Insulin Resistance?

Options
So I'm convinced that I am plagued with insulin resistance. I've found that if I'm exercising and counting calories my weight stays stagnant...but if I don't my weight spirals out of control. That being said, what is the best diet to combat insulin resistance? I haven't had luck with ANYTHING in the last 10 years. Anybody else struggle with is?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    go to a dr and get tests run to make sure thats what it is. how are you weighing food? are you picking the right entries from MFP? those two things can make a difference. are you eating exercise calories back? how are you getting your calories burned from exercise?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Get checked for insulin resistance and thyroid problems.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would actually see a doctor before self diagnosing. I have friends with PCOS/Insulin resistance that are losing weight, one over 70lbs in four months. The key is they are sticking to their numbers and exercising. Some take Metformin, and it helps, but you must see a doctor first.

Your best bet is to use a food scale, only eat up to half of your exercise calories if you need to, and log meticulously. Not even sufferers of insulin resistance defy the laws of thermodynamics. Your CICO equation may be a little different, but it's not impossible and you don't have to starve yourself.

Log everything. Every drink, every condiment, every drop of cooking oil. You'll see you can lose weight, and perhaps a doctor will help if you do have a condition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If it is insulin resistance, then a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet, especially if you add in some short fasts, is the most sure way of correcting insulin resistance, even without weight loss. Losing excess weight often helps too....Hrad to do when weight loss is difficult though. The change to LCHF has helped many with IR reverse their IR. It helps me.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (book) lays out an excellent plan to reduce insulin needs and levels. If it is IR, start with that resource.

Good luck.
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and the low carb/high fat diet didn't work for me, it made me feel ill and my sugar actually stayed high for a while on it. I'm 46 and I take novalog before I eat and I take levimere before bed. I found that counting calories and eating a lot more fruits, veggies, and whole grains has helped lower my sugar and I'm losing weight (slowly)... its a pain in the rear to do all of this work, but we wouldn't be here if we didn't need to do something. Good Luck and see your doctor...
  • blk0110k
    blk0110k Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    By the way... I'm not bashing the LCHF diets... my friend lost a bunch of weight on it. It's different for everyone and it just didn't work out for me.