Breastfeeding and counting calories

Options
Any ladies currently still nursing their littles? I did good yesterday and today I've done pretty good as well on tracking my calories and keeping under my limit with healthy foods. But I am fighting the hungry feeling and I struggle with binge eating. I've been told by a friend that counting calories isn't the best choice to attempt to lose weight when breastfeeding. If I go over by a hundred or two, should I really stress about it?

Replies

• jmyers0308
    jmyers0308 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem!!! :/
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being a mom! Are you adding calories in for breastfeeding? You burn calories just making milk! If you only go over your calories once or twice a week, I wouldn't stress too much about it. If you're doing it consistently, you might want to take another look at what you're eating. You may need to eat more lean protein to feel more satiated. Look also at when you get hungry. If it's between meals, you may need to break your meals up into more smaller meals. If it's in the evenings, save some calories for a healthy snack that includes protein at night.

I nursed both of my daughters, a total of three years. I lost the pregnancy weight very quickly while breastfeeding, and I counted calories both times. Just be sure to get enough nutrition and drink lots of water. Continue to take your pre-natal vitamins, and you should be fine. You will burn approximately 250-500 calories per day just by nursing!

Make sure to get enough sleep. If you have a little one who is still up at all hours, do your best to nap while baby does. Hey, my youngest is 11, and I still nap!

Good luck!
  • tridentinefan
    tridentinefan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a retired La Leche League leader. Exclusive breastfeeding consumes approximately 500 calories, so it would be reasonable to tack on 500 calories to your goal number. One wants to be cautious when losing baby weight too fast while nursing exclusively because it can affect milk supply and start a spiral toward supplementing.
  • Goldie14
    Goldie14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with weight loss whilst breastfeeding, I have good days and then I have bad days. I am trying to keep active with lots of walking so it's not all diet but exercise too but my LO doesn't sleep well so I struggle to sleep then I eat the wrong things when I'm tired as I have older children who co scantly eat. I've been cooking ahead and made healthy snacks but the lack of weight loss is disheartening any advice
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm a retired La Leche League leader. Exclusive breastfeeding consumes approximately 500 calories, so it would be reasonable to tack on 500 calories to your goal number. One wants to be cautious when losing baby weight too fast while nursing exclusively because it can affect milk supply and start a spiral toward supplementing.

Me too!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I didn't start up with MFP until my little guy was almost 1 year and he was eating a lot by that point. I kept my calories at 2,000 (which included either a walk or a fast routine like 30 day shred). I lost 0.5 lbs a week. It took a while but I lost. If I started when he was younger I would have eaten more. You don't want to lose too fast as it can effect your milk supply. But also our fat stores and releases toxins during rapid weight loss, so I didn't want to lose too fast. Once my son was two I didn't worry about keeping my milk supply up. He just weaned in April/May at 43 months. Good luck!
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP when my daughter was 7 months. I added 300 calories a day for breastfeeding since she was eating solids daily. I slowly decreased my breastfeeding calories add-on until she was about 13 months. She is still nursing a few times daily but I am back at work so she is mostly on solids now. I lost 30 lbs so far. You can lose weight while breastfeeding and maintain milk supply if you do it slowly.
  • obsessednpossesed
    Options
    I'm meeting my daily goals and after the last 3 days of counting and picking through eating healthy, I realize now where I stand on what I need to eat. I need to eat more at breakfast and add like 400 calories to each day now. I've been under today and Monday. Yesterday j kind of drank a ton of milk and ate a half a box of ships ahoy cookies. Go me.. Lmao.