8k run

Options
cabul3
cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
so i'm not a runner and have never run more than 6k last weekend on the treadmill; 1 5k run (terry fox run!) last september, and that's it!
for some unknown reason, i thought it would be a "fun" challenge to run an 8k on sunday in 2 days.
no training, no preparation, possible deathwish!?

ANY tips for running/pacing/surviving would be MUCH appreciated :o)

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Get some Ecstasy. Then at least you won't feel the brutal pain you're body is gonna be in ;)

(Kidding, not seriously meaning for you to get drugs)
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    take your time and you will find that you get into the zone where you feel like you can run for days!! Dont worry about your speed, cause your still lapping the people on theire couches!!! Have fun!!
  • adrianmg
    adrianmg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As the other poster said, don't overdo it and you'll likely find a comfortable "zone" at which you can steadily make the whole distance.

The only thing I would add (having just come in from my first attempt at a 5mile route, and only recently having started running) - be certain your running shoes are good and fit properly, wear the right sports socks. I realised to the end of my run today that a slight niggle had become a blister under the arch of one foot. Not a dealbreaker, just a nuisance, and sports socks (didn't have any spare) would probably have been enough to make the difference.

But have fun.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    thanks! i'm definitely not running to win, just running to finish :o)
    and i know i'm gonna feel the burn when i'm done, o o!