New to running - any tips)))

Options
I never considered myself a runner (still debatable lol) But I'm trying. Currently I will run 30sec walk 30sec for a couple miles. Working pretty well. Short term goal is to be able to run a mile at a decent rate. Any tips or advice is welcome

Replies

• FatimaStartsAllOver
    Options
    I don't consider myself a runner either. I completed the C25K once (6 months ago); I recently started back running/jogging this week three days M-W-F and each day I tried something different. Monday I ran/jog 15 straight mins walked 2 mins and ran/jog again 15. Wednesday I ran/jog 10 mins, walked 3 mins, ran/jog 5 mins, walked 2 mins then ran/jog 8. Friday I did intervals of 60sec/60sec for 30 mins. I think I like intervals far better....
  • amycurtisqueen
    amycurtisqueen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I want to be a runner (and I've done some 5k's where I mostly walked quickly with a few jog spurts). Right now, I can only run 40 seconds and walk 2 min 20 sec and repeat for 30 minutes. I know, that's pathetic! BUT even that is kicking my rear! I do have a trainer and she is upping my run by 5 seconds per week and reducing my recovery time by 5 seconds. I'd love some running friends, if anyone needs friends.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to just walk/Run or are you working towards a No Walking Run? At some point if your trying to steady run your going to have to increase your non-stop 1 mile run at least by 10% if you are happy with walk/run method your fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    starrz1269 wrote: »
    I never considered myself a runner (still debatable lol) But I'm trying. Currently I will run 30sec walk 30sec for a couple miles. Working pretty well. Short term goal is to be able to run a mile at a decent rate. Any tips or advice is welcome

So a structured plan can be quite helpful, to avoid doing too much too soon but pushing you to progress.

Take it easy, go at a pace that's comfortable to you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. I never ran AT ALL. I hated it. But for some reason I still can't quite figure out, I did C25K last spring. I ran 1 mile days before my 61st birthday and last Sunday I ran ALL of my 5k. Still can't quite believe it. I feel like I'm talking about someone else!
    C25k will get you to the "all run" point, don't push it. Take it at whatever pace is comfortable for you. Keep up the good work.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a runner and always did high incline treadmill walks for my cardio, but I'm now on week 3 of Couch To 5K and enjoying it! Might be worth a go if you want to slowly build up your stamina :smile:
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is don't do Too much Too fast!! Run/walk intervals are the best way to start. Make sure your form is good, keep your shoulders back to keep your diaphragm open for good air circulation and I find a slight tilt in my tailbone stops lower back pain. Your foot should strike mid foot to toe rather than heel to toe. Keep doing what you are doing cause it's awesome!!! BTW.... @starzz1269 & @Fatimaelder if you run than you are both Runners!!!! High Five to you both!!! :)

Agreed! Build your endurance and stride rate slow but steady you don't wanna injure yourself like i did. Jumper's knee. It hurt like hell and took months to recover
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I remember back when I first started to run, completing a mile without walking was my goal. I did what you are doing and I tried to push a little bit farther on each run. I never even worried about speed, just focused on run (really was a slow jog) distance.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on becoming a runner, but I agree a lot with the advice on here already, particularly the bit about the shoes. I started out with just my regular gym shoes and within a few weeks, my knees were killing me. I was in so much pain. I went to a running store and got fitted. The new shoes were awesome and no more knee or foot pain.
    Seriously invest in some running shoes. They don't need to be fancy (mine are New Balance because my dad was buying them for me and he only buys new balance), but something that will work for your feet.

Good luck!!! We both can do it!!!
  • Sharpiejasspring
    Options
    Start slowly, set a plan of walk/run intervals and build up as you go. You will be running 5k before you know it. Also invest in some running shoes, really make a difference and will put some bounce in your step.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Basicgreatguy, thanks for taking the time to pass all that info along to us newbies :) I used to run when I was in my 20's and never thought about any of that stuff. I'm now in my 50's and on week seven of C25K and being much more mindful. The last thing I want to do is have an injury.

Like other people have said, I have found C25K a really good program. I've spent lots of time hiking, walking, x country skiing, swimming, and snowshoeing. After losing 82 pounds I finally felt ready to tackle running. It feels wonderful. Okay, maybe not wonderful while I'm doing it. But sitting here, reading these awesome posts, drinking my coffee, after running this morning, feels pretty darn good :)

We got this!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Basicgreatguy, thanks for taking the time to pass all that info along to us newbies :) I used to run when I was in my 20's and never thought about any of that stuff. I'm now in my 50's and on week seven of C25K and being much more mindful. The last thing I want to do is have an injury.

