How do you deal with the munchies...

Options
Helice
Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
So im suffering from the munchies at the moment..
And im trying to ask my belly if it is actually hungry, with no response back...

Its currently 04:01 so i know im going to be sleeping very soon, and therefore i would rather not eat more than i already have done..
So the problem is, is what do i do to stop these munchies?

I cant exercise because people are sleeping, and i cant go for a walk because im settled in bed...
But i cant sleep yet because im restless... And i cant cook a meal to stem what could be hunger because of the time..

So..
What do you guys do to stop the munchies..????

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    16oz of water with lemon. Or 2 cups of watermelon. Helps me every time. Good luck.
  • mucha3grls
    Options
    Midget Dill Pickles 0 calories
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    When you figure out the answer to this, let me know! I usually give in! :(
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Cup of tea, no sugar
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i have a protein shake every evening and it really helps me!
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Celery stick with light cream cheese and sliced olives. Or sometimes celery stick with peanut butter and raisins. Got me through today's munchies.
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    grab something super light such as a banana or some apple slices or maybe some tea or something, just to hold you over til you can fall asleep. once your asleep, you wont be thinking about it! :D
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    water and healthy small stuff. nuts, olives, peanuts, dark choc etc... make it small and it'll fell like a good snack
  • beloveddoll
    Options
    I go with drinking water lately if I don`t have the strength to tell myself no. So for me, I try using sheer willpower first. Then move on to something that`s 0 calories (water currently). It will at least my stomach the satisfaction of receiving something without ruining my diet.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Brush your teeth. I never want to eat right after I brush. :)
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    16oz of water with lemon. Or 2 cups of watermelon. Helps me every time. Good luck.

Ditto this. Lemon water helps me a lot, as does fruit (especially fruit that takes time to eat - I have to ask myself if I REALLY want to go to the trouble of peeling an orange or dismantling a pomengranate...)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I checked out your diary, Why are you shooting for only 800 calories NET?
    Looks like you are setting yourself up to fail.

Also when you eat more nutrient dense food you'll be much less hungry.
    Shoot for 1200 calories of good nutrition. Other wise you'll end up screwing up your metabolism and when your my age it will be much harder to lose weigh (Gosh, How'd I figure that out.... loh, yeah years of experience)
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    First try drinking a glass of water. In 15 minutes, if you are still hungry, eat some fruit. It does the trick for me.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I dittto what AuntieBabs says, I keep sugarfree hawaiin punch by my bed at night, and water for those cravings....
  • selmaguzman
    Options
    I'm usually upstairs when this occurs so I make sure I have to walk downstairs to get anything to eat. Then I only eat low calorie food. Then walk back upstairs. Then wait and if I'm still hungry I then I go through the whole routine again until I get tired of walking up and down the stairs. Probably not very effectual.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I checked out your diary, Why are you shooting for only 800 calories NET?
    Looks like you are setting yourself up to fail.

Its because i have told MFP that i have a sedentary lifestyle.. but i add in and burn about 600 calories each day..
    so my goal for the end of the day is always above 1,500 calories...
    and if it was at 1,200 like it originally was.. then i would be aiming to eat 2,000 calories a day... and i dont feel comfortable with that...

Pluss if when you add your own goal you check the bottom right corner you see how much you would loose if you ate the amount of calories in your net goal....
    and according to MFP if i want to loose 2 pound a week my goal should be 720 calories..
    and 800 is a pound and a half...
    and 950 is 1 pound...
    so again abit worried by the 1,200 calorie default goal..
  • darhp758
    darhp758 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with Auntibabs on this, you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, NOT including your exercise calories. You're body is going to burn less calories and it will be harder for you to lose weight if you keep your calorie intake so low. Be patient, learn to find things that fill you up rather than high calorie foods that do not fill you up. Eat fruit rather than drink fruit juices. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. On the days you don't exercise and only get 1200 cals a day, don't eat empty high calorie foods. Good luck!
  • mucha3grls
    Options
    Midget Dill Pickles, 2 at only 10 calories.
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Maybe not to beat the munchies but.... if you're laying in bed--20 mins before I plan on falling asleep I take 300mcg of melatonin and it knocks me out. I drink it was about three glasses of water. So I'm full and TIRED, and there's no way I can bring myself to get out of bed to eat.

Give it a shot, if nothing else...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I grab one of my little bags of apple slices....that satisfies me.