Best way to not eat to much

Options
I have has these bad temptations over the summer to eat and not realizing i gained 15 pounds and im trying to loose it and im not used to not having as much food... Any tips/advice is helpful! Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food on a food scale so you know exactly how much you're eating. Prelog your meals so you know how many calories you have left if you want to have a treat.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tyler7156 wrote: »
    I have has these bad temptations over the summer to eat and not realizing i gained 15 pounds and im trying to loose it and im not used to not having as much food... Any tips/advice is helpful! Thanks

Weigh and measure everything you are eating. Try to eat more proteins and filling foods so you can go longer between meals if you have to have 3 meals a day. If you can manage several small meals throughout the day that might work best as well. Keep veggies like carrot sticks, broccoli, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc in the house (if you like them) because they are great to snack on since they are very low in calories and will keep you full between meals. It takes two weeks to get a new habit started so after doing it for about two weeks your body will get used to eating less.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how weighing food helps a person who's having a problem with eating less.

OP, to stand a better chance of eating less, you need to select that kind of foods that less likely triggers your appetite, and the foods that leave you satisfied longer. I would avoid soda, sugary stuff such as donut. I have had so much success with plain avocado, raw cashews, boiled eggs, simple sandwich.

On top of that, find activities or places to go during the time when you usually eat. There's time in the day when the body is hungrier than normal. Target those times.

This.

Also - don't drastically reduce your calories straight away. For example, if you are used to eating say 2500 per day - don't just go cold turkey to 1200! drop cals slowly 100 each week or every 2 weeks.

BTW - I don't like the 1200 default either, so work out your actual needs using TDEE calculator.

It's too hard to go from lots of food to hardly any food.

And make good choices that work for you in terms of keeping you full.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Another vote for proteins and fibrous foods. I don't do low carb but for me, keeping my carbs near 50% took a little effort. Previously I'd have cereal for breakfast, sandwich at lunch with maybe a cookie, and some kind of starchy carb with dinner. Maybe dessert. For me at least, it's way easier to feel full if I reduce those carbs, especially those of the sugary variety.

And don't try to rush the process! Slow and steady wins the race.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Eat multiple, small meals throughout the day. Doesn't have to be limited to 3 big meals. Also, feel free to snack in moderation. You can eat small snacks throughout the day. This way you can eat more of what you want while reaching your goal. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Tracking food and counting calories just makes you aware of your intake, it doesn't automatically make you eat less. This method works for a lot of people, but not everybody. Some people can get too obsessed with the numbers (and aim to eat as little as possible, or less than possible) while others see it as a game (and aim to get as much as possible out of their calories). Fewer, bigger meals work for some, whereas more and smaller meals work for others. Some people feel full from volume, others by denser foods. Some need variety, others will overeat from the perception of too many choices. Lots of people like to have a small "treat" every day, for others, those same foods are "trigger foods" that they have to avoid. To succeed, one has to get wants in line with needs - eat food that satisfies and not trigger overeating. As this thread has already shown, that will be individual.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree have to agree with the counting and weighing. It is sort of like a check book, I can write checks against the amount on the check register, and when it goes to zero, not more check writing.

This is a method that can and does work from some. In addition to using the "check writing" method, less calorie dense foods but choose foods that provide satiety and allow a person to feel fuller longer .. lean meats, chicken fruits veggies, healthy fats and foods that contain ample fiber. Perhaps volume snacks like popcorn, etc.

Another thing, prelog. You can prelog snacks or things you may eat everyday.

Meal timing may work. Eat larger meals and small snacks, or a person may be a grazer or need 6 small meals.

Its all down to personal choice. Try one method for a week, etc.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Weighing and logging everything is a diet must as eveyone has said. I think the main thing I've learnt is sticking to a routine that's works for you. Weighing and logging needs to be automatic and I have found that sometimes it can be difficult. I have taken to photographing everything I eat and drink. That way if I'm in a rush to serve up food or don't have time to log, I can do it later. Especially when I use things that I need to subtract, take a photo before on the scales and then after.
    gienwhzkaw9b.jpeg

1qz57eil4mrz.jpeg

But the greatest part is you can look over your photos and actually visible see everything you have eaten. It really works. I just wish there was a way on MFP to attached a photo to every food log. I use another app called food logger to upload my daily meal pictures.

Seeing it all laid out instead of just words and numbers.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Does your scale display negative values? I use that when I scoop out.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It could be simply what you're eating is really high in calories. Start logging what you eat and you'll learn what that food is or was. Logging food for a while is a great way to educate yourself of where you're going wrong with eating.
    it isn't that you eat too much…just eating something way high in calories and you don't realize that.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Does your scale display negative values? I use that when I scoop out.

Yes but I prefer to do the before and after because sometimes it much later. i.e when I'm in the office I will weigh, eat straight from the pot over a period of time and then re weigh later.
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1-2 gallon water daily, high fiber, Low carb high protein high fat = never hungry
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Keep your carbs and sugar low... you'll avoid large swings in blood sugar and will make life so much easier... You'll eat less w/o trying. Drinking more water helps too. Replace your carbs with fat to stay satisfied. :)
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Distractions! Plan your calories in the am,so you know what and when you can eat during the day. Get antsy in between go for short walks,find a 10 minute youtube workout,make a cup of herbal tea. Assess if you are truly hungry,adjust your protein intake accordingly.
    Im no expert,Im only 3 weeks in this time. But in 2010-2011 I lost 35 lbs using this site.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Tyler7156 wrote: »

Make a plan and stick to it. Pre-log your food, weigh all solids and measure all liquids.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Andrea4456 wrote: »
    Keep your carbs and sugar low... you'll avoid large swings in blood sugar and will make life so much easier... You'll eat less w/o trying. Drinking more water helps too. Replace your carbs with fat to stay satisfied. :)

This is personal preference only and does not work for some people.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein keep me filled up between meals (or after). I can completely substitute dinner for a protein mixed berry smoothie made with whole milk and be too full to finish it.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    There is a notes section in MFP's food diary. You can make note of which foods keep you full, and which don't. Base your meals around what keeps you full, and add lots lower calorie veggies to give you volume.

Some suggested low carb, which might work for you. I prefer a mix of fats, carbs (with a decent amount of fiber), and protein. Foods like baked or roasted potatoes, black beans, avocado, beef/pork, and barley keep me full, so I keep them in my regular reduced-calorie diet.

Drink a decent amount of water and know that you don't have to eat when you aren't hungry. You can eat twice a day or six times a day - it's up to you! If you're having difficulty in specific situations, try to change your behavior and you might find you're not as hungry as you thought.
    If you eat snacks while watching tv, try to portion them out before or make a rule to only eat at the table. If you're grazing at parties or picnics, try not to sit where you can reach or see the food table (I do this because I have no ability to moderate my chip and dip intake when they're sitting in front of me). If you need a snack immediately when you get home from work, make an effort to do something else first for 15 minutes or so (take the dog out, sort laundry, etc.), then see if the sensation passes.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump