TO ALL BICYCLE-RIDERS (Story w/ pics)

Options

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    YES helmets are a MUST! But remember, now that you have crashed in yours, you need to buy a new one because the structure and safety of the old one could be compromised! Thank God you are ok!!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Such a good post! My son last weekend went to my dad's and was riding his bike. He was getting really hot and my dad told him to take off his helmet (grrrrrrr) because it would cool him down. My 4 year old yelled "NO! I need it for safety!!!!" I couldn't have been prouder!

That is AWESOME! You did a great job teaching him. :smile:
  • tmacs
    tmacs Posts: 60
    Options
    Wow, great PSA! Also, glad you are "okay."
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    AMEN to helmets and buy yourself a ROAD ID. ((hugs))
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC POST! Glad you're alright!
  • turnerjh
    turnerjh Posts: 17
    Options
    Glad you are ok! I always wear my helmet and get so frustrated when the only people I see wearing helmets are the adult "serious" riders and none of the kids. So thanks to all of you loving parents on here who are actually taking care of your kids by keeping them as safe as possible. Parents in my sleepy town must think the roads are made of marshmallows :o) I wrecked a couple of years ago going over railroad tracks and had some nice road rash on my face...but no knots on my head because of the helmet! I also invested in a RoadID which I wear everytime I run or bike. Hopefully, you never need it but I would rather err on the side of caution.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    So glad you are ok and I always wear my helmet no matter how long or short the ride. I also agree you NEED a ROAD ID braclet. They start at only $15 and I think all cyclist should have one. Again glad you are ok!! Thanks for sharing.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Really glad you're okay and thank you for sharing.
  • N3OKI
    N3OKI Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Hope you feel better soon.
  • jewelstam
    jewelstam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I will be showing this to dd14. Glad you are okay! Also glad to see I am not the only one constantly fighting with my daughter who swears she is the only one who has to wear a helmet. (sadly when I see most people on bikes these days it appears she might be right). But glad to see I am not the only mean mom who makes everybody in the family wear a helmet.
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wear my helmet and I now wear gloves after going over my handle bars and landing on metal grip strips and ripping my hands up. I have oval shaped scars and had severely bruised wrists and leg. I love riding by bike but I know things can go bad really quickly. I am glad you are okay and thanks for the reminder :ohwell:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and glad you are ok. I need to get my helmet... (shame on me)
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I didn't want to feel like I was getting up on a soapbox and lecturing folks, but it's a lesson that hit me pretty damn hard. I am starting to feel a little better today, though a concussion is never a nice thing to have and my right hand is still swollen and sore. I'm thankful that I wasn't seriously hurt, and it's thanks to that helmet.

I will be getting a new helmet now that the old one is cracked, of course. Won't be riding without it! That, and a Road ID. I was thinking before that I should get one, but now I won't go biking again until I have one. It would have been terrible if I hadn't come to my senses enough to tell the EMTs what they needed to know.

Thanks again, everyone! It's great to know that I might have reminded at least a few people of something that could save their lives (or even just the quality of their lives). Keep on riding, MFPers, but be safe!
  • CirrusMoth
    CirrusMoth Posts: 35
    Options
    Don't ever scare me like that again!!! I'm just so glad you're going to be alright.

Though, on a lighter note, a part of me was amused to be on the other side of the hospital bed this time. :-)
  • rhinobutt
    rhinobutt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am glad you are okay!
    We always wear our helmets and make our kids wear them too, even though they protest.
    I am amazed at how many times I see families riding where the kids have on a helmet, but the parent doesn't. That is like putting your kid in a car seat, but not buckling your own seat belt.

Hope your recovery goes well!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Great reminder. So glad you're okay!
    I second the Road ID! It's a great purchase. If anybody is interested in getting one PLEASE PM me! I just ordered a new one recently and got a discount code that I can pass along and I will be happy to share it with all of you! :)
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for Road ID. Great company, fast service. Geared towards cyclists, runners and other athletes.

www.roadid.com

I wear mine all the time so I don't forget to wear it on the bike. I got the "Interactive" version which has a link for detailed medical info (including your insurance).

Glad you are ok. Bike crashes are no fun.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old and I had a heated argument just a couple of weeks ago about helmets. He rides a caster board, you see. He kept insisting that he didn't need a helmet because he's never fallen in such a way that he's hit his head. I said, "Yeah, and you've never been in a car accident that launched you out the windshield, either--does that mean you don't need a seat belt?" Once again had the "risk reduction" talk, but he was adamant.

So I caved, in my own special way. I said, "Okay, you're right--you don't need to wear a helmet because you don't have a caster board anymore. You don't have a bike or a scooter, either. There--you get your way, no more helmet."

Ooooh, I am the meanest Mommy ever!

Kris
    Actually I think that is a brilliant way to make your point! Go you! ^ Glad to hear you are okay and that you wore your helmet!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story ~ very good reminder. I have a feeling I will think of you every time I get on my bike!
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great post. Helmet and RoadID - never go biking without them. Hope you feel better soon.