Nutella vs Peanut Butter

Options
FatDadSlim
FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
Is Nutella (Hazelnut chocolate spread) similar in nutritional value to peanut butter and is it ok to have some as part of a healthy breakfast?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    They are not similar nutritionally at all. Peanut butter has more protein and less sugar. Nutella is full of sugar, and doesn't really have anything good about it nutritionally. I'd stick to the peanut butter!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    No, organic peanut butter (nothing but peanuts and, if you want, salt) is much better for you: full of healthy fats. Nutella is really nothing but sugar and processed soybean oil.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have never had Nutella and would need to see the list of ingredients in front of me, but I do know it's not just ground nuts, there is probably added sugar and maybe other things too. I would think natural peanut butter would be a healthier option, but have your Nutella in moderation if you like it, and just keep it in your calorie goal.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    all things in moderation my friend. :) and yes, it is made from hazelnuts so the nutritional makeup is similar... it does have some sugar, and skim milk... it's a nice change tho. there is a REALLY great brand that makes something similar and it's more natural. can't think of the name of it for the moment... but it's on the tip of my brain! i will come back if i remember.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I confess today I bought dark chocolate peanut butter. :-D It has 4grams more sugar than organic PB...so not better...but for a treat on some multigrain toast...yes please!

Edited to say, I thought that was you in your profile pic. Just saw your actual pictures. Have some Nutella, dude! :-)
  • nrcorporan3
    Options
    I gave up my nutella for chocolate dreams pb ....look it up its awesome....leave nutella for a treat not for a daily breakfast staple
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter & Co. makes the BEST PB!! White Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Cinnamon Raisin and Spicy!!
    I have a different kind every day! :)
    I confess today I bought dark chocolate peanut butter. :-D It has 4grams more sugar than organic PB...so not better...but for a treat on some multigrain toast...yes please!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i'm a bug nutella fan but I can't keep it in the house because I know i'll eat to much of it. Peanut Butter & Co. makes a chocolate PB called Dark Chocolate Dreams. It's actually lower cals than JIF and it's all natural. It hits the spot :)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Edited to say, I thought that was you in your profile pic. Just saw your actual pictures. Have some Nutella, dude! :-)

Where in the world did you find dark chocolate peanut butter? I have to have it!!
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, will have a look at the organic peanut butter next time i go shopping.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella. I don't have it thinking, "This is good for me." I have it thinking, "YUM!" and it keeps me from eating a bag of Butterfingers.

Peanut butter has a little more than twice the protein. Granted, that's a matter of 3g per serving in Nutella vs. 7g per serving in PB, so it's not going to make that big a difference either way.

Want something really tasty? Add a teaspoon of Nutella over a tablespoon of PB on whatever you're having. :happy:
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I use almond butter as a substitute for all natural or fat free peanut butter. I put it on sliced bananas or even in my Chocolate Shakeology w/ a banana or whatever. Just an idea.
  • mystiloo
    mystiloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I mix a tsp of Nutella in with my almond butter and have that with my apple. That's got my chocolate fix, fixed! :smile:
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    And pay attention to the label, I think you have to keep organic PB refrigerated and stir it before you use it...because the oil separates...at least the kind I have purchased does.
    Thanks for all the replies, will have a look at the organic peanut butter next time i go shopping.
  • nrcorporan3
    Options
    Yes that's the one I was talking about but couldn't think of the brand name LOL. It's dark chocolate dreams by peanut butter and co. You can find at Walmart and Wholefoods :) its awesome.
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella, any kind of peanut butter, especially PB & Co's Dark Chocolate Dreams! If you enjoy Reese's PB cups, it helps satisfy that craving. I've been following a woman's blog from Sparkpeople and she has recommended PB 2, which is the peanut butter powder that you reconstitute with water. It has all of the oil removed and is a lot less calories because of it. I just ordered a combo pack of regular and chocolate and I'm excited to see how it tastes. She has several recipes and ideas on how to use it on her blog as well. I ordered it straight from Bell Plantation. It's not cheap, to say the least.

You can find Peanut Butter and Company's peanut butter at some grocery stores. I used to get it at Target for $3.69 a jar (it's about $2 more in the grocery store and $6 on PB & Co's website) but I didn't see it the last time I went. :(
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    I love Nutella and eat it sometimes.
    As for peanut butter, i have replaced it with PB2 and Chocolate PB2. It is way better for you than peanut butter and tastes very similar. it's so good!
  • brvanover
    Options
    i
  • brvanover
    Options
    I love Nutella, any kind of peanut butter, especially PB & Co's Dark Chocolate Dreams! If you enjoy Reese's PB cups, it helps satisfy that craving. I've been following a woman's blog from Sparkpeople and she has recommended PB 2, which is the peanut butter powder that you reconstitute with water. It has all of the oil removed and is a lot less calories because of it. I just ordered a combo pack of regular and chocolate and I'm excited to see how it tastes. She has several recipes and ideas on how to use it on her blog as well. I ordered it straight from Bell Plantation. It's not cheap, to say the least.

You can find Peanut Butter and Company's peanut butter at some grocery stores. I used to get it at Target for $3.69 a jar (it's about $2 more in the grocery store and $6 on PB & Co's website) but I didn't see it the last time I went. :(

I ordered my PB2 from netrition.com. It was 3.99 a jar which I didn't think was too bad. I know you can find it at health food stores and there is a store locator on Bell Plantations website, but the closed to me is an hour away :(

You'll love it though, it surprisingly does really taste like peanut butter even though it's a powder. I love it!