New to running/jogging - breathing help

MrsJax11
MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
edited 1:58PM in Fitness and Exercise
I have never been a runner...and I never understood why people did it...I would joke and say the only way I would be running was if someone was chasing me with a cattle prod!
However, I really wanted to kick up my AM walking workout. It already incorporated hills at a brisk pace, so I figured intervals of jogging two blocks and walking one would be good. The problem is that I start having trouble breathing around 10-15 minutes of this and have to walk the remainder of the workout. I have been at this new routine for a week.
I have tried breathing both in and out of the nose, in the nose - out the mouth, in and out the mouth, and counting my breaths in and out to focus on getting more oxygen. I really want to be able to get the whole 25-30 minutes in walking 1 and running two blocks, but can't do it if I can't breathe! Can anyone share some tips on how to breathe better?
It is times like this that I am really thankful that I quit smoking -- imagine how bad off I would be if I hadn't!
TIA for any suggestions...

Replies

• keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    I know some people say you should do nose-breathing but I've tried that and I can NEVER get in enough oxygen. So, I do both nose/mouth breathing, I just try to keep it controlled. Just try not to overthink how you're breathing and do what feels natural to you. They say if you breath in a way that makes your stomach expand, it should help prevent the dreaded side-stitch.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    How fast are you trying to run? Go very slow at first. Just fast enough that you can't comfortably walk.

Lots of people - myself included - used the Couch to 5k plan ( www.c25k.com ) to learn to run. It starts you off at just one minute of running at a time, followed by 2 minutes of walking, repeated 8-9 times, three times a week. Each week builds you up just a little bit more, until at the end of 9 weeks, you're able to run for 30 minutes.

It sounds like you're already doing something similar, but maybe you're either going a little too far or a little too fast at first.

Personally, my breathing is only good when I'm not thinking about it. If I have music on and can't hear my breathing, I do much better. :laugh:
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    I have the same problem its really hard to breathe I don't understand why, so I gave up jogging and now I'm doing kickboxing at home, it kicks my but, I sweat buckets but no problems with breathing... I'll watch your post to see what everyone says. Good luck! :)
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    I pondered this question for ages when I started running. I have come to the conclusion that there is no right way to breathe but you do have to find a natural rhythm for yourself. I do 2 breaths in and 2 out, but that may not suit you. You have to experiment. Also as you are new to running it will take time to sort this out. A lot of it is also in your head - you'll be amazed at how you can actually get to the next lamp post without expiring right there and then on the road. Don't overdo it though - build up gradually.

Best of luck!
  • mystiloo
    mystiloo Posts: 16 Member
    I was told if you are having trouble breathing to slow down? When I first started running I sounded just like you! I thought I was doing it wrong. I tried everyone's suggestions, nose first then mouth, mouth then nose, etc. Finally someone said slow down. I did and it actually helped. Eventually running got easier and easier. Good luck and keep at it, running does melt the inches, not necessarily pounds at first, but keep it up :smile:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    agree with lorina, try a programme to ease you in gently. i would reccommend couch to 5k, worked for me! and once you have music on everything else is just white noise! i dont really pay attention to breathing techniques or other such rubbish- listen to your body and do what it wants you to do!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    I have found that if I don't think about the running I don't have trouble breathing. But when I was new to running I would have to make myself breathe slowly and deeply. When we get winded it is natural to breathe fast and heavy and shallow. Try concentrating on breathing slowly and deeply.
    But, like has already been stated, it will just take some experimenting with it and seeing what works for you the best. I hope some of the suggestions help you find the way the fits you best.
  • jch200
    jch200 Posts: 1
    Good for you- running is a great burn !

I've found that if you wear a heart rate monitor and calculate your optimal rate, you can run for longer. Your body may be telling you it's not getting enough oxygen quickly enough because you're pushing too hard. If I workout at anything higher than 155, my time is limited. Slow down only enough to get a really good breath ( one where you can feel your lungs getting what they need) , then go again at a slower pace.

That being said, as you improve over time, your optimal rate should increase because your heart is more efficient and stronger, so you will need to recalculate your optimal rate. There's lots on the web about calculating your rate.

