Positive self talk at the gym!

Options
Hello,

So I've been on and off MFP for the last couple years. In the last year 1/2 I've gained 20 lbs. I've just got back into the swing of things eating well and exercising. I know this may sound ridiculous, but I find myself being upset at the gym. Using the mirrors while weight training asking myself "How did I let this happen?" I know this is an internal struggle as I've dealt with negative self talk before but any advice on how you've gotten through it if this has happened to you? Maybe some little mantra's you've told yourself?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I sometimes call the barbell my b!tch before a lift.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Negative self talk is bad, slap your inner mouth in the face when it starts talking smack!

Tell yourself that after your workout you're going to feel better, and be in better health. It's going to be hard, but nothing worth doing is easy.

And if you're feeling particularly aggressive "We're done, when I say we're done".
  • novamagma
    novamagma Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I feel good about a workout, I either make mental notes or actually write myself notes for later, that I can read when I feel unmotivated, such as "you'll feel better after you do it!" Maybe you could modify that to suit your needs?
    I definitely have better success when I focus less on losing weight, and more on workout goals such as increasing running speed, or reps for the next time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I sometimes call the barbell my b!tch before a lift.

I should add that, sometimes, the barbell just laughs at me.
  • missyw2you
    missyw2you Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too have regained a significant amount of weight (for the 2nd time btw). So I understand where you are at. I too beat myself up for ending up back here after working so hard to lose the weight (twice) before. However, all we can do is start where we are at now. Work with what we have and move on. Hey, if I lost it before I know I can do it again. Although I will say it feels harder this time around. Anyway, hang in there! One workout at a time!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wear gear that has positive motivational sayings on it, preferably backwards so you can read it while looking at your self..

In all seriousness, unless you are needing to watch your form in the mirror, focus on the workout. The next one or next day you may see something totally different. Starting off a workout or performing during a workout with a demotivating attitude can only hurt progress. Hold your head up high and think about the work your are doing towards your goals.. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I do the same when i change into my workout clothes.. what in the heck? Why didn't you see this long before now.. blah blah blah.. right? lol. Then i realize the only way to get out of it is to workout… i also tell myself it isn't the end of the world.. it is something i can change..it will just take time..and not to beat myself up.

I also look at other people in the gym who have so much more to lose than i do.. and i respect them for being there..and realize if they can do it ..so can I!

And it is hard because it takes time..that's when i go to the success forum and look at all the people who have transformed over a year's time.. it can happen. Good Luck.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    "This bar is light. This bar is light. This bar is light."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here's a great DVD that can help with negative self talk: You Can Heal Your Life, the movie, expanded version. It was available in my library system so maybe yours as well.
  • jillk93
    jillk93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Some great advice in here :)
  • somegirlsdo
    somegirlsdo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My workout naturally divides into 7.5 minute sections, and so I try to focus on "accomplishing" the section and encouraging myself as though I were a third person. "Come on, somegirlsdo, You can Do It, just Three and a Half Minutes to the end of this section!!"

Speaking to myself in the third person gives me the emotional distance to treat myself as kindly as I would someone else. If your friend was working out next to you, what would you say? "God, your fat rolls really squish out when you bend forward!" or "Good job, you're killing this set, two more to go!!"

Focus on what is being accomplished *in this workout*, and vocalize it (internally if you need to), and conscientously squash any negative talk just like you would if it were someone else that you were encouraging and not yourself.