Anyone over 55 and having a hard time?

Options
Hi All - re the subject - I am over 55 and I'm having such a hard time sticking to this - I've only lost 5 lbs in the last month and a bit. I am having such difficulty in losing entirely! - I know that it is possible and can be harder as one ages - BUT- I need some suggestions - anyone?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What exactly are having trouble with? 5 pounds in the last month is good, it means you are doing something right. Is your calorie deficit too steep? Height, weight and goal weight?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I agree with above poster that 5 pounds in a month is a great pace. In fact, if it feels hard, I'd aim to slow it down even further.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 55 would be thrilled to lose 5lbs in a month! I agree, it is a lot harder now...the weight comes off very slowly and I feel I'm working 3x as hard at it as ever before. But I think as long as you are losing you are doing great!
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I started the end of May and have lost just under 23 pounds which averages about 6.5 pounds a month. Not as much as a lot of my younger friends but I'll definately take it. If you average 5 pounds a month, that's 60 pounds in a year! I just added excercise in the last month and the last couple weeks I lost a total of about 1.5 pounds. But since I started walking on the treadmill I have lost 2.5 inches in my waist.

I agree it's hard. More nights then not I don't want to go to the gym but then I figure I will just sit and watch tv. I can do that at the gym.

I am looking forward to new clothes this fall (that will only be used for this year as a year from now I intend for them not to fit). I have a long way to go and have no time limit on how long it takes to get there.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I guess I lost a lot in the first 2 weeks - (usually the case with me) - then I gained, then stayed the same and the same again! - just frustrating - Also I live with a sabateur! - Congratulations to all here that are losing - that's fantastic! - I guess I want things faster - I shouldn't - as I've been heavy/overweight all my life in various stages though. I was 174 when I was 15 and then lost 32 pounds! - I was still considered FAT! - Now, I would give anything to be 174! - You guys made me feel good! - thanks so much - MWAH! <3
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What exactly are having trouble with? 5 pounds in the last month is good, it means you are doing something right. Is your calorie deficit too steep? Height, weight and goal weight?

I think I'm having problems with keeping the faith and keeping away from alcohol and munchie driven nights! - For the most part - I'm not drinking during the week - then I'm not drinking as much as I used to on the weekend - it's difficult to live with someone who just does it all - yet LOOKS healthy and fit :(
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    tryett wrote: »
    If you average 5 pounds a month, that's 60 pounds in a year!

Right on!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I think I'm having problems with keeping the faith and keeping away from alcohol and munchie driven nights! - For the most part - I'm not drinking during the week - then I'm not drinking as much as I used to on the weekend - it's difficult to live with someone who just does it all - yet LOOKS healthy and fit :(

My OH eats and drinks more than me - but he's a foot taller. I used to have wine with dinner but realized I'd be hungry if I tried to make those empty calories fit, so drink much more rarely now. I used to look at his glass of wine and want some for myself, but I'm over that now.

If I get sufficient protein during the day, I don't have uncontrollable munchies. I save whatever potentially problematic food we're having for after dinner, just weigh out a portion, and feel satisfied with that.
  • SarahiTorres89
    SarahiTorres89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need help in loosing weight it's bin a struggle for me are you all in a strict diet or just portions and cutting away things? I am doing a 21 day fix exercise video for 21 days and cut out soda for ever and trying to say away from sugar anything else I should avoid? Please guide me girls I need to loose 70lb in total thank you.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    seriously 5 pounds a month is great, just keep going. Weight loss is not linear and will fluctuate over time. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will come down.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I need help in loosing weight it's bin a struggle for me are you all in a strict diet or just portions and cutting away things? I am doing a 21 day fix exercise video for 21 days and cut out soda for ever and trying to say away from sugar anything else I should avoid? Please guide me girls I need to loose 70lb in total thank you.

I don't cut out any foods.. there isn't any reason to cut out any foods. Just measure your food and know exactly how many calories you are taking in vs. burning. Get your body in a deficit and you will lose.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Oh you are keeping the faith just fine! It looks like there is a distraction in your house, we all may have had one of those at a time or two when we were dieting. LOL :)

You lost the first two weeks it sounds like cause you got down to the basics and perhaps lost water weight and maybe fat, but resumed some of the other normal alcohol and munchies with the OH?

I have to remember that the world around me is not always dieting when I am, and really they could care less per se, but really they don't have to.

You will have figure this out how to not let the environment around you sabotage your goals. I will not presume to know anything about your situation, so this will all come down to what you need to do mentally to work around this and stay the course?

Idea: maybe prelog the alchohol each day and eat your normal diet for the rest of the calories of the day. Strategize your weekends in advance and how you can relax a bit and enjoy these with you OH..
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My 22 and 23 yo sons live with me, talk about distractions. The oldest has the metabolism of a hummingbird and the youngest is 6-2. I keep snacks for them (mainly ones I won't eat) and they like my snacks. I am fortunate that they are supportive since I am watching carbs in addition to calories. But they eat what I do just more, plus I add additional sides for them.

Although the weight isn't coming off as fast as it did when I was younger, it truly hasn't been horribly. I took the opportunity to try lots of new recipes. The support here has been great also. The hard part for me is seeing all these friends who are losing weight faster, but I remind myself that their current day's logged may not reflect their entire journey, that they are mostly younger than I, might be more active and some have more to lose than I (and therefore would lose weight faster). But the important things are that weight lose is not linear and no two people are going to have the same weight loss, so comparisons can't be made.

OP, I would live to be 174, I think that was probably high school. It is a long way away, another 50 pounds. But if we stick to it, we will eventually get there.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I understand the challenge, since I finally got serious at 54 years old and lost the weight. One thing that might help is to be sure you move a bit more. Exercise is no substitute for poor food choices, but I've found that when I hit the "sweet spot" of good food choices and plenty of movement, the results on the scale are usually good.

As others have said, 5lbs is gone and that's great. So just keep going! Best of luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you like eating at night, skip breakfasts or have only tiny breakfasts and lunches so that you can eat more at night.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Options
    wonderful ideas and advice! - Will try some of these and keep it going! xo
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Something I've observed in myself.. is now that I'm older.. i feel at times like I'm just too tired to find the willpower and drive I used to have. it isn't like my body is broken.. i've just done the weight loss thing so many times before..it is sort of old hat. I think many people over 40 blame their age and don't really admit they move less..watch t.v. more..and are happy in their own skin as they get older.

So, in short, so i don't have vanity driving me like I did when i was single and younger. However.. I'm trying to tap into that one last time -- as i really work to get the weight off for good.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    DW lost 55 pounds at 58. She never lost more than 5 per month. You're doing great! Be bragging!
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have just started back on MFP and would be delighted if I could lose 5lb by next month. I am hoping for 5lb per month as a target. Be proud that you have achieved this and it is sustainable.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Agree with a lot of the previous posts. I also noticed it was a little less stressful once I started finding/creating meals and foods that will fit into my daily goal. The first couple of months were a giant roller coaster as I tried to find a strategy that worked for me. Just keep up the great work and be patient with yourself.