struggling

Options
hello,

I have been on myfitnesspal for around 2 years now. i started off at 300lb, and I got down to 226lb within 6 months through cardio exercise and strict diet. as i lost weight so quickly and was overweight for so long, i opted to have a large tummy tuck with liposuction on my flanks to achieve a good contoured body and shape. the surgery was a success but 7 weeks on i still have a seroma on my stomach where my skin was taken and my flanks are still quite swollen and painful. i had a large overhang of loose skin and fat which would not move regardless of exercise.

the question in hand is, once i came out of surgery, i weighed 218lb. they took 7lb off me in weight total. during my 4 days in hospital i didnt exactly eat very well, and was eating maybe 1000-1500 calories a day.

7 weeks on, i have put on 11lb. I am certain that probably 1-2lb of this weight is from the seroma on my stomach which is going to need draining pretty soon, but 9lb of it, i am not sure where its come from.

I was eating 1500 calories a day before my surgery and maintaining weight which was actually quite worrying as 1500 isnt a lot, i wanted to be losing in reality. after my surgery, i stuck to 1500 calories a day, with a few days here and there where i would eat 2500 or so. following this for 7 weeks, I have put on 9lb. my clothes fit the same and i dont feel like ive put on any weight by looking in the mirror.

my personal trainer wants me to eat 2500 calories a day with all the hypertrophy weight training and cardio i do at the gym, and says 1500 is nowhere near enough and 2500 is the minimum i should eat. i haven't yet adapted my diet to eat 2500 calories a day, but i am training 3-4 times a week doing cardio (HIIT) and heavy weight training and even at 1500 calories a day I am putting on weight. i cant believe it is muscle as i have only been back at the gym for 2 weeks or so, so any muscle gain will be very small.

i am losing motivation and i cant figure out whats going on. my PT says my body is probably in starvation mode by eating so little, but eating more seems like such a step back. all i want to do is get back down to my 100kg goal weight, but it just doesn't seem to be happening. im scared to eat more as i think i am going to put more weight on, so as of today i am starting a 150g of protein a day (shakes) with water, thus making my calorie intake around 550 calories a day, and i want to try this for a week.

please help :( i definitely do not want to have paid over £10,000 for me to put weight back on!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lose the excuses and fluff, and instead tighten up your logging and be patient. Neither eating too little nor eating too much is going to help you. But I guess you aren't looking for good advice as you're alredy set on doing the opposite. So good luck on your endeavour.
  • simonleigh94
    simonleigh94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    what excuses and fluff are you referring to?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Excuses: "starvation mode", "a few days here and there where i would eat 2500 or so", followed by "i haven't yet adapted my diet to eat 2500 calories a day"
    Fluff: strict diet, protein shakes.

Patience, consistency, accuracy will give you results.
  • waistdisposalgirl
    Options
    Gosh what an unhelpful reply you got there! However, logging everything will help. As will hanging in there - why not try 2000 cals a day for 2 weeks (between you and trainers goals) and see what happens?
    Perhaps the stomach issues are causing more weight than you realise. That's quite a big op you've had so be kind to yourself.
    Perhaps get rid of the scales? Measurements matter more and won't demoralise you- if your clothes haven't got tighter then ignore that number on the little scale box!

Good luck, sounds like you've done amazingly well so far - keep going!
  • simonleigh94
    Options
    thank you, positive enforcement is what i need right now. :) thank you Waistdisposalgirl, and very profound name must i say :smiley:
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would stay true to the 1500 calorie. For those of us who have such a hard time losing it & keeping it off (I'm including myself) there's no way in hell I'd jump to 2500 per day. Make sure you are logging every tiny morsel and weighing/measuring everything. I would NOT go down to 550 calories - you may risk damaging your health. Best of luck to you - you'll find something that will work for you. Just NEVER GIVE UP!!!
  • simonleigh94
    Options
    do you need to log water?