hard hard hard to lose..

Options
Hello -

I have had some thyroid issues in the last year - going from hyper-thyroid to now, hypo-thyroid (radiation killed my thyroid) - I started on Synthroid about 4 months ago but I have noticed the scale going UP not down :o( I have gained a good 15 pounds to my 5 feet, 3 inch frame just since my thyroid went hypothyroid. I am not a happy lady.. :o( I used to be able to lose weight fast (of course, we're talking a good 20 yrs ago) - I am 54 yrs. old now.. It seems I started gaining weight - going from about 125 pounds up to 190 pounds in about 15 yrs and now up to 215 with the thyroid issues on top of it. I am extremely sedentary which I know is a HUGE problem. My job involves sitting behind the computer DAILY for at least 8 hours a day - once I'm finished, it's 5:30 p.m. & I am mentally/physically exhausted .. and all I want to do is plop on the couch.. I have absolutely no energy these days at all and am kind of sitting in a lot of stress with marriage/family issues, so that doesn't help either. I am so disgusted with myself, I have no self-esteem anymore. I think back to when I was 'active' and now I see a ballooning person in the mirror that I just don't like to even look at.. I find myself also backing away from a lot of socializing because I am so self-conscious. I have 3 children - ages 29, 18 and 12.. and two grandchildren, 10 & 8. I don't want them to remember me as 'fat old mom/gramma'.. I want to gain self-respect again and feel good about myself & be healthy as much as I can be. I'm hoping this time I can succeed .. :o)

Replies

• hapilymarried2006
    hapilymarried2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm in the same work situation have you tried taking a vitamin super B complex
    I get them from walmart and take 1every afternoon ...this seems to
    Give me enough energy to make it to the gym...:)
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Im in the same boat. I found out several years ago that my thyroid didnt work. Ive been on Synthroid since. I gained weight as well. But there is good news. Ive worked hard and have lost 53 pounds. It wasnt easy but its possible. You can add me if you like and I will support you in any way I can. Good luck.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am/was in a similar boat, but longer work hours and no health issues (per se). The turning point for me was a multi vitamin with calcium and iron. I used to think vitamins were a fad, but now I'm a believer. It gave me enough energy to diet. Three months down the vitamin / diet road and I had enough energy to exercise. I do not make this up. Don't give up. Keep trying things until you find something that works for you. Baby steps . . .
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't have thyroid issues but I can definitely sympathize with motivation problems. Your new medication will probably help you along in your weight loss, but you need to follow through with diet and exercize as well. Try and get yourself motivated to do some exercise. You may be stressed and you may also be mentally/physically exhausted, but after getting into an exercize routine, you'll find yourself WAY more energized and less stressed out.
  • hapilymarried2006
    hapilymarried2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How do you know what kind of vitamins to take and how much?
  • carolyndowdy
    carolyndowdy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    new to this site. Trying to learn how to use it. I too work a job behind a computer with a very seditary job. I have gained up to 210 the last time I weighed. I use to have so much energy. (before menopause) I have been told by the dr that I am insulin resistant and that my crp level is high. I feel like I appear healthy but my life style is slowly draining my health. My problem is I havean addiction to carbs. When I start to try to eat healthy I get depressed and don't want to get out of bed. I know if I just get off them that after a while I will be fine but I really need support. I just asked a friend at work today if she would support me and she told me about this app. I am so excited. I feel like this is something I have been searching for. :happy:
  • carolyndowdy
    carolyndowdy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I purchase my vitamins from DrMercola.com. His website is so informative. He studies vitamins and what vitamins are best absorbs. If you have a facebook you can like his page and get updates.