Not Able Bodied!!!!

Options
Hi folks,
. I have been using the MFP app & my weight loss is going well, my struggle though is with exercise. I still try to ride my horse regularly, but I'm disabled & have to use crutches to walk with. The gym & general exercise classes are not an option for me & those that are done sitting down don't provide enough of a workout for me. Are there other members out there who have/had the same problem?? Have any of you found a solution to this problem?? I'm desperate to improve my fitness level without wiping myself out for days afterwards, I would like to hear how other have overcome this situation I find myself in.
Thanks pxx

Replies

• teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time imagining the type of disability where you can ride a horse but not walk so it's hard to make suggestions. Is it a foot or balance problem?

Is swimming an option (with assistance devices for lower body if needed)?

What about weight lifting? If you have space you could set up a rack in your house or garage.

Would bicycling or adult tricycle be a possibility?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working out in the pool? Swimming is a great all around exercise where you can progress without the need of strong legs.
    Deep Aqua Fit where you work out with a life belt around your waist may work for you too.
    Shallow Aqua Fit may be suitable, but I am not sure as it involves low impact leg work.

Problems with impact- you could try a stationary or recumbent bike.

Knowing your leg movement restrictions may help us give you more ideas.

Cheers, h.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hey hon add me I have spinal injuries from car accident, so similar situation, im looking at getting a recumbent bike as sits low and helps to support my spine, other than that its physiotherapy exercises, and hydrotherapy, building up to swimming x goodluck. I feel your frustration.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I walk on crutches and do seated weight lifting. I get a really good workout from it. I also do push ups, pull ups, also in the winter, I use a NuStep machine, similar to a recumbent stepper. That I get a really good workout. I also walk 1/2 mile - on crutches it is a big workout.

I can't imagine how you can ride a horse if you can't even do seated weightlifting. I can't get up on a horse, period, but I can do a lot of other things.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym who is paralyzed from the waist down due to a motorcycle accident 3 years ago. He lifts, does triathlons has done a half marathon and is planning to qualify for the Boston Marathon during a race this fall.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi folks,
    . I have been using the MFP app & my weight loss is going well, my struggle though is with exercise. I still try to ride my horse regularly, but I'm disabled & have to use crutches to walk with. The gym & general exercise classes are not an option for me & those that are done sitting down don't provide enough of a workout for me. Are there other members out there who have/had the same problem?? Have any of you found a solution to this problem?? I'm desperate to improve my fitness level without wiping myself out for days afterwards, I would like to hear how other have overcome this situation I find myself in.
    Thanks pxx

Definitely check out Mrs. Amanda Sullivan Love. Her, and her husband are HUGE inspirations to many people who do Obstacle Course Racing. She uses crutches to walk, and he is a veteran with no legs and one arm. Here are some links to get you started:
    http://www.nbcsports.com/video/amanda-sullivan-overcoming-most-treacherous-obstacles
    https://www.facebook.com/AmandaSullivanLove

I also happen to know a lady who specializes in rider fitness. She may be able to help you out with some workouts that would improve your riding and cater to your needs: http://theathleticrider.com/

Best of luck!
  • halfpint1913
    halfpint1913 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks will have a look
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You can also get hand cycle machines, so that may be a non-leg cardio option too. You put it on a table top and use it with your arms.
  • halfpint1913
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I walk on crutches and do seated weight lifting. I get a really good workout from it. I also do push ups, pull ups, also in the winter, I use a NuStep machine, similar to a recumbent stepper. That I get a really good workout. I also walk 1/2 mile - on crutches it is a big workout.

I can't imagine how you can ride a horse if you can't even do seated weightlifting. I can't get up on a horse, period, but I can do a lot of other things.

I have a sever back condition that limits the amount I can lift, my left leg is very weak plus it collapse under me without warning & I fall over, it is now affecting my right leg as well. I was a rider before this happened & I have had adaptations made to enable me to get on & off I only go for a walk as I no longer have the strength in my legs to keep my me in the saddle at faster paces. I used to be very fit,then in an instance I went from being able bodied to having to use crutches, to depending on others to do all the things I used to do on my own. I sound as if I'm looking for sympathy, but I just trying to explain why I'm struggling with the exercise part, I do try I walk my dogs but some days my pain isn't under control, I ride & I'm learning to swim I was just looking for suggestions & tips pxx
  • halfpint1913
    Options
    Have you tried working out in the pool? Swimming is a great all around exercise where you can progress without the need of strong legs.
    Deep Aqua Fit where you work out with a life belt around your waist may work for you too.
    Shallow Aqua Fit may be suitable, but I am not sure as it involves low impact leg work.

Problems with impact- you could try a stationary or recumbent bike.

Knowing your leg movement restrictions may help us give you more ideas.

Cheers, h.

I'm numb, no hot/cold pain sensation, from the small of my back over my bottom, my left leg is affected completely & the outside of my right leg into both my feet. I suffered sever nerve damage when a disc in my lower back burst with out warning, it was the time lapse between the disc bursting & any surgical intervention that led to my nerves being damaged beyond repair, back then I was fit with no health issues & no-one realised how bad my situation was. Anyway not only is my left leg numb it is very weak & doesn't always lift properly, this has caused me to fall flat on my face hence the crutches. I like the idea of the recumbent bike, need to look into where near me has one & also give the aqua fit a try thanks pxx
  • halfpint1913
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Thanks pxx

Definitely check out Mrs. Amanda Sullivan Love. Her, and her husband are HUGE inspirations to many people who do Obstacle Course Racing. She uses crutches to walk, and he is a veteran with no legs and one arm. Here are some links to get you started:
    http://www.nbcsports.com/video/amanda-sullivan-overcoming-most-treacherous-obstacles
    https://www.facebook.com/AmandaSullivanLove

I also happen to know a lady who specializes in rider fitness. She may be able to help you out with some workouts that would improve your riding and cater to your needs: http://theathleticrider.com/

Best of luck!

Thanks pxx
  • halfpint1913
    Options
    I am having a hard time imagining the type of disability where you can ride a horse but not walk so it's hard to make suggestions. Is it a foot or balance problem?

Is swimming an option (with assistance devices for lower body if needed)?

What about weight lifting? If you have space you could set up a rack in your house or garage.

Would bicycling or adult tricycle be a possibility?

Please see my reply to member "mom22dogs" explaining my condition & how it affects what I do. Your suggestions are very helpful & I thank you for taking the time to read & reply to my post pxx
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    crutch walking as an exercise burns a lot of calories. Can you go for walks?