Lastly, you will burn more calories if you DO push yourself for spurts of hard running, they can be as little as a few minutes. Alternate running at your optimal, with the spurts, and you will burn more, go longer, and feel very accomplished about your workout.

Keep up the great work!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    i can't recall the source -- but I found that this works for me -- focus your attention on exhaling - slowly, with relaxed control -- completely emptying your lungs and the inhaling will take care of itself ... and you avoid getting 'side-stitches' or that short erratic breathing that tires you out and leaves you "breathless"
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Lots of good info here. I think one of the biggest mistakes is that people try to bo to much to fast.
    Slow it down until your breathing gets easier.
    I had taken some time off the treadmill after an injury. I am slowly getting back up to the distance and speed that I was at before.

Just as with dieting, slow weight lost is the healthiest.
    As indicated by someone couch to 5k is a good plan to help with your goals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I have come to the conclusion that there is no right way to breathe but you do have to find a natural rhythm for yourself. I do 2 breaths in and 2 out, but that may not suit you.

I noticed I do short two breaths out, one deep breath in, exactly like the "We Will Rock You" drum beat. :laugh:
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    you're not racing, so slow down to a comfortable, deep breath possible pace.

i HIGHLY recommend the C25K (couch to 5K) program to build your running. it takes you in 9 weeks from not being a runner to running over 30 minutes! yes....all 200lbs of me started it this january and ran a 5K in april. have done 2 more since because it is SO rewarding!

if you have a smart phone or ipod, there are all kinds of aps for c25k. myself, i just have a standard phone and standard mp3 player so i used the following mp3 downloads for my program and LOVED IT. it is pretty current music, the trainer comes on and tells you when to walk and when to run. it's that simple. you do each "week" 3 times before moving on to the next. give it a try!

mp3 downloads- http://www.mediafire.com/?539e7bpymd4kt

c25k plan- http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Go slow at first. I breathe in through my nose and out my mouth, but if I'm running faster I just breathe out my mouth. Also, to prevent side aches, breathe out when you left foot is hitting the ground, not your right because since your liver is on the right side of your body and is connected to your diaphragnm it will pull it down if you exhale on the right foot landing and if you are going to fast it will cause that dreaded side ache that makes you feel like someone just stabbed you. Good luck and friend me if you want! I am a runner too!
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Ok, now don't laugh at this one but it worked for me since I had the same problem with cycling. I would run/fast walk/cycle and I would be huffing and puffing because I couldn't breathe. The trick I used is to focus on it like in lamaze class and breathe like that in one slow focused breath in and a focused breath out. Don't do the multiple puff bit you're supposed to do when you're in labor but in slow long breaths. I don't have the huffing and puffing problems anymore.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Couch to 5k is an amazing program. If you want to do it on your own, here is a week to week breakdown of the plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It could be asthma induced by exercise, if that's the case, you should see a doctor.

My exercise and allergy induced asthma has actually come under complete control since starting this program, week 5 next week! YAY!

Anyway, I think you're overdoing it.

I am conscious of my breathing and stepping when I run, I'm a nerd like that. Since being in karate for a couple years, I've really learned how to control my breathing. Did you know that just 2 large slow meditative breaths can slow your heart rate about 10%, even in a high adrenaline situation? (especially good in a self defense situation) I usually find myself taking deep deep breaths when I jog, usually, 3 steps to breathe in, 2-3 steps to breathe out. I have to admit though, that I do a very slow jog, only 4.2mph. for now.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    I have found the in the nose, out the mouth method works the best, BUT you cannot keep your mouth closed. Partly open your mouth to allow the correct amount of oxygen in and out and you do need to focus on taking "normal" breaths. Too deep or too short of breaths can actually deplete your oxygen and leave you light headed or out of breath. Aim for somewhere in the middle.
  • zakam
    zakam Posts: 4 Member
    I have only been walk/running for 3 months now but I find that if I run slowly, it's much easier to control my breathing. It's funny because I can power walk faster than I can run.. LOL
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Also, to prevent side aches, breathe out when you left foot is hitting the ground, not your right because since your liver is on the right side of your body and is connected to your diaphragnm it will pull it down if you exhale on the right foot landing and if you are going to fast it will cause that dreaded side ache that makes you feel like someone just stabbed you.

For real? Oh wow, I am going to try breathing this way. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.