Hip pain after long run, feels like the end of training, please help!

Options
Hi I did 12 miles on Sunday as part of a training plan I'm doing to run a marathon in October. Early on in the run my hip began to pain, it feels like a big bruise. I kept running anyway and finished the run but now it is quite sore. I decided to take a few days off to reset it but it's not feeling any better. I'm worried this will hamper my training, I can't afford a physio at the moment. What do you think I should do? I should say I ran the marathon before 11 years ago but I took a good few years off running in between so it's like I'm a beginner again. Any help greatly appreciated

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice and anti-inflamatories for now.

If it's still painful after a few days or when you start running again, then I wouldn't run on it until you can get to a physio, it's not worth making an injury worse.

I'm just running again after having to pull out after race 1 of a series of 5 12k races because I tore a calf muscle... running through the pain for about 11.75km did not do me any favours at all :(
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Rest and ice are your friends, along with anti-inflammatories. You really ought to see a physio though. Our hip flexors run from the bottom of our ribs right down our legs and if that's what's causing you pain you could seriously damage yourself not getting proper treatment. My friend did that and now she is waiting for surgery. :-(

Not saying it is that, could just be a muscle pull or inflammation, but def consider treatment.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I felt a similar pain in my left hip that persisted even at night and I couldn't lay on my left side comfortably. I went to the Dr. and had a CT scan it was just a tight hip flexor. I went thru PT for awhile for exercises that could loosen it up. Lots of glute exercises, stretching and slowly ramping up the running again. Rest and Ice and Stretch s what I did. I tried to get back to running too quickly and it eventually started to affect my knee...so don't run if it hurts!
  • bboyfyrestorm
    bboyfyrestorm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would like to add a pointer to the above comments. The pain is most likely caused by tightened muscle fibers that form a 'knot' over time if left unattended. Heading to the physiotherapist is obviously the best possible solution but before that you could attempt to self-release the knots using a foam roller that you could buy online. They're pretty cheap and using them is also pretty simple. You have numerous videos online that could guide you through the release process and it might help you a great deal. Feel free to ask if you want more information :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rest,Ice, Compression & Elevation..... if you can't afford a physio right now Dr Google may be able to show you some stretches / exercises that will help alleviate the discomfort & strengthen your hips / glutes etc.

Cross / strength training may also help be addressing muscular imbalances. I have tight hips, if I don't take the time to stretch my body reminds me.....

• ccather
    ccather Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What do you do for cross training? When I trained for my first and again for my second-6th half marathons, I developed bursitis and IT band syndrome. I took a long time to get all that to calm down. In order to ramp my running back up, I had to make sure to cross train. As PP mentioned, building up my glutes (squats, lunges) and making sure to do side-to-side work (jumping jacks, side lunges, leg raises.) I also vigorously foam roll after all my running and workouts to make sure things don't seize up and throw me off balance.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've been reading how attendance for half marathons is WAY up, and IMO, rightly so. Full marathons seem to me to be needlessly rough on your body. Assuming that with rest and a foam roller (or physio) you get through this and get back to training, perhaps you might consider switching to a half.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree with stretches to open up your hips, and the foam roller. You might need to postpone your marathon plans until this is resolved. So that there can be many more marathons in your future.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    OP, From what you briefly described, it sounds like you may be experiencing overuse symptoms (re: too much too soon). As previously said, rest, ice, and ibuprofen. In the future, whenever you experience pain during a run, stop.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you want to be able walk properly for the rest of your life. I've seen too many friends with permanent effects of their running injuries. Be careful, please.