Need menu ideas for dinner party

Options
I'm making dinner for my mom's birthday tomorrow, and of course, my step dad will be there. Meals with them can be hard to do, because she can't have dairy or your "dark green leaf"-ys, so there goes some ideas, and I try to find really good and healthy recipes that taste awesome. She's pretty thin (5'6'', 125 lbs) while he's heavier (5'10'', 215 lbs). She constantly tries to be "helpful" in pointing out that "he really doesn't want that" and that he's not supposed to have anymore.....Do you know what I mean?

Anyways, I need some really good ideas to please everyone.....help? :frown:

Replies

• JesCrdr
    JesCrdr Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm making dinner for my mom's birthday tomorrow, and of course, my step dad will be there. Meals with them can be hard to do, because she can't have dairy or your "dark green leaf"-ys, so there goes some ideas, and I try to find really good and healthy recipes that taste awesome. She's pretty thin (5'6'', 125 lbs) while he's heavier (5'10'', 215 lbs). She constantly tries to be "helpful" in pointing out that "he really doesn't want that" and that he's not supposed to have anymore.....Do you know what I mean?

Anyways, I need some really good ideas to please everyone.....help? :frown:
  • sweetassurance
    Options
    I get many healthy recipes on the site below and they have a menu for dinner party's as well. Enjoy.

whatscookingamerica.net/ - 40k

I wish your mom a Happy Birthday. :flowerforyou:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    check out the hungry girl website, its hungrygirl.com.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Panzanella Bread Salad

I got this recipe at a cooking class that I took. It’s FANTASTIC…and I was pessimistic at first. It’s a very summery type of dish and would be perfect a barbecue or pool party! This makes a large portion, so cut it in half if you’re not serving to more than 4-6 people as a side dish. You can use almost any veggies you have in your fridge. The bread can be any kind that is a good chewy, baked loaf from a bakery…or your own oven! We didn’t even use peasant bread.

1 large round loaf peasant bread, cut into 1” cubes, about 4 cups
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, smashed into a paste…or at least super finely minced
    2 tsp grated lemon rind
    ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste – about 1 tsp or so each
    ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
    5 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 yellow, orange, or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 medium bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped with feathery greens (fronds) reserved
    ½ cup nicoise olives (or black…or your favorite) pitted and halved
    12 basil leaves

Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and leave out, uncovered, to dry for 24 hours. If you don’t have 24 hours, bake them at 300 degrees for 10 to 20 minutes until dried out but not toasted.

In a large bowl whisk together shallots, garlic, lemon rind, and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil in a stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, fennel and olives, tossing to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Thirty minutes before serving salad, add the reserved fennel greens, basil, and bread cubes, tossing to coat, and let the salad stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Thai Summer Rolls

I don't recommend making a ton to eat later...just whatever you're going to eat that night/day. The wrappers get hard in some places and too soggy in others. I'd be more than happy to show you how to make them!

3 carrots, julienned
    2 zucchini, julienned
    1 package bean sprouts, rinsed
    1 jalapeno, finely minced
    1 tsp chili paste, such as sambal
    1 handful cilantro, chopped
    1/2 cup (ish) chopped peanuts
    1/8-1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    2-3 Tbsp rice vinegar
    Several shakes sesame oil

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and let marinade at least 20 minutes...if you have time, anyway. You'll need the spring roll wrappers that you put in hot water until they're pliable (don't let them get too soaked or it'll be really hard to do). I've found that the ones made with tapioca tend to be easier to work with. You can find them at Uwajimaya. Place a small piece of lettuce about 1/2 in from the edge of the wrapper closest to you. Pile some of the mixture onto the lettuce leaf (3 Tbsp or so???). Fold the closest edge of the wrapper to you over the mixture. Fold each side (left and right) to the middle, then roll up like a burrito. Hope that makes sense. I like both sauces.

Peanut Sauce:
    1 cup smooth peanut butter
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons red chili paste, such as sambal
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup hot water
    1/4 cup chopped peanuts, for garnish

Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, red chili paste, brown sugar, and lime juice in a food processor or blender. Puree to combine. While the motor is running, drizzle in the hot water to thin out the sauce, you may not need all of it. Pour the sauce into a nice serving bowl and garnish with the chopped peanuts.

*** I tend to play with the peanut sauce to make it to my liking. I add a little more chili paste, sometimes it's not thin enough so I add more water...I like more lime, and more brown sugar, too. Just play with it until you like it.

Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce:
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    1/4 cup hot water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 lime, juiced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon red chili paste, such as sambal

In a blender, puree the rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, hot water, sugar, lime juice, garlic, and chili paste until combined. Pour into a small bowl and serve with the summer rolls.