Never understood emotional eating till now

Options
Until about 30 minutes ago, I never understood emotional eating. Well, I suppose I still don't get it but I have now officially felt it. My first thought was to go have a lot of alcohol and a lot of sweets...but thankfully, I brushed my teeth already and I simply don't eat after doing my nighttime brushing.

So now I'm sitting in the garage, sobbing and feeling nauseous and I still want that drink or ice cream. But my teeth are still halfway clean...wasn't done flossing when I was told what I wish I never learned so I'm not completely done yet. Far enough along though to keep me from the kitchen.

So, yes, I've sorta joined the ranks I guess. My empathy for half the community just suddenly doubled. I am sorry if you've ever had to feel this way too and I hope you are making your way through.

Replies

• Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This is a great way to keep your mind off of it, coming online and venting!! You are strong and that food/alcohol is only going to make you feel worse. Beleive me, its just not worth it. I hope you feel better soon about whatever it is that has you down. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Whatever is going on, I'm sorry.......
  • biodeb
    biodeb Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time. I know what you mean about emotional eating. It takes a lot of mental strength to overcome it. Lots of self-talk... do I really "feel" better after I eat/drink? Why do my emotions drive me to eat? Why do I eat when I'm not hungry? Do something kind for yourself... something besides eating ice cream or drinking alcohol. Your answers are NOT in the freezer. You can do it!! Hang in there.... Hugs, Deb
  • greenscrapcat
    Options
    I am also going through a rough time right now. I went through not eating for a week and losing 6 pounds, then eating uncontrollably for a week and gaining 4. I decided yesterday morning, that I am worth way more than treating myself like that. I am going through an emotional period that is going to have to deal with with me being healhy and fit!

It's hard but you have to be strong!
  • ShinySpork
    ShinySpork Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I just needed some validation about my decision to not drown myself in ice cream and booze. The answer is not in the freezer or cupboard. Definitely not.

I gotta admit that's a really strange feeling... Sure, I've wanted a cookie or chocolate when I was really upset before, but it was just one cookie I wanted then. This was really different; I wanted buckets!

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I realized there is nothing I can do about the situation. I'm hoping this "enlightened" feeling will last so I don't break tomorrow or the next day.

No it will last. I'll make it last if I have to, dangnabbit! Tomorrow will be a happy day and I wish for you friendly people to have happy days too.

Thanks again! Really!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    90% of how your day goes is in the attitude you start it with. If you wake up determined to have a happy day you will have a happy day!!! Get out there and don't let anything drag you down!!! :D