What am I doing wrong

Long story short, I used to go to the gym back in '10 (I was 26 back then, if it makes any difference). I believe I started to get serious about it in Feb( I maybe a few months off), by August '10 I was lean. Definitely can see the tone and somewhat six packs definition. While right now, it's completely different story. I've been routinely going to the gym 5x-6x/week for the past 2 years. I'm pretty sure I'm lifting heavier than I did back in '10, I can't add anymore weight ( I feel like my muscles strength is already maxed out, and some days I can't even lift the same amount of weight like I did the previous week). I'm doing 3 days weight and 2 days cardio(elliptical ~500 Cal/day). And I have yet to see the same result back in '10. I'm really disappointed and discouraged. Many times I question myself if all this time I spent at the gym is all worthless

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Once your lifting is stalled it is time to move on to an intermediate program (that's if you are doing a progressive overload program to begin with. If you are making up a program it's time to find one).

Tone and definition has a lot to do with bf% and if you are in a deficit. you never mentioned how much you were eating and your stats
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited September 2016
    Do you have a calorie deficit? I heard that those are beneficial in regards to losing weight. I'd say continue your routine with a calorie deficit. After I started counting calories, I noticed results. I used to work out very hard everyday and barely saw results but the calorie deficit helps.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Lack of sleep, not eating enough the day before, not being hydrated enough, can all make me not able to lift as much from one workout to the next.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Also bad form, not following a good program, going heavy too quickly, etc can stall progress (not accusing you of this since I have no idea how you lift but these are factors too)
  • keranjangbelanjaan
    keranjangbelanjaan Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Once your lifting is stalled it is time to move on to an intermediate program (that's if you are doing a progressive overload program to begin with. If you are making up a program it's time to find one).

Tone and definition has a lot to do with bf% and if you are in a deficit. you never mentioned how much you were eating and your stats

I just recently switched from doing both low reps (4-8) and high reps (6-12) on the same workout day to doing high and low reps on separate weeks.

As far as caloric deficit wise I didn't count my calorie intake back then so kinda hard to know. I did however take oxyelitepro which was awesome, but unfortunately it's not safe. Now, I'm trying my best to track it, also kinda hard since I don't have scale and I prepare my own food so obviously there's no barcode. I typically just eye ball them
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    There are dozens of reasons you might not get good results:
    - Diet
    - Sleep
    - Stress
    - Hormones (insulin, testosterone, thyroid)
    - Inadequate muscle stimulation
    - Stagnant programming
    - Inadequate rest

I'm not really sure what your goals are besides looking like you did six years ago. Take some time to set a SMART goal, and then evaluate each of the above.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer,
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I agree with @LUHAN27 - Look at your calories in.

In 2010 you were either:
    • burning more through exercise or other daily activities
    • eating less

Or (most likely) a bit of both.

Exercise and your time spent int he gym isn't pointless but if your goal is lower body fat then managing your "calories in" is the best way to achieve that.
  • Ignite_
    Ignite_ Posts: 19 Member
    Long story short, I used to go to the gym back in '10 (I was 26 back then, if it makes any difference). I believe I started to get serious about it in Feb( I maybe a few months off), by August '10 I was lean. Definitely can see the tone and somewhat six packs definition. While right now, it's completely different story. I've been routinely going to the gym 5x-6x/week for the past 2 years. I'm pretty sure I'm lifting heavier than I did back in '10, I can't add anymore weight ( I feel like my muscles strength is already maxed out, and some days I can't even lift the same amount of weight like I did the previous week). I'm doing 3 days weight and 2 days cardio(elliptical ~500 Cal/day). And I have yet to see the same result back in '10. I'm really disappointed and discouraged. Many times I question myself if all this time I spent at the gym is all worthless

Take a week off and up your carbs for that week - then drop the weights to 80% of your 1RM and change the order of your exercise within your routine. Also give feedback on what your routine is like and if you are increasing reps/weight each week, that is if you are progressively overloading.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    You say you are pretty sure you are lifting heavier? You should be logging both your exercise and your food intake and get on a good intermediate training plan that cycles rather than pushing your max each week. That type of pounding will take a toll on your body over time and you need to learn to ramp up and relax your intensity and volume; a good intermediate program will do that.

My program right now is Wendler 5/3/1 but there are a lot of great intermediate programs around if you search. You need to get a little more structured in your programming, rest and diet and you'll start to progress again, albeit much slower since you are a more advanced lifter. Good luck.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    So buy a scale? They're not expensive. It's totally irrelevant how much you were eating six years ago. Things change. So if you want to get serious, start seriously logging because eyeballing clearly isn't working for you.
  • Check and re check your dieting. Not starving yourself or not drinking enough water even not having enough rest perhaps.