Like other people have said, I have found C25K a really good program. I've spent lots of time hiking, walking, x country skiing, swimming, and snowshoeing. After losing 82 pounds I finally felt ready to tackle running. It feels wonderful. Okay, maybe not wonderful while I'm doing it. But sitting here, reading these awesome posts, drinking my coffee, after running this morning, feels pretty darn good :)

We got this!

Even though I made some grammatical mistakes in my post, (from typing too fast) I am glad that it was of help to you. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Once you finish your C25K program, there is a C210K app you can look at. It is made by the same people. And in my opinion, it is not really worth the money. Half of the app is starting from mile zero, which you are already conquering.

It would be a good idea (if you haven't started already) to incorporate foam rolling into your post run recovery. I use this foam roller. It is an excellent deep tissue massager. It does take some building up to, as it can be a little painful in the beginning, (trigger point wise) if you aren't used to it. It is very well made and you won't have to worry about it breaking on you are losing its shape. Using the foam roller will help you recover faster, not to mention help keep your muscles from getting tight and staying that way. Even if you aren't experiencing any tenderness, stiffness, or soreness in your calves, hips, quads, IT band etc., it good to foam roll those muscles anyway and get them used to being messaged on a deeper level. I would start with 30 seconds per muscle twice a day, and slowly build from there.

I wish you well with your running and hope that you can stay injury free.
  • epac0127
    epac0127 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try this app. I2p035welo74e.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Wow @BasicGreatGuy that was fab.

I started taking running seriously at the beginning of this year, and i loved what you said about not focussing on speed because running is more than that.

I enjoy leaping over tree roots, running down rocky paths and trying not to break my ankle. I have to temper my speed against the technique of how to pluck a blackberry from the bush without stopping. My runs aren't about speed, because my terrain differs, and boy do my muscles know about it!!! I am so surprised to call myself a runner, that's something I never ever thought I would do.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Wow @BasicGreatGuy that was fab.

I started taking running seriously at the beginning of this year, and i loved what you said about not focussing on speed because running is more than that.

I enjoy leaping over tree roots, running down rocky paths and trying not to break my ankle. I have to temper my speed against the technique of how to pluck a blackberry from the bush without stopping. My runs aren't about speed, because my terrain differs, and boy do my muscles know about it!!! I am so surprised to call myself a runner, that's something I never ever thought I would do.

I agree with you, girl. Running trails is fun, not to mention challenging. I don't like falling down on occasion. However, the varying terrain and being able to see deer, snakes, rabbits, bobcat, occasional wolf, turtles, and cranes makes it all worthwhile, compared to constantly having to run on asphalt.

If a person wants a good workout, or is looking to build his or her core, running trails (without varying terrain of ascent and descent) will definitely build one's core, not to mention make you sore at times. I agree with you there. :)

Have you ever gotten so deep in the running zone, that you feel as if you are floating and looking down on yourself as you run? Everything is real and at the same time it looks and feels surreal. That kind of feeling happens to me a lot during my long run. Reminds me of the line from "Comfortably Numb," when it says, "your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying."

I think a lot of people get so caught up in trying to be fast every time etc., that they miss what running is really about (or at least can be.

Not everyone is in to trail running or long distance running and I can understand the various reasons why. At the same time, I think the runner's zone can still be experienced wherever one may be, if one sees running for more than just mere exercise. It is an ever changing experience.

It is like always being on a first date. You are nervous and excited all at the same time. At least that is how I often feel when it comes to long distance.

I am glad that running makes you excited and you take time to experience what is around you, instead of running through it. I wish more people had that kind of passion and excitement. I hope it always stays that way for you, girl. :) I wish you the very best with your running.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make sure to wear running shoes with cushion. I neglected to take it seriously and ended up with shin splints. I just had to happen once and I will never let it happen again.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are male or female... if you are a lady, make sure you have a good sports bra. After well-fitting shoes, that's the most important thing for me.

And not running to fast, too soon.
    Running slowly and taking walk breaks is perfectly fine - and it's a much much better idea that injuring yourself.