Walking for weightloss

Options
How successful is having walking as primary exercise. I walk 3-4 days a week for 2-4 miles each time depending on how I feel and if there's a time restraint. Is it possible to lose quite a bit over time by doing that plus watching what I eat and tracking calories? I am usually either baby wearing or pushing a jogging stroller.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walking is great

Go further and faster each week ...it's about progression

Diet is key though
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Of course... walking is a great exercise, it burns calories and can make you feel good and if you are at home with a baby, then getting out and about is probably going to be good for your mood as well as your body.
    As part of a balanced approach - as you say, watching your food and tracking cals - great idea.
  • timetogetfit86
    timetogetfit86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    My only exercise is walking, I've lost nearly 70lbs by tracking my intake and walking. Calorie counting is the most important part of the equation, though.

How long did it take you to lose the weight? I have at least 100 to lose. I know it may take a couple years amd I'm okay with that.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    My only exercise is walking, I've lost nearly 70lbs by tracking my intake and walking. Calorie counting is the most important part of the equation, though.

How long did it take you to lose the weight? I have at least 100 to lose. I know it may take a couple years amd I'm okay with that.

I don't really have a timeframe for the first 30lbs, as I had lost more and gained some of it back. But since May 2016, I've lost another 40lbs. I started with 200lbs to lose, though, so my losses are naturally going to be bigger.
  • timetogetfit86
    timetogetfit86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm shooting for a 60lb loss to get into the one-derland then my stopping weight depends on where i feel the most comfortable. According to BMI charts, I should be about 130 lbs which would put me at 130lbs as my loss.
  • Sued0nim
    edited September 2016
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    After four months of really trying to increase my walking I managed to log a month where no day was below 5000 steps

I probably lost less than 10lbs in that time frame and was 280lbs at the end of that time period.

I then started watching what I ate in addition to continuing to increase my walking.

I now seldom have a sub 15000 step day. I also weight ~157lbs

Do I think I should be doing MORE than just walk? YES. Have I? Nope.

Did walking contribute to the weight loss effort? Absolutely.

Oy @PAV8888

Lifting

Now

:bigsmile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    After four months of really trying to increase my walking I managed to log a month where no day was below 5000 steps

I probably lost less than 10lbs in that time frame and was 280lbs at the end of that time period.

I then started watching what I ate in addition to continuing to increase my walking.

Oy @PAV8888
    Lifting
    Now

sidelined, oh @Sued0nim ous Rabbit, due to hernia (and general laziness)! :disappointed:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How successful is having walking as primary exercise?

Walking is a good exercise. And you can reach your goal just doing that.
    However, weight loss is generally also about body composition and trying to retain muscle mass during loss, both for aesthetics and metabolic function.

Consider the value of adding other exercise as you move along and change your lifestyle - walking will not significantly help in muscle retention, long term cardiovascular fitness or functional fitness. Find something you like and stay active,
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Oy @PAV8888
    Lifting
    Now

sidelined, oh @Sued0nim ous Rabbit, due to hernia (and general laziness)! :disappointed:

Hmmmm,

Adapt
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Love walking. Have enjoyed a walking commute for the last three years. It most certainly contributed to a 47lb weight loss in just over 7 months. Along with a calorie deficit, too, of course.

Somewhat sadly I have to change to a cycling commute soon because we are moving farther away from my work and I REFUSE to drive. Love walking. Hope to love biking once again.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Walking is wonderful exercise and a great way to get started. It would be even better if you could pair that with a progressive strength training program like Stronglifts 5x5 to get the maximum benefit. You can buy used equipment (don't need much to start) and it works in a garage/basement -- wherever you have space -- and the baby can watch. I'm 5-7" and started at 220, down to 150 with a goal of 130. I walk 5-7 miles a day and keep to 1500 calories. Most important patience and planning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Calories earned from walking are what allowed me to not feel deprived Halloween to New Year's last year and still lose weight.
  • ElleMay1978
    ElleMay1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best exercise! I have a Fitbit and just walking to the gym for about 25 mins I burn 160 calories! Since October last year I have been making an effort to walk more and I feel better for it! I am saving money on peterol and I have met more people in my local area! It's a win for me!
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    60lbs in 99 days only walking and calorie deficiency totally doable :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OcalaFL wrote: »
    60lbs in 99 days only walking and calorie deficiency totally doable :)

Which is likely only realistic at the upper end of weight loss.