Trail and offroad running vs track and road running

I gotta say that since i ran my first spartan race, i have been running almost exclusively on trails, offroads, etc. It is unreal how much of a difference it is for me as far as what i am gaining from it. Obviously the soreness is a change from the level running, but the cardio benefits and caloric burn i am getting is a much needed change. I have stabilizer muscles that i didnt know existed saying hello the day after a run. Plus the view are awesome. Anyone else agree?

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Yes I prefer to trail run when ever I can
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    I think the cardio benefits and calorie burn are pretty similar (though obviously you go slower on hills and rougher terrain so can't cover as much ground) but I enjoy both.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I've always found trail running better for my overall fitness and injury prevention. But you also have to be aware of issues (wild life, getting lost, slips and falls).

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer,
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I'm fortunate enough to live close to a park that is great for both biking (on & off road) and running. The only thing that has held me back is that I dislike the idea of getting in the car to go somewhere to run or ride when I have outstanding (but relatively flat) recreation paths just a few hundred metres from my front door. (I'm also afraid that I'll get hooked......)
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I make an effort to do my long runs on trails whenever possible. It's more interesting, more challenging, and gives me an excuse to go explore! I wish there were some closer to my home, but I've found quite a few within 30-40 minutes drive that offer everything from wooded twisty footpaths to long level lakeside vistas.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    I love trail running! It is so peaceful and happy. Cheesy, I know. I feel like it increases my whole body strength, but for me, that isn't the point. It's just more fun!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'll choose trails almost every time.
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Absolutely, I try to run as much off road as I can. Its quiet, not many other people around, nature everywhere and its fun. No boredom and I find I can run for hours and be fine...cant do that on road.
  • Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    I much prefer running on trails just because it's more relaxing to me, peaceful, and I get to see the beautiful surroundings. I also think it's much more of a workout.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I agree with previous posts describing all the beauty of trail running. With that said, the primary reason that my training partners and I love trails is that the softer ground is so much easier on the feet, ankles and calves. Seems like we can keep our mileage up with less chance of the nagging pains that often creep up during high mileage work that is run on the roads.