Question about squats for the ladies.

Options
What weight did you start with? Where did you end up and how long did it take to get there? I just started squatting with weights (before weights I just squatted with a 10lb ball) a couple weeks ago. I started at 65lbs and today I am at 125lbs. I just feel like that's a really low weight when I read all these posts from women on here that are squatting well over 200lbs. So I'm just wondering how long it took to get that heavy? Thanks!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    When starting back squats most people start with an empty bar so 45 lbs. Are you doing a progressive program that has increases built into it?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Also have you had a trainer check your form and make sure it was good and that you are hitting at least parallel?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @singingflutelady has it. I started with the preloaded barbells once I could handle weight. At my last meet, I squatted 127.5kg/280ish lb on my third. My squat has been rebuilt a few times as I've come back from injuries not related to squatting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I started with 30# about two years ago. My max now is 115. Back squats are not a favorite of mine. I keep trying for the challenge but I far prefer other squatting exercises, like barbell hack squats. They are more comfortable to me.

I think there are more people than you realize who don't squat big. Most people don't post about it though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I started with siting on a box and trying to stand up again, 3 sets of 12 with my trainer motivating me the whole time...I couldn't actually sit down for days without groaning

2 years later I do working squats 3x8-12 of 60 to 70kg (132-154lbs) to work on full range of motion (aiming for A2G,not managing yet) ...I presume, but never test, cos it's not my goal that's 70-80% of my 1 rep max
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Started with the bar and worked up to 125 over almost 2 years. Super slow progress but I've only been CONSISTENTLY squatting for about 2 months.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Just wanted to add that, like bench press, my squat is affected pretty much immediately when I start cutting calories. I've gone back to cutting on 1900 per day (not low at all) and already my squat feels so much more difficult. I've only ever increased it when eating at maintenance or above.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You've gone from 10 lbs to 125 in a short time! That's terrific!!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Also have you had a trainer check your form and make sure it was good and that you are hitting at least parallel?

I am not doing any program, just doing my own thing. I don't have a trainer because I can't afford one. I go to Planet Fitness because it is so cheap but I wouldn't trust any of the workers there to show me anything.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    dont worry about the number on the bar, Lift what is heavy and challenging for you, everyone is different, there are so many factors involved in who can squat 100 or 200 or 300 or whatever. Training, weight, age, genetics, mood etc.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic -
    I see that you aren't following a programme because you don't have a trainer, but why not try a free one like Stronglifts 5x5. That is what I am about to start using having bought a weight set up for home due to childcare and rural location. No chance of a trainer for me but it is free, has form videos and a structured approach.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The problem with weight lifting programs is that they are excruciatingly boring to me. So I made up my own routine that I find fun and keeps me interested. Also I have severe scoliosis and a big hump on one side of my back, so I will not do any bending over in public because that is a big phobia of mine. So some of the lifts in programs like deadlifts aren't going to happen.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Glad you found something fun that you like. I do SL, started 4 months ago but I can't do back squats just yet. I have some immobility issues with my shoulder I'm trying to work through so I started with landmine squats. Got up to 100lbs, then switched to front squats at about 55lbs and now I'm up to 100 on them. I don't look forward to them because they are hard! I hope someday to do a back squat for the entire 5x5.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well - a year ago my max was around 155-165 and today I can squat 225lbs for one, maybe more.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    You mentioned planet fitness. Are you using the squat rack or Smith machine.

You should take a video of you squatting and share it just as a form check because there are many form errors that can come back and bite you later which are easier to fix now than later.

Also you should check out Allan thrall's squat form videos on YouTube
  • jemhh
    Options
    The problem with weight lifting programs is that they are excruciatingly boring to me. So I made up my own routine that I find fun and keeps me interested. Also I have severe scoliosis and a big hump on one side of my back, so I will not do any bending over in public because that is a big phobia of mine. So some of the lifts in programs like deadlifts aren't going to happen.

I would think that your scoliosis could be affecting your progress as well. Not that it makes it impossible to progress, just that it may require some adjustments along the way.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You mentioned planet fitness. Are you using the squat rack or Smith machine.

You should take a video of you squatting and share it just as a form check because there are many form errors that can come back and bite you later which are easier to fix now than later.

Also you should check out Allan thrall's squat form videos on YouTube

came to ask this.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you're on a standard program or one that you've made up for yourself, you should still stick with the principles of progression. This should go for all of your exercises. If you're just going into the gym without a plan, you're going to spin your wheels. Different ways of progression that you could try (1) pick a number of reps that you want to hit (3,5,8,10, whatever) and start with a weight that is lighter than you think you need. Next time you go to the gym add 2-5lbs for the same number of reps...wash, rinse, repeat. (2) Same principal, but only add weight once a week or once a month. (3) Rep progression...like 1&2 but if your goal is 8 reps, start with something you can do for 4-5reps and keep doing that until you reach 8. Once you reach 8 reps, add 2-5lbs the next time. This might make it so you can only do 5-6 the next time and that's the point. Keep doing that weight until you can do 8...wash/rinse/repeat. (4) the last one I'll mention is part of an established program but can be adapted to virtually any exercise. If you look up wendler 5/3/1 there are a lot post and articles etc. Essentially, week 1 you're going to work up to a set of 5 reps with a % of your max, the next week 3 with a higher % and the last week 1. The 4th week you ease off then add 5 lbs to your max, recalculate all your percentages and start again. This is a much slower progression and is more of an intermediate program, but it does give you a little more variety in your reps from week to week.