Question...

Options
I have a question! I am a runner so I burn a lot of calories, thats pretty much all I do but I'm getting into pilates and yoga. I used to play volleyball but I just finished my last season. So "are we there yet" posted something earlier about fat burning calories and such, and what I think she was saying that if i continue to train the same, like same pace and such I won't have much benefit, losing weight wise? I am training for a marathon so I run 6 days a week, anyways if you have any feedback that would be great thanks!

~Leash

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I have a question! I am a runner so I burn a lot of calories, thats pretty much all I do but I'm getting into pilates and yoga. I used to play volleyball but I just finished my last season. So "are we there yet" posted something earlier about fat burning calories and such, and what I think she was saying that if i continue to train the same, like same pace and such I won't have much benefit, losing weight wise? I am training for a marathon so I run 6 days a week, anyways if you have any feedback that would be great thanks!

~Leash
  • Go_Duke
    Go_Duke Posts: 66
    Options
    we plateau with exercises bc the body gets used to doing the same thing over and over and over again, so its good to mix things up a bit

Mr Tony Horton, (Beachbody, P90 P90X) calls it muscle confusion, you trick your body into losing more weight and gaining more muscle

I would suggest adding different things to your running (dont stop ur running)
    like plyometric training or kick boxing or something like that to pump up ur stamina even more

hope that helps :smile:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    You could also try cross training/circuit routines a couple of times a week. Mix up doing sprints with push-ups, sit-ups, lunges etc.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    We do reach a sort of 'peak efficiency'...we burn fewer calories than we did when we were just starting out. But you're never going to reach a point at which running doesn't burn a lot of calories. It's high impact and requires us to propel ourselves entirely off the ground, so it will always burn a lot of calories.

However, it's extremely important for you to cross train to avoid overuse injuries and strengthen your weak areas to further avoid injury and make you more efficient. The more miles you run, the greater your risk of injury...so it's perfectly fine to run 4-5 times per week and cross train 2-3 times per week. Cycle or swim instead of running--you'll still build endurance. Perform resistance training around/on your shortest run days to decrease strength imbalances and increase strength so you can have quicker starts and finishes. And definitely stretch, because running uses a very small range of motion and causes a lot of stiffness in the hips.