Cycling Shorts

Options
Can anyone recommend cycling shorts? I'm not sure where to start and they all look expensive so I don't want to spend a fortune for a pair that won't give good cushioning.

Thanks =)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I love the pad on my Fox shorts, but they are mountain bike shorts (baggy shorts that go over a thinner bike short).
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    REI carries the Canari brand. It's the most reasonable I've found and I have no problems with them. Not sure if they are found anywhere else.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    REI. Look online. Get the women's Novara gel pad cycling shorts. I ride 2-3 times a week, and these are my go-to shorts. Last I checked, they were on sale too! And, if you are a bit self conscious still, they have a skirted version - very cute!
  • JoSa37
    JoSa37 Posts: 16
    Options
    See if you have a Pearl Izumi Outlet near you. Also check at Performancebike.com or nashbar.com and your local bike shop for guidance. Alot comes down to personal preference and intended use. If you are using them for short rides most any shorts work if they fit properly. Another purchase to consider is a good chamois butter as a skin lubricant under your shorts
  • jasonic1
    jasonic1 Posts: 10
    Options
    As a manager of a bike shop and someone who works with and wears cycling shorts every day, I see a lot of good and bad shorts on the market.

Shebeest makes some great shorts specifically for women. Sugoi makes an awesome short as well.

Look for the best chamois you can find. Go to your local IBD (Independent Bike Dealer) and talk to the guys or gals at your shop. There is a wealth of knowledge there that the big box stores and online outlets just don't have.

You will usually end up spending anywhere from $90 + to get a good pair. Definitely worth the cost.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    what will you use them for? If you're just doing short rides < 50 miles, go with a chamois pad. If you're going to push some century rides, go with gel. If you're thinking about buying them for spin class, don't bother. You won't need them.

Some shorts have a rubber gripper along the inside of the bottom of the legs so they don't ride up. I HATE THE RUBBER GRIPPER THING! Make sure you try on to see if you can stand it.

I like Velo Betty brand -- they have a nice band and the bottom of the legs (remember I hate that rubber thing). Also some Canary are nice. You really need to try on and get a good fit. Don't buy too big, and don't wear underwear.

blessings.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of desktop 400 mile shorts. Best you'll find if you're looking into getting longer rides. Well worth the money.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I love Pearl Ozumi. The have been great for my short and 70 mile rides. Performancebike.com and Nashbar.com is where I get mine and you can usually find them on sale there.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of desktop 400 mile shorts. Best you'll find if you're looking into getting longer rides. Well worth the money.

Haha.. gotta hate autocorrect. **DeSoto 400 mile shorts. I've also heard good things about the Performance century shorts as well. I'll give them a try, if they work out they're a great buy for the $$
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Haha.. gotta hate autocorrect. **DeSoto 400 mile shorts. I've also heard good things about the Performance century shorts as well. I'll give them a try, if they work out they're a great buy for the $$

Hehe, i was wondering about desktop shorts. lol
    Thanks =)
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how this was bumped...all my bibs and shorts are Pearl izumi

As others have said, you really should try them on if possible, price ranges from $30 up to $200, but consider how often you will be riding and for how long (minutes/hours/miles)

They should fit snug, you don't want the chamois (padding) to be moving around under you, can cause chaffing/sores and you don't wear anything under them

Thicker chamois isn't always better, they may feel better initially but will end up feeling bulky after longer periods on the bike, and once your bottom side/muscles get used go being in the saddle you may not want a bulky one.

You may find the thicker the chamois the softer (squishier) it feels and the thinner the chamois the firmer/dense it is, firmer for longer periods on the bike as you get more support from the more dense pad with out the bulk.

I cant speak about any shorts with a gel chamois.