Picky eater and need ideas!

Options
Honestly I've been a rather spoiled eater but I want to change that nd grt healthy I'm extremely picky as well though. Ive done this before where I've went and bought healthy food and just won't eat it becuase I don't like it so then I just end up not eating at all which I'm well aware is not good for you. Please give me some ideas!!!

I don't like avacodes!!!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. Life is too short to eat food we don't like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to change your eating habits, do that. If you don't want to change, then don't. Only you, and what you do, can change your preferences.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sardines!

(My point: without knowing what you like, how can we give you ideas?)

but seriously: sardines! on a salad. Or on crackers. YUM.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I don't like okra or tilapia, so I don't eat them. Everything else is fair game, in moderation of course!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I hate kale, oatmeal, spinach, beets, tangerines and boiled peanuts (these are nasty) so I do not eat these at all. My list actually could get very long... There is enough other stuff still plenty in nutrition so no need to eat things you hate.

Never feel the need you HAVE to. But eat all the things you like!!!!! :):)
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just focus on finding the things you DO like!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eat mostly what you like and make it an ongoing project to try new foods.

Pick one thing each week that you think is healthy, buy a small amount, and google a five star recipe. Repeat the recipes you love.

And never eat avocado again.

Avocado is good because it is full of heathy fats. But you can get those same fats from flax oil, flax meal, or fatty fish like salmon.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Food has nutrients. In a healthy diet you will be meeting your body's needs. You do not need to eat every food on the planet to do that.

Protein- beef, chicken, pork, fish, tofu, nuts, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, peas, beans, lentils, nut butters, eggs, other meats
    Vegetables and Fruits- any of them fresh, frozen or canned... try preparing them in different ways like roasting, grilling, stir fry.
    Grains- oatmeal, bread, pasta, rice, cereals, corn, barley https://www.choosemyplate.gov/grains

So pizza, hamburgers, tacos, pasta have nutrition and can be part of a healthy diet. Foods like chips, candy, cake, ice cream are low in nutrition but can still be part of a healthy diet in smaller quantities.

What do you usually eat? What do you like?
    Start adding foods to your usual diet and make smaller changes.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Honestly I've been a rather spoiled eater but I want to change that nd grt healthy I'm extremely picky as well though. Ive done this before where I've went and bought healthy food and just won't eat it becuase I don't like it so then I just end up not eating at all which I'm well aware is not good for you. Please give me some ideas!!!

I don't like avacodes!!!

It's an age thing. When you're young you eat based on what you like or don't like, depending on how successful your parents were in forcing you to eat what what they provided. When you get a bit older you make conscious intelligent decisions based on health and nutrition goals, and perhaps current fads and trends. Even older than that, you eat based on what the doctor says. You could wait and go through the phases, or you could change now.

You're here on MFP so I assume you want to change something. The main principle here is Calorie Deficit, so as long as your daily activities balance out with your calorie intake to create a deficit, you'll lose weight despite the type of foods you eat. But health isn't only about weight, so the chart also allows you to measure things like sodium, fat, and sugar, all of which can contribute unhealthy outcomes in individuals.

We're here to support each other, so make a start, and come back with any questions or problems you have.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Urg, yes *kitten* avocados. If you want to expand your food palate try things at least three times, with at least a month in between. Some times you will find you like them, other times you will find you still dislike them. Also, you can try to 'hide' things- like doing mashed potatoes with half potatoes and half cauliflower.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I don't like avacodes!!!

It's an age thing. When you're young you eat based on what you like or don't like, depending on how successful your parents were in forcing you to eat what what they provided. When you get a bit older you make conscious intelligent decisions based on health and nutrition goals, and perhaps current fads and trends. Even older than that, you eat based on what the doctor says. You could wait and go through the phases, or you could change now.

You're here on MFP so I assume you want to change something. The main principle here is Calorie Deficit, so as long as your daily activities balance out with your calorie intake to create a deficit, you'll lose weight despite the type of foods you eat. But health isn't only about weight, so the chart also allows you to measure things like sodium, fat, and sugar, all of which can contribute unhealthy outcomes in individuals.

We're here to support each other, so make a start, and come back with any questions or problems you have.

can I get some of these arbitrary age ranges?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Re: trying new things. I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume you don't like certain veggies. Try a new veggie several times. Try it raw, try it steamed, try it roasted. Start with fresh, start with frozen. The texture of the veggie will change. You may hate something raw but like it roasted. You may hate certain frozen veggies (like I hate almost all canned ones). But you may find other frozen veggies are just fine. It's a texture thing, I dislike frozen green beans but fresh steamed are yummy. You will learn to like (or at least tolerate) a wider variety.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Knowing what you think is healthy eating and why you think you are picky would help. Also knowing what kind of foods you want to eat more of and don't like would help.

There is no one definition to eating healthy.

Healthy eating, based on my own opinion, would look like this (substitute meat if you are a vegetarian):

Eat foods low in fat and cholesterol like fruits, vegetables, fat-free/low-fat dairy, whole grains, fish, poultry, beans, seeds and nuts. Also eat foods high in potassium like bananas.

Eat less sugar, salt, and red meat than that of the Standard American Diet.
    • Grains: 7-8 servings/day (Whenever you can, eat whole-grain products rather than those made with refined/white flour. )
    • Vegetables: 4-5 servings/day (Eat as many veggies as you want.)
    • Fruit: 4-5 servings/day
    • Low-fat or fat-free dairy: 2-3 servings/day
    • Lean meats, poultry, and fish: 2 or fewer servings/day
    • Nuts and seeds: 4-5 servings/week
    • Fats & oils: 2 -3 servings per day
    • Sweets: 5 servings per week
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't waste your money on it. Just eat the foods you do like, but keep the portions within your calorie goals.