn't allowed to do anything but walk due to being on pelvic rest though (that's right, not even sex).
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Your delivery will be much easier if you continue your fitness......walk and move as much as possible. If you're talking about beginning new fitness routines, research on the Internet using reliable websites, often a Dr will suggest whatever will "cover him/her" in case a problem pops up.
    Are you able to check with birthing class teachers....clinics for expecting Mom's, a mid-wife?
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    One of the owners at the Crossfit box that I work out at, is preggers with her second child. She does not change the work out too much. This morning she lifted more weight than me!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Anyway OP, it's not recommended to start a new exercise program while pregnant.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My doctor urged me to exercise while pregnant. For me, that was walking and swimming. For you to be putting on muscle, you are going to have to gain and that's going to depend on your doctor's recommendation. I'm only allowed to gain 10lbs and even at that, I need to lose like 100. :D So I'm just focusing on NOT gaining.
  • Vjesticica
    Vjesticica Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It is perfectly fine to start a new program while pregnant, as long as you don't push it.
    Many women start working out while pregnant, either because they have weight issues and need to be careful about how much they gain, or because they are getting ready for delivery.
    Pregnancy is not easy on the body, but it is easier if you are not completely out of shape.

No jumping or rolling on your stomach, you need to stop if you feel discomfort or have complications, baby first, gym record second, but otherwise no need to give up for the year.

I ran when I was pregnant up to the 8th month (at that point she'd start kicking, which aggravated my all-nine-months sickness, that's the only reason I stopped), and I did yoga-like S-factor workouts literally the night before I had the baby.

You can have an awesome bum while pregnant (just ask my husband), and you can find exercises that will help you do that and help build the muscles that carry the baby inside of you and work so hard when the time comes for delivery, so it can be very useful.
  • Alluminati
    Options

Wrong.

I haven't seen one with a nice behind. So well have to disagree :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Wrong.

I haven't seen one with a nice behind. So well have to disagree :)

Mine is damn nice. So I guess we will have to disagree.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How far into your pregnancy are you? The general rule of thumb is to keep doing what you were doing before, and if that was nothing the "safe" in pregnancy exercises are walking, swimming, and yoga.

That being said, I'm in my 3rd trimester. At 33 weeks, I still do cardio 2-3x a week, walk, and do yoga, and work 10 hour days on my feet. I've changed up my work outs depending on how they felt many times, and Lil'Bit is thriving. Start slow. If you're past your 2nd trimester, avoid things that may cause you to lose your balance or lay on your back/stomach, and anything that is a fall risk is generally a no-no. My OB says that listening to our bodies is the best thing we can do. Discomfort should not be ignored.

ETA: Most pregnancy workouts I have done have included squats and things of that nature.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 weeks and I still go to the gym 4-5 days a week. My doctor said no lifting anything over my head...but that might be because he knows I'm super ungraceful normally, and twice as clumsy pregnant. Other than that, I was told to try and keep my heart rate under 140 or be able to have a conversation while working out. He said they worry about people overheating more than anything.

This is my 3rd kid and I'm not running any more. I can only jog for about 5 minutes before I feel like I'll pee myself, so I'm mostly walking, swimming, doing some weight machines, elliptical, and that stupid stationary bike.

I was also told don't start a new workout program while pregnant.

Oh, and my *kitten* is huge. So, I might have to agree with @alluminati. It was huge with all 3 kids. I only gain in the gut and the but.

Just enjoy being pregnant though. Unless you are a Duggar, you are only going to be pregnant a couple of times in your life. Growing a person is kinda hard. Exercise, but don't get all worked up about what your body will look like post pregnancy. Once you are holding that baby it is all worth it and you do lose pregnancy weight.
  • Alluminati
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I should have clarified :(

Preggo donkey dunkabutt is more about the shape than the size (in my eyes, anyway). Yes, the booty may grow because it has to store all the fat to nourish the baby but it's the way the back almost looks like a saddleback on a horse because the weight in front is pulling everything forward. Some who store fat in the love handle area look especially pronounced when this happens. I can almost always recognize a pregnant butt from the back even if the girl is small and tiny just by the way the booty juts out. It's not an aesthetically pleasing shape to my eye, but that's my opinion and you know what they say about those. :expressionless:

The point of my post was really that the body can look so different pre, during, and post pregnancy. Work out if the doctor says so but be aware that the booty may look vastly different in both phases.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified :(

Preggo donkey dunkabutt is more about the shape than the size (in my eyes, anyway). Yes, the booty may grow because it has to store all the fat to nourish the baby but it's the way the back almost looks like a saddleback on a horse because the weight in front is pulling everything forward. Some who store fat in the love handle area look especially pronounced when this happens. I can almost always recognize a pregnant butt from the back even if the girl is small and tiny just by the way the booty juts out. It's not an aesthetically pleasing shape to my eye, but that's my opinion and you know what they say about those. :expressionless:

The point of my post was really that the body can look so different pre, during, and post pregnancy. Work out if the doctor says so but be aware that the booty may look vastly different in both phases.

I know exactly what your trying to say.
    And agree that the body can look very different during pregnancy.