Getting toned abs as a female.

Options
I am a woman and my ultimate goal would be to get a toned but still flat tummy where you can see just a little muscle. What kind of diet do I need to achieve this? I don't want thick, I don't want a six pack or Jillian Michaels abs or something else like that. I'm short and I'd still like to stay petite but toned. Is it a matter of gaining muscle or just losing fat so the muscle I have shows? Would low fat, high protein, medium carbs help me do this? Again I don't want thick and I don't want it too muscular like a lot of these famous trainers but I am trying for a little ab muscle. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit (or maintenance, if you're just looking to recomp), heavy lifting, and adequate protein intake (.8-1 gram per pound of lean mass). http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good genes helps, too. My wife sports a six pack without being particularly lean. I have to be quite lean to show ab muscles. It's just the way we're made, and where we carry our fat.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what was said above. calories deficit, lifting and yeah that's about it!

Is this more or less what you are talking about? Left is no flex Right is flex. Height 1.68 weight fluctuates around 59kg (about 500g up or down on any given day)

To get here has taken me for bloody ever!!! Including about 2.5 months of horrid restrictive bodybuilding competition prep diet (I pulled out of prep 3 weeks ago but am maintaining and back on IIFYM at maintenance cals)

pm6sn6baho06.jpg
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    LKM667 wrote: »
    I am a woman and my ultimate goal would be to get a toned but still flat tummy where you can see just a little muscle. What kind of diet do I need to achieve this? I don't want thick, I don't want a six pack or Jillian Michaels abs or something else like that. I'm short and I'd still like to stay petite but toned. Is it a matter of gaining muscle or just losing fat so the muscle I have shows? Would low fat, high protein, medium carbs help me do this? Again I don't want thick and I don't want it too muscular like a lot of these famous trainers but I am trying for a little ab muscle. Thanks in advance!

You may already have a good muscle base if your current exercise program engages the core. Losing weight may expose more muscle definition.

You need a deficit to lose weight. I prefer choosing foods with low sugar rather than low fat because sugar doesn't have any nutrients. Also I like to get my protein high. I use a food scale for accurate calorie counting.

You need an exercise program to help retain muscle during weight loss. A progressive weight lifting program can help keep your lean body mass and make you more powerful. You have to train hard to build muscle.
  • carleeeyyy_6
    carleeeyyy_6 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Decrease bf%
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calorie defecit, progressive resistance
  • melissaa093
    melissaa093 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do a little ab workout every day and youll definately see results if youre consistent with it. Worked for me!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Do a little ab workout every day and youll definately see results if youre consistent with it. Worked for me!

Not without a calorie deficit to reduce the body fat. There's no such thing as spot reduction. An ab workout will work the muscles beneath the fat, but does nothing to get rid of the fat covering them.
  • LKM667
    LKM667 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would think a calorie deficit would be a given for most goals but what kind of diet? High protein, low fat? Or does low carb do a better job? Which is used most for toning?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would think a calorie deficit would be a given for most goals but what kind of diet? High protein, low fat? Or does low carb do a better job? Which is used most for toning?

Carbs fat protein all just calories so really doesn't matter. Figure out your Minimum Fat and Protein for survival then eat below calorie TDEE watch the abs come out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you need a calorie deficit + precise logging + precise macros + structured training regimen = abs
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you need a calorie deficit + precise logging + precise macros + structured training regimen = abs

This^^^ It's as simple as it gets and it's exactly what worked for me to achieve "abs". I will add though that through trial and error with my macros i've personally found it easier to maintain abs when I eat high fat, moderate carb, moderate protein. This will vary from person to person of course.