Cheat days?

Options
Okay, so basically, I have alloted myself 2 "cheat days" a week. Tuesdays and Fridays I will eat something i'm generally "not allowed" to eat. Does anyone else do this? I plan on cutting my "cheat days" eventually (definitely not forever, I promise) but for now, I kind of feel that if I don't have a cheat day, I will give up completely.
Tuesday is a cheat day because I usually like to eat a "forbidden food" (like ice cream or a cookie) while watching PLL.
Friday is a cheat day because it's my husband and I's date night.
So far I haven't had any real problems and I still haven't gone ridiculously over my calorie goals set out by MFP. Just wondering if anyone else does it. :)

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually Thursday or Friday because I travel for work that day and have access to Chik-fil-a.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have cheat days, today is one is suppose... One cheat day per week is sufficient, I always make sure I've earned it twice over first tho...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days anymore - I eat what I want, when I want. I eat everything in moderation, log it into my food diary and move on.

For me, knowing I can eat whatever I want every single day makes this less "diet-y" and more of a lifestyle change. :)
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have cheat day on Saturday!! It's a good way to fulfill those pesky cravings!! Cheat days are a must!!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days anymore - I eat what I want, when I want. I eat everything in moderation, log it into my food diary and move on.

For me, knowing I can eat whatever I want every single day makes this less "diet-y" and more of a lifestyle change. :)

ditto.

i don't want any food i eat to make me feel bad for eating it. as long as i can fit it into my day for cals, i don't worry what it is. i don't want to suddenly start craving something that isn't the healthies and then feel guilty about it. i also have no problem planning my whole day around something bad i am going to eat.
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    I am a huge believer in 'cheat' days. For me, it gives me another thing to look forward to and also a sense of achievement, (like a glass of wine (or 2) on a friday if ive done all I said i would during the week).
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of cheat meals/days in the last 17 months.....and i've managed to lose over 140lbs.

Sometimes it was only a snack food at a movie or dinner and dessert but other days I've had full out anything goes all day and night binges including some alcohol and I still managed to lose weight on most of those weeks as well, those cheats were only occasional though like once a month.

I then switched to 1 weekly cheat (usually fri or sat) and tried to not go over in calories too much but sometimes I did do pretty bad and I'd see a gain but it would go away in a day or 2 since it was mostly just due to salt/water retention.

I have to be more careful now though since I am so close to goal it seems like I think of having a cheat and I gain a few lbs and if I do cheat and see an increase in my weight it can take all week or more to get it back off so these days I really have to think about if my cheats are worth it or not.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have 'cheat' days regularly if that's what you want to call them. I try not to feel guilty about them as I usually nearly triple my exercise calories each week and am at goal weight. I always log what I've eaten, good or bad and start each day with an 'it's a new day: attitude. It's all about the marathon, not a sprint.
  • timidury
    timidury Posts: 23
    Options
    I make "Sundays" my cheat days. On Sundays we usually go out to brunch with our friends so I'll allow myself to eat something that I normally wouldn't (like eggs benedict, with the sauce on the side!) and a mimosa or Kir.

It doesn't really make me go over THAT much in my calorie count, then again I've only been dieting for a few weeks now (and only on this site for a few days!) so we'll see how it goes.
  • xxcatyxx555
    xxcatyxx555 Posts: 184
    Options
    you watch PLL<3333333333333 and today was a total cheat day for me because it was what i call a "hollow day" aka it means that no matter ow much i ate i was still hungry, i rarely have them so i dont stress it
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Totally with you!!!! My plan is that if I eat good all week then on Friday I can get a snack sized mcflurry from mcdonalds! Because now they have the rolo kind!!!!! It's a good way to get a cheat in without going all out and buying a huge ol one!!! Best of luck to you!!!
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    The more I invest in my body the less I want cheat days- I did have a moment today when I was dying for my old favorite FRIED CLAMS and drove past the place at high speed - maybe someday I can eat that kind of stuff in moderation but right now there is no way
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    so my co worker is a certified national trainer/nutritionist and she recommends one cheat day a week. i was totally against the idea but hey shes the expert right? just scared that i may go over board and not stick to plan :/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Unless I am intentionally going over my calories for a day, I don't even call it a cheat day. Eating some chocolate or pie or cake while remaining within your calories is not cheating, it is following the program. The point is to make up you calories mainly (like 90%) of "healthy" foods. If you have some other so called "unhealthy" food along with that but maintain your calories you will do just fine
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. So far using MFP (will be 55 days tomorrow!) I've only gone over my calories a handful of times. If I want a "treat", I'll just make sure to fit it into my daily calories by either eating less at another meal or exercising more. :smile:
  • dottieb1974
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day every now and again.. but I'm with some of the other posts on this subject. I'm trying not to let this feel like a diet. I want to succeed so I'm choosing to eat things that make me happy and are within my daily allowance. When I get close to my cal goal I quit eating and drink water.

The thing is, that the longer I do this, the more things that make me happy are things that are good for me, like fruits and veggies. I try to be smart not eat fast food or foods high in carbs and fat. But when I do have those things, I do my best not to beat myself up too much.

One thing that I have done is: challenge myself to try new foods that I wouldn't normally try before I started looking to improve my health. Also, I try to drink plenty of water all day so that I am fuller faster. This keeps me from "cheating" everyday and allows me to find foods that I love and are good for me. Each week I try to introduce a new food. I also allow myself icecream (my weakness) any time I want it. and believe it or not, since I started logging my food, i haven't desired the icecream as often as I thought I would.

It's not easy to walk away from a habit..but it is worth it if you make it fun an challenging. Good luck to you and congrats on your loss so far.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When you say Cheat days do you mean you dont log at all and eat whatever you want etc?

Ive been on here a month and have logged everything except for last night. I stopped logging at about 9pm. Other than that I have treats if I want them but fit them in with excercise so Im not over cals. When I went to the cinema I brought my own treat with me.

Other than last night, I have logged every single thing. Different things work differently for people!!
    xx
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's not 'cheating' to eat. Anything. So long as you're within your calorie target for the day, you're technically fine; more realistically, you probably also want to eat in a generally healthy way with other treats worked in, but the idea that things are 'forbidden' is a slippery slope for me. I got to be overweight not because I ate sweet and fattening foods, but because I ate them to excess without bothering to think about how they fitted into the overall picture of what I was eating. I'm not prepared to give those foods up forever - there's nothing 'wrong' with them, and I enjoy them - but I need to learn to enjoy them in moderation, as part of that overall picture. Could I cut them out altogether in order to lose weight? Yes. Would that teach me to eat in a sustainable, balanced way? No. And when I came to start eating them again, I'd end up in exactly the same situation. So, to me, it's important to eat all kinds of foods, and learn to do it right.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I try not to have cheat days. The last time I went on a diet I allowed myself one day a week - I soon fell off the wagon and made every day a cheat day :(

This time, I'm not allowing that. If I want something like a pizza or a chocolate bar, I will work for it by exercising. If I feel like snacking, I'll have sugar free/calorie free jelly instead of a packet of crisps.

I find it easier to have something I like then work it off than just eating it and sitting down for the rest of the day. I'm really getting into exericising and I'm loving the results so far.
  • Hixena
    Hixena Posts: 24
    Options
    i call it treat day instead, makes it sound like more of a reward for doing well all week rather than cheat which sounds like youre doing wrong :smile: