Daily Scale Stepper

Options
So I will admit I'm a daily scale stepper - sometimes it's even more than once a day. I obsess over it! For September - I weighed and took measurements on the 1st. It's really hard to break the routine of not getting on that scale but I'm hoping that by not looking at that number every day, or even multiple times per day, it will help with the weight loss.

Have any of you tried, going without weighing yourself for like a month? Did it help?

Also, feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm daily too, and occasionally more than once a day, but I'm making efforts to leave off on that crazy. I did manager to weigh once a week for a while, but I caved. To be honest though, I've never seen it have an effect on my weight loss. Just my level of obsession.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I did do a 45 day no weigh in at all, it worked very well. But I am a little OCD and my weight goals are different now so I use a weight trending app to help me use the scale to my benefit and I sort of made peace with all that happens when I do get on and off it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day. You are a lot better off to only weigh once or twice a week. If you are being so obsessed with weight, then those normal fluctuations are only going to frustrate you worse.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how weighing or not weighing will help the weight loss but I do agree obsessing over things isn't super healthy. I weigh every morning and track my 7 day running average. That helps me see the overall progress and smooth out the ups and downs. The biggest problem I see with weighing once a week or every two weeks is the possibility of catching a low day then a high day and then a high day and not really getting any sense for a long time if you are making a difference. My two cents worth.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 1/week.

Ive started weighing daily just to see how my patterns go. Which foods (within my calorie limits) make me retain water, bloat me, make me hungrier, tummy troubles, etc. I love the notes section for this reason.

Ive been at 1400 calorie goal and moving more and not eating back any exercise but I cant seem to lose anything for 3 weeks now!!

Until I start seeing what calorie goal creates weight loss I cant stop weighing.
    But once I do Id love to stop weighing myself.
    Once/month would be nice- but after I see how my weight fluctuates daily over several weeks, TOM, etc.
    I hate my damn scale right now- so I contend that its not a reflection of my efforts and its just data. Then Ill use the data to motivate me vs the scale every morning to frustrate me. Its all just numbers after all. :)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning without fail.....Im also guilty of weighing again through out the day but am trying not to.

I was considering not weighing in for 2 weeks (after my offical weigh in on friday morning) but i cant see me making it past a day lol
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It keeps me on track.
  • islandgirl29710
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I have a set official weigh in day. Weighing myself everyday keeps me in check with how I'm doing. I don't obsess over every pound (up or down). I've lost over 100lbs so seeing the scale go up a few pounds don't concern me at this stage. I also try not to obsess over the number. I do weigh myself in the evening but not all the time. I would say as long as you are not obsessed about every ounce, it's good to keep yourself in check. For me, I would totally avoid the scale when I was heavier so this is completely a difference for me.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily. I like to see the trend. There is nothing wrong with weighing everyday.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily although I don't feel like I obsess over it. I'm tracking my progress in terms of weight with the scale and %bodyfat with calipers to make sure I'm not losing any muscle. Wouldn't see the advantage to stop doing so but that's me.

If the scale causes you anxiety then yeah take a break or stop altogether...weighing yourself regularly isn't what makes you lose weight after all.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    wnu31bmonm6w.jpg

This is this month's weight tracking that I have.. You can see the 7 day average really smooths out the peaks and valleys of daily weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I went without weighing myself for like years. It didn't really help. I gained some weight :s

I weighed myself every week while I was losing weight, and daily now in maintenance. Weighing myself doesn't tend to lead to obsession for me, but not doing it makes me both anxious and lax.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.

It's hard not to obsess over it but I find it helpful to see the immediate changes. I had a lot of salt now it's up no surprises. It's just interesting to see how quickly diet can reflect in my weight. I do occasionally weigh myself in the evening as well just to remind myself that there are natural fluctuations and it doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong (which I find helpful during my TOM when I'm less reasonable about the weight gain).

It also keeps me honest and focused. When I don't weigh everyday I find myself slipping into the mind set of "I'm not weighing till Monday, I can work it off later" and for me that way lies madness.

I'm working on feeling the changes in my body rather than the scale but I'm not there yet. I still need the number to know that what I'm doing is working. Hopefully one day I won't need that kind of reassurance but for now I definitely do. I can see why it would be the opposite for some people though.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing daily starting last month. I found that daily weighing daily was making me too conscious of my eating behavior which was not good, and beside my wt was only fluctuating 3, 4 lbs.

My strategy now is to only weigh after the day that I spend effort on my diet, but only after 2, 3 weeks for substantial result. The idea is only to gauge how that effort goes. Keep doing the same or make adjustment.

• szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only have one "official" weigh in a week (when I input it into MFP). I do this for several reasons:

1. I feel like I understand my body better and then things like TOM, salt intake, etc don't freak me out as much
    2. For some reason, having to stand on that scale every morning helps me to be more accountable (especially in the evenings when I used to snack). As someone above mentioned, I went years without stepping on a scale, so when I AM stepping on one I feel like that means I am serious.
    3. I don't let the fluctuations bother me - I have been doing this for awhile so I know fluctuations are normal
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing daily starting last month. I found that daily weighing daily was making me too conscious of my eating behavior which was not good, and beside my wt was only fluctuating 3, 4 lbs.

My strategy now is to only weigh after the day that I spend effort on my diet, but only after 2, 3 weeks for substantial result. The idea is only to gauge how that effort goes. Keep doing the same or make adjustment.

Isn't the whole point to be conscious of your eating behavior? I can't see how this is a bad thing...