SEROTONIN

Options
Hi everyone. I would like to know if any of you have had experience with serotonin supplements. I am considering it as I have been having trouble with everything! Depression, tiredness, and sleeping disorder. I also want to eat eat eat.

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more tryptophan rich foods as this will help your body produce serotonin.

Nuts, seeds, cheese, red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, tofu, oats, beans, lentils, eggs.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    leahdyanne wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I would like to know if any of you have had experience with serotonin supplements. I am considering it as I have been having trouble with everything! Depression, tiredness, and sleeping disorder. I also want to eat eat eat.

I second Dianne. Supplements probably won't work at best, and could be harmful at worst. They aren't tested and regulated.

These are issues to be discussed with a doctor.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Would go see a doctor and get a prescription if they think it's necessary for ssri don't mess with supplements.
  • bugsypemberton
    bugsypemberton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A little late here but thanks all. Went to dr. No sign of depression per se. "Just old age" he said. As we age, we drop a lot of things naturally developed in our systems. So he has me on melatonin, which believe it or not, has helped and is natural! Thanks guys!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Did you see your gp or a psychiatrist? Most HP's aren't well versed in mental health issues
  • bugsypemberton
    bugsypemberton Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dont need a psychiatrist but my GP is very well versed
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ok just wondering as most GPs don't know that much about psych meds and a psychiatrist is an expert in them. That's why I was wondering.