Why the special (Paelo, Low Carb, Primal) diets?

Options
I have been tracking calories for nearly 40 days now, and have lost approximately 13 pounds at around a 1000 calorie deficit with 3 - 4 days a week of cardio and weights (hard workouts). I have not done anything special except carefully count calories and somewhat macros (but not as close as I probably should be doing).

I have been listening to the primal potential podcast, and don't agree with the ideas of things like "fat loss breakfast." I also don't understand why people go to the extreme with special foods, diets, etc, none which seem long term viable. When I hear what people eat all I can think is... why would I want to eat that way? Doing research many of these diets have been straight refuted (such as this link about low carb, http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html). In fact based on my training I feel like crap when working out without sufficient carbs.

I understand that people can loose weight on these diets, but it seems like watching calories, points, macros, whatever you choose will provide longer lasting results. Why do people do it then? To try and get minor edges on weight loss? To try to avoid the hard work of weight loss? Why?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I think the first 2 answers are good. I see your point though. It seems to me that a lot of people make it more complicated than it needs to be.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do it because it works for me and it keeps me on track. I often do Whole30s (a modified version of Paleo). I noticed that eating cleanly, I will lose more weight eating more calories (with exercise held constant) than I do with just a straight restriction. I believe I may get a small energy bump too! I also tend to feel more full with the same number of calories, because it takes a lot of veggies to equal a serving of chips!
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    But do whatever works for you! As long as you hit your goals and are happy, that is what matters!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Some because it works for them, others because they think they have to.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think people go for these diets for various different reasons including but not limited to desperation, medical conditions, lack of knowledge re: nutrition, to be part of a group, plain ol' personal preference...

What does it matter why they do it? At least they are doing something.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    my58vw wrote: »
    I have been tracking calories for nearly 40 days now, and have lost approximately 13 pounds at around a 1000 calorie deficit with 3 - 4 days a week of cardio and weights (hard workouts). I have not done anything special except carefully count calories and somewhat macros (but not as close as I probably should be doing).

I have been listening to the primal potential podcast, and don't agree with the ideas of things like "fat loss breakfast." I also don't understand why people go to the extreme with special foods, diets, etc, none which seem long term viable. When I hear what people eat all I can think is... why would I want to eat that way? Doing research many of these diets have been straight refuted (such as this link about low carb, http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html). In fact based on my training I feel like crap when working out without sufficient carbs.

I understand that people can loose weight on these diets, but it seems like watching calories, points, macros, whatever you choose will provide longer lasting results. Why do people do it then? To try and get minor edges on weight loss? To try to avoid the hard work of weight loss? Why?

What works for me or anyone is irrelevant... if what you are doing works for you... focus on that.

I don't eat any certain way, I eat what I like... the easiest way to explain my restrictions is to say I eat paleo cause it just stops the next line of questions that come with. "I don't eat dairy" Random person: Why? then to try and explain to someone I am lactose intolerant is annoying. Same with not eating gluten, so many people faked the allergy to... and then to go into the details about what gluten does to me... it's just uncalled for... even more so in the workplace.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree, diets only work as long as you are on them. I find eating as healthy as I can the majority of the time and counting calories works for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    There's the whole 'carbs are evil' mentality, but I'm sure it's sustainable for 'some' people... but probably for big meat eaters vs people with a sweet tooth (totally generalizing).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Like everyone has already said different diets suit different people. Hard work is great but easy is where you really want to be. When life gets in the way - and it will, it always does - you'll be able to sustain your weight loss when your focus changes.

Congrats on your fantastic start and don't be afraid to try new things if what you're doing right now gets harder instead of easier as time goes on. Best wishes. :smile:
  • my58vw
    my58vw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why would you think that someone who chooses to eat different foods or a different macro ratio isn't working just as hard as you are to lose weight? And if you consider your approach to be "hard work," wouldn't that raise some concerns about whether it is really sustainable?

I specifically mention that I go to the gym and work out hard, not that the process is hard. In fact the process is easy overall... stay in your calorie goal and lose weight. I definitely am not saying that others do not work out hard, quite the opposite actually. It i kind of like when I go to the gym and see people reading on the elliptical... are they really trying (yes they are working out, but are they really trying hard)?

I was a semi pro level competitive cyclist for many years when I was young. There are many ways of training, and some are better than others, but they all end up with the same result... being faster. The said, there were quite a number of people doing stuff off the rails (like using illegal or banned substances). Once they go off them (or get caught and banned) they loose their additional gains. This is how I see these "weird" diets...

As for fast food, yes it is considered some to not be the best, or not "clean." While I try to eat clean, I don't see eating a random egg sandwich or burrito to be detrimental to your health. There are some who have never had them and might not enjoy them, and that is their choice. There is a functional difference between the difference between clean and fast food, and normal eating and "low carb" or similar.
    As longer lasting results go, it's pretty much a mute point given that regardless of the method one uses to lose weight, only about 5% keep it off long term...doesn't matter at all if they were calorie counting, low carb, paleo, etc...most people don't maintain results long term.

I think this might be the more scary idea... how to people go off diets and fall back anyway... I have done it, but then I think many do... I did it because I had no direction in food... now I do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Lots of different reasons, some good, some based on misinformation.

Among the bad reasons, IMO, is the idea that they need to to lose or that they will be able to "trick" the system and eat way more calories.

Among the (possibly) good reasons: they don't enjoy counting calories and find they are able to lose/maintain doing the diet, they find the diet's way of eating appealing, they find it a good stepping stone to improving their eating habits, it's more sustainable to them to feel that they are part of a community and adopting a special way of eating allows them to do this (I think this can be good unless they get annoying and evangelical about it, of course!).