Water and other drinks

Options
Hi,

I'm new MyFitnessPal user, and I'd like to know if the suggested daily Water amount really needs to be plain water?

Other water-based drinks, like juices, coffee, skimmed milk aso. contain also mostly water, so I wonder if they could be somehow calculated to the total amount of consumed drinks/water.

I understand the consumed energy aspect, and therefore drinks containing energy must be categorized somehow to show the energy, but these drinks could also sum up the total amount of "water".

Or is there a medical or similar reason to drink just plain water for 2 liters a day?

All the best,

Kari

Replies

• Ignite_
    Ignite_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am sure your teeth, skin and adrenal glands would be happy if you cut back on the sugar and all the other preservatives you plan on drinking. Yes some of it does count for water but why consume empty calories if it would benefit you more by drinking water?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The two litres thing was supposed to include water contained in food too. Any drinks can count imo as long as caloried are accounted for.
  • jalomasteri
    jalomasteri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I drink for example orange juice in the Morning (200ml), have 3xcoffees during day (3x150ml) and eat a soup (400ml), this makes around 1000ml.

I just thought if I could mark some "food" as mostly water-based drink, it would be added in suitable level to total water amont.

But, I can live with this as is :)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @jalomasteri you've got it. All fluids except for alcohol count. Of course that OJ comes with calories too, so don't forget to count that.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have days I don't log water at all. I wouldn't sweat it. I have logged it all summer because it has been so darned hot that I have needed to drink more to avoid dehydration. When I count I drink 10-12 8oz glasses daily and it's all water. I count my coffee separately.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If the drink has calories in it, I'll log it as what it is. I log water and low/no calorie drinks (unsweet tea, coffee, etc...) when I remember, but don't sweat it.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Just water.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I wasn't stating that it doesn't hydrate you. I was just saying that's what the water logger is meant for. Everyone uses it different ways though, some log tea, coffee, etc. on this tool
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    All liquids count towards your water intake (except alcohol, though certain beers don't have a high alcohol content, so even they can count towards your hydration if you are moderating your intake).

I don't even log water. I log liquids if they have calories, but even calorific fluids count towards my water intake. I just make sure my urine is straw-colored or clear. If it gets darker, then I drink more fluids. No need to overthink it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's no need to record water intake or stick to, or aim for, a set amount.

Any particular reason you think you should?

Perhaps some medical condition that means your thirst reflex doesn't work or your urine doesn't give you a guide to hydration levels?
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I seem to struggle with dehydration. Need to work on that. I also love me some diet Pepsi and will choose that over water if not carefuel, even if I'm super thirsty.

I count the black coffee and clear teas I drink as water. Juice and pop I do not. Though they do count towards our daily fluid. I think it's mostly personal preference. But I log everything in my diary calories or not.