what to do with Kale and Cabbage?

Options
jessicarn76
jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
I get bin of produce delivered every other week. I usually specify what I want in it. With the holiday weekend, I missed the date to put in what I wanted so I got the standard. I have never eaten kale ever. The only time I use cabbage is when I put it in veggie soup. Suggestions? I'm making the broccoli/cheese/rice casserole this weekend to take in my lunch next week. I thought about putting some cabbage in it.. (?)

Replies

• christyjoyjr
    Options
    I make orzo with chicken and kale. My family loves it.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I like to shred the cabbage and eat it raw with light italian dressing. A great side dish on a warm summer day.
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use Kale in my green smoothies and just made a kale and white bean soup yesterday that I enjoyed...BUT family didn't like the soup. try eatingwell.com or hungrygirl.com fro recipes
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    if your a good cook, cabbage rolls are the reason for cabbage's existence...

other than that shred it raw and eat it as a salad itself, or part of coleslaw, or shredded in wraps or sprinkled on other salads.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I sautee my cabbage with onions and apples, and just a teaspoon of butter. Tastes yummy. Use Kale just like spinach.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I use kale instead of spinach quite a bit in cooked dishes. It tastes similar and doesn't wilt down quite as far. You have to remember 2 things.. 1. Rinse it REALLY WELL. Those crevices hold a lot of dirt/sand. 2. Remove the tough center vein. My favorite dish is to chop it up and toss with a very small amount of vinaigrette, then place in a casserole and put some chicken breasts on top. Bake covered at 350 until the chicken is done. A few min before its done, uncover and sprinkle some parmesan on top, and finish baking.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    You can make Zupa Toscana with kale. I make a yummy meal with cabbage. I stir fry it with onions, browned ground beef or turkey, green chilis and celery salt. Really low cal/high fiber and yummy!
  • novaroo
    novaroo Posts: 17
    Options
    I either use Kale in soups(favourite one i've made is a spicy bean and kale one, delicious!) or drizzle with olive oil, bake for few mins until it turns bright green and crisp and eat it as snack. I sometimes roast pine nuts or cashews along with it...soo good. Cabbage-either shredded raw into salads or in soups or just steamed as a side.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've never looked up the calories in it, but I LOVE braised cabbage.

it's pretty much just cabbage, vinegar, water - and I like bacon and sometimes onion in mine - cooked slowly (slow cooker works great)
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I shred cabbage & boil it so it's a little more tender then drain, put in a bowl with water/vinegar mix (to taste, depending on how sour or unsour you want it) & add spices &/or fresh finely diced onion & garlic. It's a nice refreshing summer salad... sorta like pickled cabbage I guess:-) I do the same thing with tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans & cauliflower... love it.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! Take the leaves off the stalks, spray with some Pam, etc., sprinkle on some salt and garlic powder and put in the oven (350) for about 10-15 minutes, They get wonderfully crispy (don't let them burn though! but they will turn brown, which is fine!).

I like to cut cabbage in strips and cook in broth with the lid on until it's cooked way down and add some salt and chili powder. The original Cabbage Toran recipe calls for oil, mustard seeds, and maybe coconut but hubby doesn't like that so I have been making it this way for years. Yum!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like to shred the cabbage and eat it raw with light italian dressing. A great side dish on a warm summer day.

^^^Me too - it's yummy. It's actually quite good as an alternative to lettuce with any of your favorite dressings!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I have a couple friends who love to make kale chips, but I haven't tried it yet. I am sure you can find recipes but basically they wash, dry, and cut the kale. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

And congrats on completing the mini!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    easy yummy recipie for cabbage:

Butterball everyday turkey kielbasa sausage one full link (cut into bite size pieces)
    one medium onion (chopped)
    3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
    2 tbs olive oil
    6 cups chopped (lagre pieces) Cabbage
    1/4 cup finely chopped red apple (optional)

In pot sautee onion, garlic and olive oil till onion is transparent, add sausage (and apple if you like) sautee till sausage and veggies are lightly browned add cabbage and continue to sautee stiring often until cabbage is soft and cooked thru.. add salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4
  • jessicarn76
    jessicarn76 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I might have to do those Kale chips tomorrow! When I was at the grocery I was trying to find something low cal to dip into guacamole. This should work!

Thanks HungryMom. My goal was to finish and not be last and I accomplished both ;)
  • dr4m4qu33n
    dr4m4qu33n Posts: 19
    Options
    I love Kale! My favorite kale recipe would have to be Kale Chips! Mmmmmmm so delicious and so easy! Take a bunch of kale and tear off the major veins, any that are a lot thicker than the actual kale. Tear into bite size pieces. Toss the pieces with a couple teaspoons of olive oil, a splash of vinegar and some salt. Bake at 375 for about 15 mins, until the kale is crispy, not burned ;) You can also add other spices or even a sprinkle of grated cheese. They really are sooo good and take the place of fatty, high calorie potato chips. I haven't had any in while and now I must make some soon!! This recipe is also really good, it sounds kind of strange but its really tasty... http://jugalbandi.info/2008/05/african-kale-pineapple-and-peanut-stew/
    As for cabbage, I like to make a healthy coleslaw with mustard, vinegar, sugar or a substitute, and either a little mayo or plain yogurt and salt and pepper. You can add other things like shredded carrots, herbs, spices, blue cheese. I also make a simple sauteed cabbage and onions. Add a splash of soy and/or balsamic vinegar. Or you can even add in some julienne green apple. Cabbage rolls are good to! Oh, I also thinly slice cabbage and add to my salads for an extra crunch! There are sooo many great things to do with kale and cabbage!! Good Luck!! :D