Relationships

Options
13»

Replies

• DarthJader89
    DarthJader89 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Best part of my relationship is having someone who is always there for you. He makes me laugh, he makes me feel better when I'm down, and best of all he sings these funny little songs when he thinks I can't hear him. So I guess it's obvious I don't think being in a relationship is overrated lol

I don't think love at first sight is real, but I do believe in real love
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate your words, Raina.

Thank you, Brandon. :)
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    jader8993 wrote: »
    Best part of my relationship is having someone who is always there for you. He makes me laugh, he makes me feel better when I'm down, and best of all he sings these funny little songs when he thinks I can't hear him. So I guess it's obvious I don't think being in a relationship is overrated lol

I don't think love at first sight is real, but I do believe in real love

Great answer!
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Lust at first sight yes- love at first sight no. The worst thing ever is loving someone but they don't lust for you :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    katcunock wrote: »
    Lust at first sight yes- love at first sight no. The worst thing ever is loving someone but they don't lust for you :(

II really have to be into someone to feel lust, so the distinction is pretty much lost on me... Can someone explain the difference?
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    My wife and I met online in an AOL chat room in 2000. We were both in a Cincinnati, Ohio room and she actually wanted to set me up with a friend of hers. But the more we talked the more she grew to like me. We talked for 12 weeks over the phone, IM, and E-Mail before we we decided to meet in a public place. We grew to know each other before we even saw each other.

I do believe in love, I do believe in Relationships, I do believe there is a soul mate for everyone out there somewhere. The problem lays in three folds that I see.

1) Lust. People just others based on looks. We just see someone and think. Well I cannot be seen with them, with their track record. How would it look to my friends if they saw me with that person. They're not pretty enough for me to hang around with.. Instead of looking on the inside. Emotional Love is attached to the persons emotional and mental side.

2) Internet Dating. With sites like Tinder floating around you're doing noting but projecting your wants every before you're getting to know someone. Which Stems from my point above. Then you have places like Match[dot]com where you can go out with someone one time and instantly think "Yea/No". People do not really get to know each other before moving forward.

3) Entitlement/Selfishness. Everything wants to think What can this person do for me. That's not how a relationship works. It's always "What I can do for that person". How can I make them happy. What can I do to see them smile, or feel loved. Instead we live in the Generation of the Gimmie Gimmies, and it's even stemming into the dating world.

Love is a Battlefield; we are strong
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I believe in real love. I'm not convinced I'll ever find the love of my life.

I'm 30 and the longest relationship I was in was 2.5 years (freshly out of it). I did love him and my favorite part of our relationship our friendship. My absolute best friend was my lover. It's an amazing feeling until it breaks.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think yes, love at first sight is superficial. You are coveting someone for their looks as you know nothing about the person they are. My first husband told me he fell in love with me across the room at a party. But infact what he fell in love with was at that moment I was having a great time and was surrounded by people. Plus I was younger than him. So I represented all the things he wanted to be at the time. Trouble is, I am generally not that sociable and every one gets older. I don't think he ever forgave me for not living up to his first impressions of what he thought I was like.
    Anyway, yes I do believe in love. But it takes time and hard work. And the best love goes hand in hand with lust. If you have both in a relationship you're onto a good thing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Fatalities at Mt. Rainier National Park

EB 6/11/2008 Muir Snowfiled - Became disoriented in a storm. Made a snow shelter. He became hypothermic and died while shielding his wife from the elements.

FB 3/19/2007 Ipsut Creek - Fell into creek while crossing on log
    RB 3/19/2007 Ipsut Creek - Jumped into Creek to save wife

People sometimes choose to die for their love. Nothing that spellbinding could be overrated, it's more valuable than life itself.

What if they never seen the person before and still die for them what you call that?

Heroism. We lost three fire fighters in Twisp last summer.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Trying to characterize being in a relationship as a general concept is pointless. Being in a relationship isn't inherently better or worse than being single, it depends on the person and the relationship. Of course, I'm sure everyone knows someone that perpetually bounces from one relationship to the next but I imagine it's hard to find actual happiness that way.

I for sure do not believe in love at first sight. I also think people overly romanticize and idealize concepts of love and relationships. It's not about the grand gestures, it's about finding someone you can be happy with doing normal boring things.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    My wife and I met online in an AOL chat room in 2000. We were both in a Cincinnati, Ohio room and she actually wanted to set me up with a friend of hers.

Small world, I use to frequent the Cincinnati, Ohio room around that time.
  • Chrisjuvers
    Chrisjuvers Posts: 2,692 Member
    Options
    The first night I met my husband I told my BFF that he was going to be my next husband.Yes, I was married at the time. I got divorced from hubby #1 and married him after I only knew him for 6 months. We've been married ever since. That was 18 years ago & now we have 4 kids.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    What's your best thing about being in a relationship?

I have a right AND left hand, so three ways are always available.
    Do you think it's over rated?

My hand time, no. I practice a few times each day.

Do you believe in real love, love at first sight or is it all a load of garbage?

If someone else would lend a hand, or other stuff, that would be love and would get a load of garbage.

• lenalovestofish
    lenalovestofish Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Love is blind but lust has 20/20 vision
  • Icheatonmywife
    Icheatonmywife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First I would have to understand what love really is, and what that feels like to believe in it... Not sure I have ever felt LOVE for anyone. I believe people put up with each other, so long as they are nice to each other.

I do believe its way over rated, and don't understand all the fuss about it...

Love at first site is garbage, I believe in LUST at first sight, that all there is
  • lexi3500
    lexi3500 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't trust nobody
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Jarod Kintz said,“Love is a thunderstorm, and I am the desert.”

Maybe that means as much as the desert needs the rain, the thunderstorm gives too much too fast for the desert to absorb, then the storm is over and moves on and the desert remains...still a desert.
    Happiness can be found when you accept the inevitable loss as the nature of Love and embrace it fully unconditionally when you have it. Dance naked in it and make memories before it is over.