Tips for getting past emotional eating when going through a hard time?

Options
I've been in a new city 3,000 miles from home for about a year and I gained about 50-60 lbs since I've moved here! I've struggled to make friends, I miss my family, I'm 30 years younger than all my coworkers, and my boyfriend works late hours so I'm alone a lot and a bit depressed. I've tried making friends through active hobbies like sports, but I ended up getting injured.

There are days when I spend the entire day thinking about my next meal since that's the highlight of the day to me..

Any advice on how to stay strong? The weight is definitely putting a lot of stress on my body...

Replies

• littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with similar issues (new city, too much time on my hands, food as highlight) and I found some great instructors to learn yoga and pilates from for free on the internet, which is helping me mind body and spirit! Just incorporating a 15 minutes at a time into my day has really improved my quality of life! Good luck to you.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Can you join a gym? Is there a YWCA or Planet Fitness near you? You could walk on the treadmill, which shouldn't cause injuries.

What about finding a nonprofit/charity you could volunteer for? Every city and town has nonprofits that need volunteers, from the SPCA to soup kitchens to groups that help the environment. Volunteering is a good way to make friends with people who are interested in the same thing. (Years ago, I met my husband volunteering plus made several lifelong friends...)

Good luck to you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Can you join a gym? Is there a YWCA or Planet Fitness near you? You could walk on the treadmill, which shouldn't cause injuries.

What about finding a nonprofit/charity you could volunteer for? Every city and town has nonprofits that need volunteers, from the SPCA to soup kitchens to groups that help the environment. Volunteering is a good way to make friends with people who are interested in the same thing. (Years ago, I met my husband volunteering plus made several lifelong friends...)

Good luck to you.

I agree with these suggestions. Also, connect with your family online or through facetime or Skype.
  • extrapj
    extrapj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with similar issues (new city, too much time on my hands, food as highlight) and I found some great instructors to learn yoga and pilates from for free on the internet, which is helping me mind body and spirit! Just incorporating a 15 minutes at a time into my day has really improved my quality of life! Good luck to you.

That sounds lovely, would you be willing to name any of these instructors?
    PennWalker wrote: »

Good luck to you.

Thank you for your input! I wish there was a planet fitness near me. Before I moved I lived very close to one and it was amazing, I went every day and maintained a weight that made me really happy. Sadly, where I am the only gym nearbye is very expensive and the more affordable ones are rather far, which is a problem as I do not have a car.

Volunteering is something I'll work more on for sure, that's a great idea. I'm going to start volunteering at a local museum the week after this and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Also, connect with your family online or through facetime or Skype.

I try! There were a few weddings, cancer diagnosis', deaths in the family since I left, so it's been rough being so far from them and I try to talk to them as much as possible. Any vacation time I get is dedicated to going home and being pulled in every direction, haha.
  • jnm120
    jnm120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is a great place to start. She's friendly, upbeat, and has something for everyone.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    One last thought about fitness. Does your city have a hospital? Hospitals often have free classes and events for the public, everything from stop smoking classes to fitness walks along a river etc. that they sponsor. The hospital in my town sponsors walks all spring, summer and fall. If you have a hospital, you might call and ask if they have community classes and events.
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do yoga by candace and finally got up the courage to do Boho Beautiful's workouts. She's intimidating at first because she's so fit and cute, but her pilates challenge changed my life and she's so encouraging that it's only a matter of time before you can do all the moves. sometimes I have to not fangirl out in the comments because I like her videos so much I feel like she's my friend :)
  • Karissa_K79
    Karissa_K79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get outside for some fresh air! ☺️ Play run jump and go for a walk. Those things always makes me feel like a kid again and it burns off energy and negative energy. Also eat a real good breakfast. I'm learning that if I eat more calories at breakfast I eat less calories at night. That's when all the emotions tumble in for me. Good luck to you. Please add me if you want to talk. That also helps let emotions out.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I struggle with the opposite. If I have any emotional stress or excitement I cannot eat. My appetite disappears.
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken .
    I struggle with the opposite. If I have any emotional stress or excitement I cannot eat. My appetite disappears.

-

Completely agree, which is very difficult when I'm trying to gain weight
  • txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm no expert but I am an emotional eater myself. So I know some things can absolutely trigger my pig-out sessions.

I haven't yet figured out my alternative comfort to pigging out, though my husband thinks it could be writing on here lol. Maybe that's an idea?

Do you have a hobby that you really like doing that will distract you and bolster your confidence enough to side track you away from the temptation?

Whatever it is that you enjoy, or trying a new hobby, maybe crafting or writing or music?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options

wow, all I do is eat when stressed. Exercise has helped a lot though, good substitute. I walk or get my bike out and good way of meeting people. Of course I had rather eat than deal so I have to work on it. Most of it is being aware of it in my opinion