Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cardio vs weights.

I want to focus on cardio or weights to lose some weight. Which is a faster way to drop the weight?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Another vote for both to get their differing fitness benefits.
  • anishaadalal
    anishaadalal Posts: 6 Member
    Il do cardio n slowly intergrate weights! Thank youuuuu xx
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    You can't outrun your fork.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Cardio makes your heart strong and helps burn some visceral fat (the fat that surrounds your organs). Strength training will tone and help break down subcutaneous fat, which is the fatty layer just under the skin. With that said, none of these will make you lose weight if you are not eating at a deficit. I highly recommend doing cardio and strength training.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited September 2016

If only it did.... SIGH!

burn subcutaneous fat in a targeted area that is...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited September 2016
  • ole496
    ole496 Posts: 32 Member
    Stick with the basics, the bottom line is only a caloric deficit will get you there. If you increase your exercise, you'll have to eat back the calories anyways to avoid stressing out your body from lack of calories. So if you love to eat hoards of food, then you need to learn to love long bouts of cardio and weight training to counter. You can lose weight on just diet alone, no doubt about it. You can also lose weight by working off what you eat to get your caloric deficit. Most prefer to not have to work out. Either way works, it's all about preference.

If you are pressed for time, try circuit training. This combines weight training and cardio - by moving quickly from machine to machine to keep your heart rate up. It's tough in a busy gym so try to jump on any machine that is open and don't get too picky.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Generally speaking, strength training is for muscles and bones and body fat, while cardio is for BP and other heart health indicators. Cardio is probably more efficient at burning calories, so if you feel guilty about the 3 donuts this morning...

Anecdotally for me I have only lost a 3 lbs lifting weights, but I've already dropped several inches. (My man says i might be building muscle before losing anything.) Clothes fit better and friends noticed. This made me happy and even more motivated than cardio ever did. I'll take what I can get.

You still have to eat well and count calories. It's no good to eat 5000 calories and burn 250 on an elliptical. That's a plan built on hope, not sense.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    I want to focus on cardio or weights to lose some weight. Which is a faster way to drop the weight?

A calorie deficit. Weights will help maintain lean mass and bone density, cardio will help your heart and lungs. Neither will let you out exercise eating too much.
  • eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    A caloric deficit is necessary to burn fat and consequently reduce weight. However, eating less will lower your metabolic rate, reducing your body’s need for energy and ‘shut down’ your body. To counteract this and stimulate your metabolism, weights are particularly effective. Weights have the added benefit of increasing your resting metabolic rate as stronger muscles burn more calories, boosting fat burning 24/7 even when you sleep. No matter what you choose, high intensity is key. A combination of weights and cardio (preferably HIIT) is best, but if you absolutely have to choose one or the other, weights have significantly more benefits for general health.