Is hot water more beneficial than cold?

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
I've read that hot green tea is more beneficial than drinking it cold for weight loss. So I was wondering if drinking warm water instead of cold or room temperature would be more beneficial?

It seems like it'd make sense, especially since there are so many "warming" supplements on the market for weight loss than increase body temperature to burn fat. Wouldn't a warm cup of water also do the trick?

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I don't know about the effects on weight loss, but warm water is better for digestion.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I read the opposite, it burns more calories to drink an ice cold cup of water, because your body has to warm it up.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you believe what you read....I read that you burn an extra 50 calories per week if you drink ice water...may or may not be true.
  • literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Warm water is good for digestion, and stimulating movements if your stopped up, but you burn a fraction more calorie-wise if it's ice water. I say drink it any way that help you get it down!
  • lizajanetoo
    lizajanetoo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Warm beverages also leave you more satisfied that cold. You feel fuller with a warm beverage.
  • mahosmama
    mahosmama Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't know which is better...hot or cold, but I just bought MIO at the grocery store. It makes plain water taste great. I am drinking a gallon of water every day, now. Love it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I can't do cold water. Also, warm water is good for digestion, like mentioned above. I'm not sure there is a big difference at all, so drink whichever you enjoy more. As long as you are getting enough water each day :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've heard ice cold is better because your body has to work harder to warm it up to digest it. *shrug* I was drinking Diet Lipton Green Tea everyday and was losing weight just fine. Delicious and kept me full - need to bring it back into my routine!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I like mine room temperature - then I will drink it! If it's overly warm or too cold - no thanks.
  • cblack51
    cblack51 Posts: 20
    Options
    According to Dr. Oz on today's show said, cold water burns more calories and best to drink it in the morning, it helps your metabolism .
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    For us geeks, the calculations are clearly set out in this article. http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm

For everyone else, the bottom line is that drinking a large (16oz) glass of ice cold water will consume 17.5 calories more than drinking a glass of water at body temperature. :)