Gym/Workout Hair

Options
I apologize if this is a repeat, and yes this is a serious question.. I train with some sort of moderate to high intensity with boxing. A lot of my workouts requires abrupt head/body movement, causing me to get hit in the face with my hair way more frequently than I would care to. My hair is really long and kinda angled so even the shorter parts of my hair get in my face and mouth. Sometimes I feel kinda SOL with this situation. Does anyone have any hair suggestions? Its really a pain to get some hair in the eye after 60 seconds of mountain climbers!:blushing:

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Hairspray? Bobby pins? Thin headband ... there are some that are silcone or w/e and "don't slip"
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of french braiding, which it sounds like you could do if you have long hair! I usually pin my bangs back (if they are short... if they are long I just braid them in), and then do the french braid. You could also use a headband/sweatband on top of a braid to keep any strays from getting in your face!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    french braid
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put the front of my hair into a little ponytail on top of my head and then gather the rest of it into a larger ponytail at the back. I look like a complete ****, but it keeps my hair out of my eyes.
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I should also probably have mentioned I am the inverse of girly. In most respects.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    http://www.sweatybands.com/

I have heard good things about these, keep your hair out of your face and then you could throw the rest into a tight pony tail. I need to get some of these for myself because I just use one of those fabric headbands and it always slips out.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    pigtails, or pony tails and hair clips
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    sweatybands are amazing. i wear them when running and they never slip off
  • angie_roo
    angie_roo Posts: 55
    Options
    I put my hair in a messy bun/knot at the top of my head but I don't have layers so that may not work for you. A regular braid can work too.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I learned to do the french braid headband
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Hairspray? Bobby pins? Thin headband ... there are some that are silcone or w/e and "don't slip"

This, and then the long stuff in a pony tail. Are you allowed to wear barrettes? A million barrettes would also do the trick.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I got tired of my hair flopping in my face when I was running so I chopped it all off into a really cute (really) SHORT cut! If you have a good stylist, they can make it look cute.
  • heyitskellyheart
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem! My hair is long, thick, and curly! I love to braid my bangs from the right to left side of my head then, secure it with a small elastic band.

I then pull the rest of my hair into a high bun on the top of my head and bobby pin some stray hairs down and usually add a flower just for a cute touch. (This is completely optional!)

I recommend a light-mist hairspray because it won't weigh your hair down but it will still hold it in place on the stair master!

Good luck! (:
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I teach kickboxing and have long hair (no bangs, all is one length), I have the following dos:

Braiding is key. 1 braid or 2 braided pigtails (don't know the english word) or one tail with sports hairbands throughout, so only one big one hits you in the face, hehe

A bun is good, too but it must be firm (only hurts when you do floor work). I make a pony tail put a sports band in, then wrap the tail into the bun pull the end under the hair so it basically sticks by itself if you don't work out, then stick 1 or 2 chop stick looking metal pin(s) in and wrap two more sports bands around it. That do is like concrete.

SInce stray hair sometimes annoys me in my face, I put bobby pins in (2 on the side and 1 up top). It's not so cute, but who cares. I occasionally use tose thin sports bands that fit around the head, but they tend to fall out which is extremely annoying or if tight they give me a headache.

Go mountainclimbers!!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    UnderArmor makes a skull cap that is tight fitting and helps keep all youor hair in one spot....it's a bit hot tho...
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have a short angled bob and I couldn't live without a "workout hat" to shove it all up into before I go to the gym. Just a baseball cap makes a big difference for me.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this is a repeat, and yes this is a serious question.. I train with some sort of moderate to high intensity with boxing. A lot of my workouts requires abrupt head/body movement, causing me to get hit in the face with my hair way more frequently than I would care to. My hair is really long and kinda angled so even the shorter parts of my hair get in my face and mouth. Sometimes I feel kinda SOL with this situation. Does anyone have any hair suggestions? Its really a pain to get some hair in the eye after 60 seconds of mountain climbers!:blushing:

Mine's about shoulder length and layered. I put mine in a ponytail and pull it through half-way the last time to make a loop so it's not hanging down my back, and wear a stretchy headband to hold the shorter pieces that won't quite reach the ponytail holder out of my face. Can't stand feeling hair on me when I'm all sweaty!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I should also probably have mentioned I am the inverse of girly. In most respects.

I leave the length in your pony tail to shorten it or try to wrap it in a bun with lots of hair bands. When I had lots of layers, I would use those metal snap clips wherever needed. It isn't pretty but I was always going for utilitarian. I never go to my dojo to look pretty; I go to sweat.
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My hair is really long. I do best with two braids and bobby pins for the shorter parts.