Plateau Concerns

Options
So I have been gaining and loosing the same 3 pounds for about a month now. Has anyone else had this happen and how do you over come it? I continually log everyday and will log even when I go over. I'm also on a water pill so my water weight should be normal. It's just really weighting me down, but I will always continue to push through. I just hope there is someone out there who will say "I made it just hold on"

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i always found the best way to get off a plateau is up your daily cals by about 300..it sounds scary as hell, but it has worked for me many-a time..best of luck :drinker:
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post that many people have found helpful. I hope you do too, because it's terribly frustrating.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    YYYEESS, sorry to say but from Nov 22, 201 until 2/25/11 I only went down 1 pound then I started atleast 2 a month which sounds slow and it is but I've already lost 135 so I will take slow than gain or the same. Good luck, eat healthy exercise and you can't go wrong. It will show eventually
    :smile:
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm interested also, I've been on this plateau for about 5-6 weeks now. Sheesh. I tried uping my cals but that only made me gain. LOL. But I seem to retain water super easy. So that may have been it.
  • megpegmeg
    megpegmeg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck in the same rut. The same pound over the last three weeks. Up a pound, down a pound, back up. I'm not sure how to get over it.
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    I've basically been the same weight since end of January! FML
  • StLouisTim
    StLouisTim Posts: 22
    Options
    Is it possible that you're losing inches and not pounds?
  • dkkulp
    dkkulp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert. That said, it sounds like your body is becoming accustomed to loosing weight. Jolt your system by increasing your activity at least 2x a week. Don't reduce calories, you'll send yourself into starvation mode. Don't be afraid to increase HEALTHY calories (fiber & protein) on those days. Try to do intervals of slow and fast walking, running, biking or whatever you are doing for cardio. Slow and steady for 30 minutes won't do as much as slow and fast repeated over 30 minutes. Also, try to add some weights somewhere. They are supposed to create and "afterburn" effect where you burn calories long after you completed your exercise. NICE. Hope it helps!

FYI - I'm trying to push through a plateau too. It sucks.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post that many people have found helpful. I hope you do too, because it's terribly frustrating.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

I just read this and it was incredibly helpful. Good luck!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. I've actually hit a plateau a couple of times. The thing that busted it: increasing cals!

Don't be afraid to eat/gain. Here's the thing: You've already lost weight. Any increase, you know you can take it off. You've lost 29 lbs. already!! Great job!! If you gain, it's temporary, I promise! Increase cals and give it about 3 wks. Yes, change up your workouts but eating more is the key.

Here's the deal: MFP will decrease calories if you update your goals. That's fine and that's how it goes. Eventually, we all hit that dreaded wall. Increase your cals manually on here or increase your activity level. Give it a fair shot. Don't freak when the scale goes up and then back off. That won't do any good. Patience. We've all heard, "slow and steady wins." That's true.

Good luck!!
  • laurenstephw
    Options
    its interesting everyone is saying increase cause when i started to see signs of a plateau i immediately decreased them. I'll defs try it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a nasty plateau, since May 17th. It's really starting to piss me off. It's so hard to keep up my motivation when it's not even working a little bit. It feels like my body has thrown a tantrum and just refuses to lose any more weight. It's a daily struggle.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options

It is a great blog....really helpful!!!