My Planned Workout

Options
I am posting here to see what some others might have to say about if I am doing enough, and if not what I could change.
Currently I go to the gym 5-6 times a week in the evening. I stretch, and then I get on the Elliptical Machine at level 10 for 30 minutes. I maintain an average of 7-12 mph the entire time (minus the 60 second cool down). In that time, I average 4 - 4.5 miles. This is my entire work out. My focus is on calorie burning and weight loss, as well as cardio endurace (as I have asthma so maintaining my breathing is very problematic at times). The gym I use is very warm, on average 85-100 degrees depending on the weather that day (it is a tent in the middle of the desert). I have been doing this workout the past week, and my intention is to increase my time by 10 minutes each week until I reach 60 minutes. Beyond that, my plan is to increase the level of stress by 2 each week until I reach the max at 25. I put the settings on 'Aerobic' which changes the settings from pushing, pulling, lower body and reverse.

As with any weight-loss/work out routine, diet is an important factor. My largest problem in this area is Pepsi and David Sunflower Seeds. I am a very picky eater, and don't often eat large meals. I like meat, and eat steak when I get the chance and occassionally a burger. When I get a burger, I do not dress it or use a bun. Needless to say, I dont eat overly healthy, but I have been choosing to eat mostly fruit and various other uncooked foods (ham, olives, sandwhiches).

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas about what I am doing, and what I plan to do, please feel free to offer advise. I have a small goal of 10-20lbs weight loss followed by maintainment. Thanks.

Replies

• derynb
    derynb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    My husband has been involved in health and fitness for years and his bible is 'The Body Fat Solution' by Tom Venuto.
    This book covers everything you want to know about diet and fitness and is the one book everyone should have. If possible you should be incorporating weights into your workouts as you will burn more calories for a longer time than just cardio alone. You need to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day including a good breakfast and try and incorporate protein at every meal to keep you feeling fuller for longer, also drink lots of water. Hope this has been of some help.
  • PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    Options
    The eliptical is my favorite machine, but I found that I needed to change my workout up a bit from time to time. I think your body gets use to what type of exercise you are doing and gets "stuck in the rut" sometimes. So, I started dancing and swimming just to mix it up a little. As far as dieting....Pepsi's were my biggest sin! I was addicted to them and drank 4 or 5 cans a day when I first started. When I finally cut them out, I lost a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks...like 7 or 8 pounds!!! Although I still want one every now and then :sad: I drink water instead!!! I hope this all helps! I am a junk eater also...very bad diet habits...which is why I love the eliptical (burns calories fast)!!! It can be tough but you will reach your goal!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Merricles
    Merricles Posts: 21
    Options
    The eliptical is my favorite machine, but I found that I needed to change my workout up a bit from time to time. I think your body gets use to what type of exercise you are doing and gets "stuck in the rut" sometimes. So, I started dancing and swimming just to mix it up a little. As far as dieting....Pepsi's were my biggest sin! I was addicted to them and drank 4 or 5 cans a day when I first started. When I finally cut them out, I lost a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks...like 7 or 8 pounds!!! Although I still want one every now and then :sad: I drink water instead!!! I hope this all helps! I am a junk eater also...very bad diet habits...which is why I love the eliptical (burns calories fast)!!! It can be tough but you will reach your goal!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Swimming and dancing aren't options where I am. Although, I do love to swim. I may not have mentioned, but I have knee injuries that prevent me from doing lower body impact (such as dancing). I enjoy cardio though, I always have. I used to run, had a 13 min two mile. Once I got hurt though, I really let it go. Now, I have new goals and a new life, so health is certainly something I am trying to get back to. Pepsi is the devil though. I drink probably 3-4 cans a day. I do however still drink a lot of water, so I am well hydrated. At least it is pepsi and not red bull!! haha