Tips and Tricks requested to stop the insanity

Options
After a year of indecision of what "DIET" I should go on and gaining at least 15 pounds in the process, I have decided enough is enough. This isn't serving me.

I have wavered between calorie counting, weight watchers, low carb, vegetarian, intermittent fasting in the form of either A.) Eating during a certain window of time or B.) Every other Day dieting (Fasting every other day only eating 500 calories) and then eating whatever and however you want to on the non-fasting days, and "clean" eating.

About 3 months ago, I counted all of the books I have downloaded on my Nook that would be considered a "diet and fitness book." 26. That's insane. INSANE. No wonder I can't make a decision. I have paralyzed myself with information overload!

Out of all of the above mentioned "diets" the one that feels less diet-like to me is plain ol' counting calories. It holds me accountable. I don't have to restrict a certain food group, I can have what I want within reason, It doesn't lead to binging because I am starving myself until dinner or eating every other day, no one knows I am doing it or "dieting" because I can eat in any social setting, I don't have to tell people, 'Oh, I'm doing low carb or I'm doing vegetarian so I can't eat X.' etc.

For those of you who strictly count calories to lose...what are some tips and tricks that have worked for you?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Food scale. No restrictions, allow all things I already enjoy eating but stay within the calorie deficit. Pre-logging. Setting realistic weight loss goals and allow a good amount of time to reach that goal. Stick to the calorie NET goal never try to under eat the goal, and work with life events that come up like birthdays, holidays and social gatherings. It just takes a little pre-planning.

Exercise regularly (for me this works, but not everyone exercises).

Log everyday not matter what. Cheats, are not cheats. My "cheateries" are pre-planned goodness that do not come with guilt.
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    really just beginning this journey of counting calories and eating healthier than I was before. It's not easy to keep track everyday and log food, but I have noticed that I am losing weight at a reasonable rate. Stick it out. Do this as a life style change--it's not a "fad" diet but a proven way to be healthier and feel better. Exercise. Cut back on the unhealthy and utilize the knowledge here for a healthier lifestyle. Lots of seasoned folks here and lots of good information about whatever you want to know. Not all advice is going to help you, so weed out what isn't and go for the gold. Good luck on your journey.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Pre-log to see what fits it my day.

Prioritize food - if I wasn't thinking about calories, I might eat a donut that a coworker brings in, but when I'm trying to hit a 1400 calorie goal a cold donut isn't worth it. Ice cream when I really want ice cream is worth it.

Create a library of recipes that I can go to on any given night. I know which of my recipes are 400 calories per serving, which are 500, which are 600. When life gets crazy, it's nice to know I can do this stir fry or that pork loin and be within my calories.

Pay attention to my macros. I don't hit them perfectly every day, but if I hit my protein and fiber goals I'm usually much more satiated.

Move more. Walk more in addition to exercise.

Don't keep Cheez-Its in the house because there's just no way I'll be satisfied with a 100-200 calorie serving.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Everything @RoxieDawn said. Pre-logging is really important for helping me stay within my goal.

While you don't have to restrict any foods, you may find yourself adjusting how much of certain things you eat for sake of being able to get full without going over calories. The biggest adjustment for me has been learning what snacks/combinations of foods get me through the work day, particularly the afternoon. I can't just snack on crackers/chips/junk food like I used to because I have to eat a lot to hold me over until dinner, which then puts me over my calorie goal for the day. I still eat lots of those foods, I just don't rely on them as heavily for my afternoon work snack.
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hydration always helps. It took me a very long time to realize "eat less and move more" really does work!!!! I never restrict myself and it's made this journey a lot less stressful. Plus I have found tons of exercise type activities I enjoy. Example.... Zumba, water aerobics, and yoga. Most important be forgiving of yourself when days don't go as planned. It's a journey. Good luck fit friend.