Standing

Options
So I work two jobs, both are in retail and both require me to stand for about 3-12 hours depending on my shifts and other factors. I am also sometimes on a step ladder and fixing/retrieving stock, walking around the store(s) constantly and helping customers, as well as doing other work-related activities so I'm not just standing in one spot the whole time.
I know standing isn't a work out and it's not listed in the database here, but if I were to check the number of calories burned from standing on another website and factor that in to my normal exercise and daily routine, does that mean I could eat back those "standing calories"? I'm just curious if I would need extra calories to make up for the extra energy being expended. I often end up coming home completely exhausted, even from 3-5 hour shifts (let alone the 12 hour ones I sometimes do when I have to work both jobs in the same day!)
Note: I already list my daily activity as "lightly active: ie nurse or salesman" so I'm already consuming 1290 calories on non-exercise days.

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think having the lifestyle correct is more important.
  • noneyobusiness
    Options
    I have been thinking of switching to the "moderately active" setting, but I'm using their examples as guides and I'm not sure if retail work falls under the same exertion level as being a waitress other than all of the walking (I don't lift that many heavy things constantly such as a waitress would always be carrying a large tray of food)
    It's also so touchy to judge because sometimes I only work 3 hours and sometimes I work 12 (like tomorrow)
    I have noticed that if I over eat on a particularly long work day, I won't see an increase on the scale the next day.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would change over to moderately active. That would be your best bet.
  • noneyobusiness
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing that, but mixing it up a bit. You know, eating more on the 5+ hour days and a little less on the 3-5 hour days. That way I'm not overcompensating when, other than working out and doing a "quick" shift, I've just been sitting around all day, haha.
    Thanks for the advice!