Shin splints

Options
I have begun training for some 5km runs this month and next and the biggest thing I am finding is my shin splints are awful. I started running track and cross-country at 7 years old so I have ran most of my life. I have had shin splints for quite a few years and they aren't fun.
In an effort to help diminish the shin splints I have purchased new running shoes, I have orthotics for other reasons as well as having flat feet, and I try now to work out too hard.

Has anyone else suffered from bad shin splints or doesn't anyone have an advice?

Replies

• etruscansunited
    etruscansunited Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of advice and perhaps some misdiagnoses.
    To keep it all in perspective assume that the proximate and ultimates causes are only biomechanical. Filter out any advice which does not address your biomechanical issues.
    A strong possibility for a major proximate cause is inappropriate shoes. At this point you can get swamped with opinions and diatribes. Essentially, based on years of coaching running to a high level, for elite and for recreational distance and middle distance runners, you should avoid (or minimise) running shoes which are too stiff in every plane of movement; have too much cushioning; a heel to toe rise; flared cushioning around the heels and do not fit your foot shape. This is not about a minimalist v. Heavy shoe debate or even barefoot v. shoes. It is about optimising your foot movement patterns. All of the above features of running shoes contribute to distorting your biomechanical motions. This can lead to much more stress through your shins than should occur in an optimal pattern.

I assume your orthoses are appropriate for running. Often podiatrists have no real idea of the biomechanics of running (somehow a few hours at uni and a complete absence of any knowledge of running training leads mant of them to think they are unquestionable authorities on orthoses that rule every other aspect of running). In every sense orthoses should support not impede correct motion so too podiatrists. If in doubt, shop around.

It is impossible to be sure without seeing you run in your shoes. You have probably now adopted an entire body movement pattern to accommodate poor shoes but it us quite likely that you have imbalances due to weaknesses elsewhere. So even if you start running in optimal shoes you will not quickly adapt your entire body and might even get orher injuries. In other words your entire learnt body biomechanics when running will be an ultimate contributor to shin splints and other potential injuries.

So you need a plan and a strategy if you really want to avoid this injury and others which could be caused by poor running form.

Change your shoes to optimise your own foot biomechanics. Big topic. Go for light thin bendy flat. Get two or more types. Experiment. Change. Cheaper than medical bills.

Change your running biomechanics. Don't do this by following impersonal advice on blogs like this
  • etruscansunited
    etruscansunited Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seem to have got cut off for being verbose..

In short you wil need to change your entire running biomechanics. Changing shoes will not be enough.
    Best to see a coach with a good "eye". That could save years. Expect to have to correct your learnt bad form. What u did as a kid is probably contributing to poor form (not a benchmark for injury free running in later years).
    In short without a coach to assess your form to advise what to strenghten then the simplest self help is to run in appropriate shoes mostly on hilly terrain.
    Expect to take at least 6 to 24 months for establishing an optimal running form from toes to top.
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had success with utilizing three pairs of running shoes. I alternate with each run. I had to pay very specific attention to form as well. Because I have disc her nations at different levels, my posture is off. It's awful pain and can be so frustrating to your end goal. Ice ice ice was a great friend while I worked it out.

Haven't had pain for several years now....there's hope.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I suffered from shin splints and they were awful. I unfortunately had to quit because after a couple of years of trying everything and many Dr appointments nothing worked for me. Running on the elliptical works more me and when I actually wanna run around town I inline skate, which is very fun and an awesome workout!
    I hope you find a solution!