Leg ache after run

Options
Tonight I manged to run 2.5 miles in 25 minutes which I'm chuffed with as I weigh 220lbs.

Anyway, despite a 5 minute warmup, stretches and warmdown I have a slight pain below my knee and above my ankle.

Can anyone recommend some good stretches to help me avoid injury next time?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your running history? You might be doing too much too fast. Build up gradually with intervals as couch to 5k program does.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to running however I've been running at a comfortable pace as advised on this forum. Never had pain after exercise before
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Still a fairly new runner myself so not in a position to recommend specific stretches as still trying to figure out for myself, and started to get ankle pains also.

Just wanted to say well done - that's a great pace. I assume you're also trying to lose weight? I've certainly found that running has been a lot easier on my joints and shins even with the little bit of weight I've lost so far (about 6.5kg/14lbs). Some of that will also be a better running motion but apparently every 1lb of weight you lose can reduce the impact force on your knees by 4-5 times that amount so hopefully that will help as you progress as well. Keep it up!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Given your previous post, this is a classic case of too much, too soon

I'd recommend a structured plan to help you progress without injuring yourself

fwiw I injured my knee a couple of years ago after a half marathon, and when I managed to get back to running I was back at a run for 5 minutes walk for 1 minute routine to avoid a relapse.
  • jdawson002
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't feel I was pushing myself but i guess I will have to slow down further.

Some advice on the best before and after stretches would be ideal
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personally I don't bother. First ten minutes is relatively easy paced, then into the session. Afterwards I'll just walk it out.

And it's not the pace, its the volume. Run/ walk is a good way to get decent mileage in whilst reducing your injury risk.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    5 minutes warm up does'nt sound enough really, I joined a running club in May, we do about 10minutes & the exercise after is just as important, as my coach says that the muscles contract & twist, so the cool down stretch is to get them back to where they should be.
    Saying that I've also hurt my knee, also I think its too much too soon, I never ran before I joined the club & I've been running 4x a week.
    Its a bug & makes you want to do more, go further, go faster, we just have to remember we are probably shocking our bodies!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Is it just one leg? Maybe you are overcompensating for an imbalance. I might try some unilateral strength work like step-ups and single leg elevated glute bridges.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your shoes to make sure there is enough cushion. I had pain in my legs and thought I would run through it only to discover I had shin splints.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Given your running history, or rather lack of, I agree with the previous member who suggested a probable overuse problem.

Remember in your other thread, when many of us where encouraging you to make your runs very easy? I believe it was also mentioned, that one's ability to transport and use oxygen throughout the body is one of the quickest benefits seen with new runners. The problem comes, when a new runner thinks, that just because he or she can run a little faster than before, that the entire body is able to handle the new stress of running. It takes weeks upon weeks for your ligaments, joints and bones to strengthen, so that they can properly handle the stress of running. And any time you run faster or farther than before, or run on different terrain etc., you are placing new stress on your body. And when you are a bigger guy, it makes it all the more important to be very mindful of your pace, even if you feel you can handle it.

You have to learn how to run slow before you can run fast.

Running is much more than about speed or even distance numbers. Running faster every session is going to lead to one place and that place is injury. Runner faster is not going to make you lose weight any faster. Forget about speed and concentrate on having the proper running form, and running slow.
  • jdawson002
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

Even though I thought I was running slow I guess I should slow down more.....I'm just eager to hit that 3.1 mile (5k) milestone!!
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The pain/soreness I felt running/jogging in the 200's just reassured me that I was working hard to lose weight and on the right track. The more you continue to lose/keep up with running; the better it gets...it's still painful but it subsides over time
  • jdawson002
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Is it just one leg? Maybe you are overcompensating for an imbalance. I might try some unilateral strength work like step-ups and single leg elevated glute bridges.

yes its just my right leg....my left is absolutely fine