Lacking drive/motivation to hit the gym

Options
joana1021
joana1021 Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2016 in Motivation and Support
Last week I told myself that I would get back in the gym this week. In fact, all weekend long I kept telling myself that I would log in 3 HIIT classes this week and so far I have been to none. Whenever I think about going, I begin to dread it. I would much rather sleep in or sit on my couch planning my wedding. I'm not sure if I need a buddy or if I just need to get my *kitten* together. Weight loss has been on point dor about the first week and a half but I know i'll hit a plateu soon and I don't want that. :( Ahhh, any advice?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,091 Member
    Options
    Walk instead.

You don't have to do anything hugely intense, especially not at first. Ease into it. Get your fiance and go for a long walk after work ... walk and chat. My husband and I do this quite regularly. Talking at home is difficult because we're both busy and there's the TV and computers, etc., but when it is just the two of us walking down to the beach on an evening, we talk.

Include walking in other parts of your day as well ... part of your commute, at lunch, etc.

Incorporate other activity like taking the stairs. If you work in a building with several floors, do some extra stairs.

If you have a gym membership, maybe there's a different class you'd like better ... perhaps pilates or spinning. Or maybe you just want to go and walk briskly on the treadmill for 30 min.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what was said above! :) leaving the house is the hard bit - once you get there it gets easier :) just take that step !
  • 20pnds_goal
    20pnds_goal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here's a video I watch to get motivated.

https://youtu.be/v85TkqMNExM
  • Maby1987
    Maby1987 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe try BBG? You can do it from the living room, and still watch tv!!
    If you have instagram, look for Kayla Itsines to see what it's about.

I'm not a gym person, I do BBG at home, and now also just started running around the local lake (started last week). Plus it's free ;)
  • joana1021
    joana1021 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advic and the video! I'll keep it all in mind. :)
  • fposte2016
    fposte2016 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I make my first job just to get into the clothes. Then just to go to the gym itself. Then just to do the most minimal workout possible. Worst case scenario, I've logged a crummy workout. But usually I get into it midway through.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    find something on you tube and do it at home. i used fitnessblender.com for ages before joining the gym
    you dont have to exercise if you really dont want to, but you will feel so much better in the long run if you do,
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Just put on your gym shoes.

Don't think about the workout. Just put on your shoes.

By the time you get dressed, shoes and all, it's surprising how much easier it is to follow through.
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You're never going to regret working out once it's done :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    joana1021 wrote: »
    Last week I told myself that I would get back in the gym this week. In fact, all weekend long I kept telling myself that I would log in 3 HIIT classes this week and so far I have been to none. Whenever I think about going, I begin to dread it. I would much rather sleep in or sit on my couch planning my wedding. I'm not sure if I need a buddy or if I just need to get my *kitten* together. Weight loss has been on point dor about the first week and a half but I know i'll hit a plateu soon and I don't want that. :( Ahhh, any advice?

First, DON'T think about it. Just schedule it and do it just like a job. I love my gym and enjoy working out but there are plenty of days where if I asked myself, "Do I feel like working out today?" the answer would be "no", so I don't ask myself anymore. I always feel better afterwards.

However, as mentioned, if you don't like the activity itself, find something you DO like. Just be active and get moving. It doesn't have to be strict or structured.
  • RealtorEstherJC
    Options
    You know what helps? Hiring a personal trainer. Yup! If you put your money in it...you're not going want to waste it. I also weigh myself every day to see progress. It motivates you for sure when you see lbs dropping! :)
  • 22MaiHicka22
    22MaiHicka22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean . I used to cry like a baby on my first two weeks out of pain and tiredness , but I kept pushing myself to get more stronger . No one really stick with me at this and it was really hard . It will get easier I believe ^^ , Do not you want to be extra fabulous on your wedding day? ?? :*