Low BP okay?

Options
My blood pressure has always been really good(110/70ish), but lately It has dropped significantly. It is usually higher early in the day(around 100/60), but by evening it is around 95/55. My pulse has also gone down to around 55bpm resting. I just want to know if this is okay in the absence of any problems related to hypotension. Is is just due to my working out and being in great:smile: shape?

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's lower 'cause you're healthier. I have similar stats. Now it's not good if you feel lightheaded when you stand up, or if your pulse goes up. Otherwise, it's a great blood pressure.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    As the heart muscle get stronger and your body gets smaller - it will pump more efficiently which will lower your BP and pulse.

As long as you aren't experiencing light headedness, blurry vision, fainting episodes, etc -- it's a sign of cardiac health!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor to make sure you are OK.
  • glmeyer
    glmeyer Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm not a MD, but I am a RN and I would echo the above. :)

Unless you are feeling lightheaded or dizzy, this is not a blood pressure or heart rate that would require treatment. Go see your MD if you are concerned.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Usually if you have no symptoms you are just getting healthy, but I would still suggest a visit to the doctor.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Check with your doctor. Really low blood pressure can be dangerous...my doctor freaks if mine falls below 100/50. I'm obviously larger than you...but you want to be safe!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm not a MD, but I am a RN and I would echo the above. :)

I third this...Low BP could be just fine, but if you've noticed it you should ask. It can also be a warning sign of other things like adrenal fatigue and other medical issues. Rather be safe than sorry.
  • md921
    md921 Posts: 8
    Options
    Stop checking your BP and pulse rate
    -MD
  • glmeyer
    glmeyer Posts: 7
    Options
    Everyone's numbers are different and everyone's medical issues are different. No one here can really tell you whether or not it's OK for you. The numbers sound "fine" to me, but I'm assuming you are young and healthy. Bring it up at your next MD visit.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    -MD

Why? I think knowing what your BP and pulse rate is, is crucial to overall health. If you don't check them - you won't be aware of what is normal or abnormal for you. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending it isn't important isn't how you live a healthier lifestyle.

BTW, to the OP - my blood pressure is usually about 69/59. I've ALWAYS had low blood pressure (even when I was heavier). The highest I've EVER seen it was 110/80 and this was right after running an almost 10 min mile. My pulse is usually around 45-50.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    They are numbers. Don't worry about ONE set of numbers. It's the trend that is more important. BTW, BP is really not a good way to measure how well your heart is pumping. Return To Flow is much more accurate and ives a much better picture. But that's another topic entirely!! Like it was said earlier, if you don't dizz out or HR jumps more than 20BPM over lying or sitting HR, it's all good!!
  • md921
    md921 Posts: 8
    Options
    -MD

Why? I think knowing what your BP and pulse rate is, is crucial to overall health. If you don't check them - you won't be aware of what is normal or abnormal for you. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending it isn't important isn't how you live a healthier lifestyle.

Because it has no significance if you're feeling alright. Once a year screening for hypertension is plenty.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has always been really good(110/70ish), but lately It has dropped significantly. It is usually higher early in the day(around 100/60), but by evening it is around 95/55. My pulse has also gone down to around 55bpm resting. I just want to know if this is okay in the absence of any problems related to hypotension. Is is just due to my working out and being in great:smile: shape?

Mine's always been around there as well (although my resting pulse is more like 60-65) and no doctor has ever been unhappy with that. I do have to be careful about standing up too quickly though or I get light-headed.
  • Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have low pulse but high BP and do have fatigue and therefore can't exercise as much as I need to. My BP this morning was 135/70 45 with Brad. Two days ago my pulse never got over 40. Cardiologist says that I could qualify for a pacemaker as I have quite a few skipped beats. But I am hoping to get more weight off so I can get off these dang BP & BS pills. Medication; especially BP meds have always caused me problems.