Seasoned Citizens Forum for those 60+

Options
I know there's one for 40 plus but I know I was in the best shape of my life in my 40s. Then menopause hit! Now, at 61, I find it much more difficult to lose weight. So lets talk about weight loss in our almost twilight years.

Replies

• Magnolia51
    Magnolia51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 64, and yes, it's not easy! Am doing plenty of exercise and going low-carb plus vegetables, but oh, the flabby bits. Bingo-wings? from Diane
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and almost back to the weight I was in my 40s. It has been a struggle. I have been trying to move more and eat better although I've never really been a food junkie. I guess I'm just paying more attention to things and not giving up every other week. Good luck with finding what works for you.
  • Rigibann
    Rigibann Posts: 3,663 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 64, have struggled with weight for as long as I can remember and very much a yo-yo dieter. Only this time it will be different. I plan to stay focussed but not beat myself up if I slide now and again - that's what life is about.

Once in the twilight years it is much harder to lose that extra weight and it goes much slower, so patience is very much the order of the day.

Our bodies are not so receptive either and I have noticed that losing weight does leave my skin somewhat droopy - and yes I do exercise to try and help but I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause.

Regardless of this I feel better in myself when losing those extra pounds - I still have some way to go, I suppose I would be happy if I could get rid of another 14 - 20 pounds.

Keep checking on mfp - the motivation from this site is amazing, good luck everyone.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and, yes, it is a struggle. I have been using MFP since the end of January and have lost 24 pounds. Definitely slow, but at least something good is happening. I took three vacations during the month of August, so I am scared to get on the scale and see what damage has been done. I am not going to stress about it, though, because I believe that life is short and meant to be enjoyed, which for me, is not dieting while on vacation.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    66 next month. Lost 40 lbs in 5 months 3 years ago and just lost 25 lbs in 3 months. So, losing weight is pretty easy for me. Just need to stop putting it back on by slipping back into bad eating habits.

All I do is set a cal/macro limit and stick w/it by logging everything I eat/drink. Cut out all sugars and most starches and eliminate sodas and alcohol. Add regular cardio and weight lifting and that does it.

Works for me. I'm 5'8" and am back to 170# @ 20% BF which is a good place for me. May try to get to 165# @ 15% BF, where I've been b4 but it's not critical. Just don't want to top 195# @ 25% BF again.
  • Rigibann
    Options
    @sgt1372 wow that's impressive - tell me please, are you male or female?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Rigibann wrote: »

Male. :)
  • Rigibann
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Rigibann wrote: »

Male. :)

Aaaah - that explains it, don't know why but men seem to be able to lose weight a lot easier when they put their mind to it - that's my thoughts anyway - well done it's still a great achievement. I have a sedentary desk job, find gym workouts boring (but love exercise classes and do three/four a week) and have an old, old dog that walks so slow my daily walks are pointless lol !