Low sodium lunch meat, please!

Options
kim_mc
kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
Anyone know of any low sodium lunch meat? I like to have a sandwich or make a wrap at luch time or to take to work and the sodium in that meat is horrible!!

Replies

• rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hillshire Farm has turkey and ham that are low sodium! They come in the tupperware with the red lids, but I have only found them at Walmart.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    bump, I'd love to know this too.

I've heard of a brand called Applegate Farms that has organic lunch meat low in sodium, but I've never been able to find the one I want!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree - Hillshire farm. I bought the turkey one recently (at Meijer).
  • jacs2806
    jacs2806 Posts: 23
    Options
    Sara Lee low sodium at the deli.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am not being a smart a%# but make your own! Get a turkey breast or chicken to put in the oven and use that instead. It is better for you and it tastes a lot better as well. I get a boneless/skinless turkey breast and season it with Mrs.Dash before I bake it. There is no salt in the seasoning so the only salt/sodium that is in the meat is what is already in the turkey when I buy it. Good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ugh I know how you feel. I'm trying to cut back on processed foods, and sandwich meats seem to all be terrible.
    I like to roast some chicken in the oven, let it cool, and then pull it apart and throw it in the fridge/freezer. That way I know it isn't full of random crap that I don't want to eat.

Works great for sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Do you have a costco near you? Columbus lunch meat is known to be low in sodium and is delicious!
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    Healthy Ones brand
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with making your own chicken and ham, but I'd love to find a low sodium roast beef!!! That's my favourite. The cals are fine but the sodium is off the charts!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    farmland and saralee have lower sodium options, but really you aren't going to get much lower then them. it it is processed and packaged you are gonna have to plan your day around your sodium intake which i have done.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I used to buy the Sara Lee low sodium lunch meat that you can find at the deli section of the store. If you have an Aldi store nearby, they have a Fit & Active brand. If you already don't have a food scale, I would suggest getting one.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I am not being a smart a%# but make your own! Get a turkey breast or chicken to put in the oven and use that instead. It is better for you and it tastes a lot better as well. I get a boneless/skinless turkey breast and season it with Mrs.Dash before I bake it. There is no salt in the seasoning so the only salt/sodium that is in the meat is what is already in the turkey when I buy it. Good luck with your weight loss journey :)

I agree - there's no such thing as "low sodium deli meat" just take fresh stuff and cook it for the week. I have to admit that one of the benefits of doing MFP was understanding how much sodium was in my food and when I found out about deli meat, I haven't been back! BTW I don't miss it either.